Locavores - how are you getting on?

More
14 years 5 months ago #2948 by hilldweller
Just wondering who's doing this and how you're finding it....

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #79240 by betenoir
Interesting so far...refused to buy some veggies in local countdown because they couldn't tell me where they came from..did the same in woollies with some steak that had no label...ended up at the local butcher who could confirm the hereford steak was local and harvested some slightly underripe maize to go with it...blooming delicious..better than sweetcorn.
No idea if the bar of chocolate fror the weekend was locally produced (probably not..but some things like coffee and chocolate dont count[:I]).
Next week I'l be able to guarantee that all the lamb we eat was produced within 100m of home:)
Its interesting just browsing through labels to find out how little information thefre is...how elusive some of it is (eg manufactured in NZ...but where do the ingredients come from), and how little the people selling it know about their products.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

• maggies mum
14 years 5 months ago #79246 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Locavores - how are you getting on?
Not too bad, although I do need to go shopping. Some things I don't see how I can really avoid buying, things like coffee & tea.

As far as I am able I go locally produced first, then if not then NZ produced.

I'm going to have a whole heap of apples & plums soon so I'll need to get on with some freezing and jam making etc. I was given a load of peaches and I still have to do something with all those peppers! I found a rd pepper relish so I might give that a go.

More
14 years 5 months ago #79300 by beedee
I went to buy peanut butter but couldnt find any that came only from either the USA or australia.. I thought there was a safe brand????
otherwise, rice crackers only come from china.. and any veges come from my garden with the eggs, milk.... and I presume tomoana dog tux come from NZ, still ( thats the pig food):D :p

• maggies mum
14 years 5 months ago #79301 by maggies mum
And some days ya just wanna get your shopping and go!!! ;)

More
14 years 5 months ago #79610 by kate
If anyone within 100kms of here wants some locally grown bay leaves then let me know. I have a bay shrub that is getting out of hand and is due for a prune. I could feed it to the goats of course...:D:D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #79613 by kate
...and if you want any cali thistles you can come and pick your own [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #79615 by reggit
I've got lots of rosemary that needs pruning too - makes great lamb kebab sticks for the BBQ! :p

Fruit and veges not really a problem with the Farmers Market and local greengrocers.

Dairy products are NZ made at least, though can't find local ones.

Meat = homekill so that is very close to home :p

Still working on other bits and bobs.

Beedee, I am sitting here eating peanut butter on toast - and the peanut butter is Eta brand, packed for Heinz Watties and apparently a product of China!!!! [:0]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 5 months ago #79671 by Gracelands
Tigger, if you see Green Valley milk in your local supermarkets, it is produced and bottled in the Mangatawhiri Valley (About 50 kms from Hamilton) I know they sell to a lot of dairies, etc, so look there. When my sister get back from her holidays I can ask her if they have any Hamilton customers, if you like. They also do an organic version, and are hoping to have a cheese factory soon.

Sanitarium are currently advertising on TV a new (old) Australian-produced peanut butter that has no sugar or salt added. I've seen it in the Papakura New World.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
14 years 5 months ago #79697 by reggit
Thanks Gracelands, the one we are getting at the moment is Dairy Fresh which is produced at Greenlane, Auckland and retails at our local greengrocer for $5 for two 2L bottles of light blue - which is great as hubby and I go through at least one 2L bottle of milk a day [:0]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 4 months ago #81924 by Kiwismum
I have a question about this.

If we got our pigs and some of our chickens off Inger(who is I believe) more than 50km from here, but we have raised them since then, do they then qualify or do we have to source closer to home for them to work.

We have close to us a store that tries to source locally where possible, but things like coffee(which I just can't live without) will never fall into this plan.

I try to keep not only local but also seasonal in our eating. After all that was why we moved here - to produce our own food. Even our milk is local at the moment, as we are getting fresh goat milk from just down the road.:)

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
14 years 4 months ago #81931 by reggit
We were working on a 100km spread from home, so can't see how the 50km wouldn't qualify [:I]

As far as coffee goes we have compromised and now buy Fair Trade - the Fair Trade brand in the supermarkets is Strawberry Fair, it is about the same price as the other brands, but the supermarkets tend to put it on the top or bottom shelves in the coffee section so you have to have a look for it :(.

More
14 years 4 months ago #81932 by sod
Real pain is label that has made from local and imported products. Tells you not a thing

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• maggies mum
14 years 4 months ago #81962 by maggies mum
I was thinking the same when trying to buy margarine.

It's not as easy as you think it is!

More
14 years 4 months ago #82041 by reggit
Now I can see why so many producers are opposed to labelling at country of origin...I am shocked by how much stuff I thought was NZ grown/made is actually not, it's just that I've always associated the brand with NZ! [:0]

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds