UK couple driven to suicide by poverty and neglect

More
12 years 5 months ago #401859 by max2
I have something else on my mind.... take a drive up the S1 from Manukau to Auckland. See the new ''churches'' (of both the new sort and traditional religions) and their pretty people popping up in front of you on big shiny billboards inviting you to life changing meetings? Well how about auditing some of these organisations proclaiming to be spreading God's word and get them to spread their funding wider than their advertising & building budgets and guest speakers pockets.... [B)] [}:)]

jesus is reported to have spread his word standing on a rock wearing a frock, he didn't need a new huge building in manukau.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #401865 by Hawkspur
Hi swaggie,
Changing to a non-contentious topic?. grin
I agree. How many of these churches would still exist if only their charitable work was non-taxable?:rolleyes:

More
12 years 5 months ago #401909 by mikethebike
I think some of you miss the point which is that the current govt are bashing beneficiary's in order to distract from the fact that the country is in the mire due to poor management and in part by design because the basic idea that looking after the rich so that they employ more poor is basically flawed, if businesses are given tax breaks they simply make more profit because why would they need to employ more people if the demand for the products that they produce dosen't increase, so how can that possibly be the fault of benefit bludgers who make up some miniscule amount of the population in any event. Back in the uk they also decided that absent fathers should pay for their children and sure rightly so, except the department that they set up to collect the money spent some millions more than they ever actually collected and in many cases took the benefit from the absent fathers to give to the mothers on benefits therefore not actually saving anything at all, and the same applies to unemployment statistics by switching folk from sickness benefit to unemployment benefit does not save any money at all and only serves to cause distress to those vulnerable folk who we as a community have a responsibility to look after, after all it could just as easily be you!
I had a conversation with a local dairy worker earlier today and he works on a 3000 acre dairy farm where they milk 600 cows every day just two guys the farm is owned by ??? who knows big business yep they produce a lot of milk and im sure they also pay a lot of tax but because they can run this dairy farm with just two guys the local community benefits not one bit there are no families shopping in the local shop the bank the butchers and the post office all gone even the pub closed due to lack of support. half the village is unemployed with no prospect of change what so ever so they all get on their bikes and piss off to OZ or the big smoke and slowly the village dies. and the company that owns the farm reap ever bigger profits as they have the monopoly so the locals get to pay international prices for the mike that their local community can no longer afford, so much for progress eh! Whats the answer? well you sure got me wish i knew, again this all happened in the uk just the same, Im just amazed that we politically aware Kiwis are buying into this same old crap that has been around the block so many times I know who im not voting for next week just not sure the others are any better guess that makes me one of those undecided.

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
12 years 4 months ago #401915 by Mich
The current situation in NZ didn't happen overnight, and we tend to have very short memories when it comes to politics.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 4 months ago #401923 by Farmer53
if we want jobs we should be doing mineing, That would work.

More
12 years 4 months ago #401929 by max2

Hawkspur;397260 wrote: Hi swaggie,
Changing to a non-contentious topic?. grin
I agree. How many of these churches would still exist if only their charitable work was non-taxable?:rolleyes:

:D :D :D

I think there is a broader picture out there and many organisations are ''reaping it in'' who could be doing a whole lot more for communities with their $$ and in accordance with the principles they so quickly quote.

The way i see it, is we had the dot com boom when the Y2K bug was supposed to cripple us, now I see these ''churches'' springing up from the ground looking very flash and I reckon I know who is sitting on untapped wealth that benefits very few. Its easy for us to say the 'rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer'' but we have to stop picking at each other and look a little further or the current Govt (I am a swinging voter by the way) and see who really can afford to be doing more.....

the world economics are in crisis, this is bigger than just NZ or the election next week a vote or change in govt is not going to make things so rosy for us again. I was talking to some german tourists 2 weeks ago and its really bad over there, yet my understanding is Germany is the one bailing out others!

In the meanwhile, I fully support any Govt who aims to crack down on those abusing the system. We do have people in need and they need support and care, but we have to stop the system bleeding to start with....

More
12 years 4 months ago #401930 by max2
and i just want to say thankyou to Kate for not deleting this thread. :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #401931 by max2
getting back to the orginal posting for the moment, :D , did this couple live in a housing apartment or stand alone with garden? I am just wondering what the opportunity would have been to grow container gardening or even have access to an allotment as my Granddad used to?

More
12 years 4 months ago #401944 by Blueberry

mikethebike;397310 wrote: so how can that possibly be the fault of benefit bludgers who make up some miniscule amount of the population in any event.

There are currently 330,770 people on some benefit or other in New Zealand. Considering the current population of roughly 4.2 Mio, of which probably half are children, that leaves us with 2.1 Mio of 'Earning age".
Having 330,770 of those on a benefit means that for every 6 people employed and paying PAYE, a seventh person is drawing a benefit out of their PAYE.

one seventh is not "minuscule", in my book.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 4 months ago #401945 by reggit

Blueberry;397351 wrote: There are currently 330,770 people on some benefit or other in New Zealand...one seventh is not "minuscule", in my book.

Mike was talking about 'bludgers' - those rorting the system - whereas you are talking about all beneficiaries...:rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 4 months ago #401952 by kate

swaggie;397333 wrote: and i just want to say thankyou to Kate for not deleting this thread. :)

So far....[}:)][}:)]

As long as everyone plays nice and doesn't start tolling I'm fine with it.

Web Goddess

More
12 years 4 months ago #402040 by kindajojo
Actually Ronnie animals dont have the same problem as humans because many produce way more offspring than they need and accept that most of the young will die painfull deaths. The old, weak and diabled will suffer until eaten by a passing predator.
I humans adopted the same philosophy we would not have the problem with the agring population.
I think this was where the thread started.

The things that separate us from animals is our compassion for the rest of our species..............however as stated there are always those that take advantage of that compassion.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402163 by bsadler
i was recently back in nz and watched a "campbell live" clip on tv3 about a woman in south auckland and her six children living in "poverty". i assume this clip was meant to generate sympathy for her condition and disgust with the government.

as far as i could tell the eldest child was around 10 y.o. (yes, that's one about every 18 months), she had a state house, was on all available benefits and didn't look like she was intelligent enough to walk and chew gum.

needless to say the childrens' father(s) was(were) not in evidence,

far from engendering a sympathetic reaction my only thought was: why is this my problem?

More
12 years 4 months ago #402175 by mikethebike
well bsadler this is our problem because child poverty here in NZ is an international disgrace, sure many parents are in part if not entirely to blame but none the less how can we blame the children and or continue to ignore the rising occurance of family violence, did you know that NZ has the second or maybe 3rd highest rate of youth suicide in the world and that more young men die from suicide than are killed on our roads, And maybe the clip you saw was an attempt to sensationalise that persons predicament but anyway you look at it we do have a moral responsibility to look after the vulnerable in our communities and those children are exactly that!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402183 by bsadler
given that intelligence is 90% inherited "these children" will in all likelihood be as successful in life as their parents are and their existence simply ensures we are to be parasitised for and by another generation.

the loss of young men is regrettable - i was once one myself - but i have always assumed such loss was why nature provides 51 boy babies for every 49 girl babies

we are told that family violence occurs across all social strata and to try and link it to child "poverty" is fatuous nonsense.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds