Can you help Egypt's tourist horses?

More
12 years 3 months ago #400846 by GloPony
Yes, my mistake. I meant WWI. My great uncle was there & used to tell me stories of the cavalry & their horses when I was little.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #401102 by SarahM
We were in Egypt for two weeks in 2007. Like Wiredkiwi of the horses/mules/donkeys I saw, 20% were in very good nick, 60% were athletic bordering on skinny, and 20% were to my uneducated eye a too skinny/broken down/injured but still working.

I tried to make a donation to a horse rehab/education centre when I was in Aswan, but the centre had shifted.

I was quite shocked at what I saw in Egypt with regard to treatment of horses in particular. (Two examples of horses being hit by their handlers :( ). Equally there were some very good examples of locals taking a pride in the care of their horse who is part of their living.

I think one of the main things is for tourists to CHECK the horses they are hiring for a carriage ride. Many people were just jumping into a carriage without a thought to actually LOOK at the horse. In one instance I saw a horse working on an obviously swollen and injured leg. Made me mad as hell when I saw the horse limping with the tourists in the back. [}:)]

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
12 years 3 months ago #401155 by kaybe
It would be great if someone on here could organise a horse trek to raise money for the Kiwi team, the kind they have to raise money for schools. I would have no idea how to organise one, but I'd borrow a horse and take an allergy pill if there was one on....

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds