UK couple driven to suicide by poverty and neglect

More
12 years 5 months ago #402730 by max2

canajanz;397806 wrote: Everyone said "ooo you'll never get a job at your age"
14 applications resulted in 7 interviews and 6 offers.

I KNOW there are young fit capable people sitting at home in MY town collecting their benefit and I KNOW that the bulk of the workforce down the road from me is itinerant/foreign/student labour.

In a small town you really get to connect the dots ... employers place ads but dont get many takers ... no-one wants to do manual labour ... unemployed youth roaming the streets during the day and holding up the bars at night ....

There ARE jobs out there ... just not everyone is entitled to managment status.

Good post, totally agree. I work in a small town and we have a vacancy. I am a bit over the ''can I have cash coz it will affect my benefit and they will take it from me" conversation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402747 by kindajojo
Most people are not permanent beneficiaries, people move through the system and most get a job within 3 months. It is healthy to have a certain level of unemployment (for employers only) and people who have unfortunately lost employment need time to retrain or look into other options, thats why there is severance pay and redundancy, and in most cases you get some notice.
If you have not found a job in three months get help as to why?
Having Mongrel tattoed on your head doesnt help,
A lot want a specific job or school leavers who think they can get $18.00 per hour, and surprise they have to actually turn up to work on time and WORK .....all day.
And the boss in the boss......
If you drink on Payday and dont turn up the next day guess what.......
Turning up stoned isnt helpful

I know an employer who asked his employees would they work for the day for nothing ..............the ones that told him to F*&^ off didnt get a job , the ones that were prepared to work for the day for nothing were hired as they had the right attitude.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402890 by 3scoremiles10

kindajojo;398251 wrote: I know an employer who asked his employees would they work for the day for nothing ..............the ones that told him to F*&^ off didnt get a job , the ones that were prepared to work for the day for nothing were hired as they had the right attitude.

So only slaves need apply? [:(!]

More
12 years 5 months ago #402896 by Cinsara

3scoremiles10;398401 wrote: So only slaves need apply? [:(!]

So every housewife/husband is a slave? LOL :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 5 months ago #404668 by igor
www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-livin...isadvantaged-viewers
Since when was television a need? Many of us working people have television but are too busy working to watch it.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404672 by Cinsara

igor;400383 wrote: www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-livin...isadvantaged-viewers
Since when was television a need? Many of us working people have television but are too busy working to watch it.

In my day all you needed to attend shool was a pen, some paper and your lunch. These days many schools demand you have a lap top, expectations change eg my grandmother did her washing in a copper and beat the dust our of her carpets, there is no way I think my auto washer and vacuum are unnecessary just because she didn't need them lol :D

>

More
12 years 5 months ago #404673 by Cinsara

igor;400383 wrote: www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-livin...isadvantaged-viewers

Gasp, I need my tele [:0]

>

More
12 years 5 months ago #404726 by Ronney

And therein Igor, you have the crux of the whole matter. We have a TV which I never watch. I lived many years without one and if it disappeared off the face of the earth I wouldn't miss it. I have a cellphone. I can never find it and when I do the battery is flat. I don't use it. Neither the TV or the cellphone are a need, they are an expensive luxury. I can remember when owning a fridge was a luxury.

Having said that, I also own three vehicles. How many are a need? Just one. A ute because it's sensible but uncomfortable for a short-arse to drive any distance, a car because it is comfortable for a short-arse to drive any distance and a Mirage because the short-arse has owned it for 26 years and will be the only thing she has spent money on for the sake of it in her whole life-time. I know people who live rural and own one vehicle and they make do very well. I also know a short-arse who went through a period of time when she couldn't afford to run said Mirage and she walked. It wasn't hard.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 5 months ago #404738 by Xartep

kindajojo;398251 wrote:
I know an employer who asked his employees would they work for the day for nothing ..............the ones that told him to F*&^ off didnt get a job , the ones that were prepared to work for the day for nothing were hired as they had the right attitude.

I took a young friend for a job interview the other day, 2nd interview, they had employed someone else who had lasted 4 days. They asked him to stay for the afternoon and work to see if he would like to work there (a 7 week 9-5pm contract) he said "are you going to pay me? needless to say he doesn't have the job.

I think what the employer requested is perfectly fine, I may have handled it differently if I was the employer, but the young persons attitude is a reflection on our current society.

I believe that our young people have an unrealistic sense of entitlement that colors their ability to work a full day or pull their weight in a work environment. And the only people we can blame is our selves because we are the ones who brought them up this way...

We as parents and aunties and extended families allowed them to sit on their cherubic little arses and watch endless TV and Playstation and didn't teach them the value of hard work around the home and didn't make them get a milk run or do sensible chores for pocket money, and payed for their every whim and desire without question.

Sure there are parts of our society that make a career of living off benefits and being baby factories to sustain that, but there are others who spend every waking minute whilst on the DPB trying to improve their lives and who find work as soon as they can. Unfortunately there aren't lots of jobs out there for hardworking mums who can only work 9-3 and need to take days off without notice because no one else is there to look after a sick child for them.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #404743 by max2

Xartep;400462 wrote: I

We as parents and aunties and extended families allowed them .........

.....Unfortunately there aren't lots of jobs out there for hardworking mums who can only work 9-3 and need to take days off without notice because no one else is there to look after a sick child for them.

but this is also where extended families and in laws and the like can step up and help it doesn't just have to come down to ''mum'' all the time, Mum's just have to let go once in a while and get over the ''former inlaw issues'' or whatever and let their kids be cared for by both sides of the kids family.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404757 by Xartep

swaggie;400468 wrote: but this is also where extended families and in laws and the like can step up and help it doesn't just have to come down to ''mum'' all the time, Mum's just have to let go once in a while and get over the ''former inlaw issues'' or whatever and let their kids be cared for by both sides of the kids family.

Yes but you are assuming that these people are actually available.

Many are in a situation were any living grandparents live in other towns or are still working. Siblings work in full time jobs and the other parent works full time or live in another town or country.

The extended family no longer exists in most modern arrangements. I had one grandmother tell me the recently that if her DD got a job she had better not expect her (grandma) to do after school care, or look after sick kids.:rolleyes: Most fathers don't believe that that level of care is in their realm of responsibility, because their jobs are "more important" :p , it really gets me going but I often hear dads calling solo care of their children "babysitting" what a load of BS that is "parenting" .

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #404785 by max2

Xartep;400483 wrote: Yes but you are assuming that these people are actually available.

Many are in a situation were any living grandparents live in other towns or are still working. Siblings work in full time jobs and the other parent works full time or live in another town or country.

The extended family no longer exists in most modern arrangements. I had one grandmother tell me the recently that if her DD got a job she had better not expect her (grandma) to do after school care, or look after sick kids.:rolleyes: Most fathers don't believe that that level of care is in their realm of responsibility, because their jobs are "more important" :p , it really gets me going but I often hear dads calling solo care of their children "babysitting" what a load of BS that is "parenting" .

Yep see the point but there are others around who are useful and can be co-opted into being ''family''. In our local village a well known and respected widower (former teacher) cares for 2 children before and after school, walks the family's dogs etc as Dad passed away a couple of years ago. Its a boon to all of them. :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #404790 by Cinsara

swaggie;400511 wrote: In our local village a well known and respected widower (former teacher) cares for 2 children before and after school, walks the family's dogs etc :)

How lovely :)

>

More
12 years 5 months ago #404849 by max2

Cinsara;400516 wrote: How lovely :)

he is a fantastic Guy C, was N's teacher years ago and so full of energy and inspiration! Do you know who I am talking about, being nearly local? :D he might have been in that play we went and saw.... (thinking thinking thinking). If not, then not far from behind the scenes...

Was a recipient of the franklin awards this week.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404862 by kai

Originally Posted by kai
Some of the facts do not ring true in that article, although she may not have been eligible for sickness benefit, she would have still been eligible for income support and they would also have been able to get housing benefit.

canajanz;397802 wrote: Not if you cant prove why you are not working

[:I]

In the UK income is not based on the ability to work, only on the income you are or are not bringing in. If it is less than that is deemed to be necessary, it gets topped up regardless of your reason not to be in employment.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds