At last the crazy give way laws in this country are changing!

More
10 years 7 months ago #406958 by kaybe

WillEyre;402866 wrote: I am surprised that you say you've never met a person who understands the present rule.
I, for my part have hardly ever spoken to anyone who doesn't.

When I said 'come across anyone', I actually was referring to the 'many drivers, strangers to me' as you say. I don't usually canvass friends or strangers on their thoughts on road rules, lest they mistake me for an anorak :D . But I make an exception here for roundabouts [;)]

When I first took my test here I tried to follow the new (to me) rule, but so often I found that the other driver didn't appear to know the same rule, that I rarely bother any more. But like I say, most of my local T-intersections are marked, so there's no thinking required!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #406959 by kaybe

Shropshire Blue;402867 wrote: I've lost count of the number of times I've been waiting at a roundabout when vehicles in the land closest to the middle ( two lane roundabouts) have been indicating to turn right but have in fact gone straight on :(

I must admit, I was also taught to indicate right on entering a roundabout when going straight ahead or turning right, and indicate left when exiting, but I agree it makes more sense not to indicate at all when going straight ahead.

More
10 years 7 months ago #406963 by WillEyre

kaybe;402871 wrote: When I said 'come across anyone', I actually was referring to the 'many drivers, strangers to me' as you say. I don't usually canvass friends or strangers on their thoughts on road rules, lest they mistake me for an anorak :D . But I make an exception here for roundabouts [;)]

When I first took my test here I tried to follow the new (to me) rule, but so often I found that the other driver didn't appear to know the same rule, that I rarely bother any more. But like I say, most of my local T-intersections are marked, so there's no thinking required!

Maybe you don't discuss road rules with your friends in the Waikato, but here in the hinterland we don't have much else to talk about.
Seriously, there are thousands of unmarked 'T' intersections. Every time you pull in or out of a (such as) supermarket carpark,to or from the road, that is a 'T' intersection situation. In my experience these are rarely 'marked'.
(If you don't think that these are technically intersections, click on my link to NZTA diagrams above).
And even where there are markings, those markings do not necessarily over-ride the need to know the giveway rules.
For example, imagine an ordinary crossroads ('+') with compulsory stop (or giveway) markings on each corner.
Now, put cars on three different corners, all turning right. Do the markings alone deal with that situation?
I could've made it really hard and placed a car (four of them in total) at each different corner, and each turning right. But gridlock in NZ is a rare can of worms that I won't at this time prise open.
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 7 months ago #406976 by kaybe

WillEyre;402876 wrote: Seriously, there are thousands of unmarked 'T' intersections. Every time you pull in or out of a (such as) supermarket carpark,to or from the road, that is a 'T' intersection situation. In my experience these are rarely 'marked'.
(If you don't think that these are technically intersections, click on my link to NZTA diagrams above).
And even where there are markings, those markings do not necessarily over-ride the need to know the giveway rules.
For example, imagine an ordinary crossroads ('+')

Hmm, clearly there was something about my post which leads you to believe that I'm a complete moron who doesn't know what constitutes a T-intersection, and requires a diagram ('+') to clarify what a crossroads is. "My local T-intersections" was referring to the 4 road intersections that I most commonly traverse when driving between home and Hamilton or Cambridge. As I have already stated, I know what the give way rules are at marked and unmarked intersections, but I'm sure your comments are simply intended to be helpful.

More
10 years 7 months ago #406990 by WillEyre
'... but I'm sure your comments are simply intended to be helpful.'[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm pleased you got that bit right.

This is a public Forum. I wasn't solely talking to you.

I was attempting clarity for the purpose of illustration, not patronage.

Because this might be read by a few others, apart from you and me, the comment was made in the cause of general interest, with no intended inference that anyone was a moron.(Although I suspect that there's a goodly number out there driving, as we speak.)

(A 'crossroads' is any intersection of two or more roads. It's often more than a simple '+'. In my example I wanted it understood that it was a simple '+' that I was talking about.

The comment about there being a 'T' intersection at every carpark entrance is an aspect that I think is significant and certainly not appreciated by everybody with a Driver's Licence.)

Happy motoring!

Ed

More
10 years 7 months ago #407014 by kaybe

WillEyre;402907 wrote: This is a public Forum. I wasn't solely talking to you.

Pardon my misunderstanding. Your quotation of my remarks and the use of the pronoun 'you' gave the erroneous impression that you were talking to me personally. I'll just nip out and take my paranoia medicine with my grain of salt, then. [;)]

More
10 years 7 months ago #407079 by DiDi
All you are doing is scaring the beyesus out of me guys! I have told my 95 year old mother that as of the new changes, she is not driving again (and yes she still has her licence at 95) so now - can someone post a link to the new driving rules in their entirety please as every time I read your threads I am attempting to relate them to my town with no traffic lights, heaps of roundabouts etc but I do drive out of here so need to get my head around what on earth you are talking about. I want the rules to stay as they are! Logical and work brilliantly where I drive 80% of the time!

More
10 years 7 months ago #407081 by WillEyre

DiDi;403003 wrote: All you are doing is scaring the beyesus out of me guys! I have told my 95 year old mother that as of the new changes, she is not driving again (and yes she still has her licence at 95) so now - can someone post a link to the new driving rules in their entirety please as every time I read your threads I am attempting to relate them to my town with no traffic lights, heaps of roundabouts etc but I do drive out of here so need to get my head around what on earth you are talking about. I want the rules to stay as they are! Logical and work brilliantly where I drive 80% of the time!

Didi -
The New Give Way Rules are outlined, in their entirety, if you follow this link (that has already been posted, above) to the NZTA website.
www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/around-nz/road-...rera0CFYqCpAodF2o6nQ
Best of luck in educating Mother. (As a matter of interest, does your mother have any difficulty with the present 'giveway' rules?)
Ed

More
10 years 7 months ago #407087 by sky
Bring on the change back of the rule, it made absolutely no sense to me and went against the grain to follow it.

Canterbury

More
10 years 7 months ago #407093 by WillEyre

sky;403012 wrote: Bring on the change back of the rule, it made absolutely no sense to me and went against the grain to follow it.

The new rules aren't changing back to anything we've ever had before.
Prior to 1977 there were no rules governing two( or more) cars both turning at intersections.
Prior to 1977 a convention called 'road courtesy' was used. This usually meant that the driver who was the politest, or most timid, went last.
When the present rules were introduced most drivers, I believe, saw them as a great improvement - now they had clear, simple rules to follow where previously there were none.

More
10 years 7 months ago #407095 by DiDi
No Will she has been fine driving in a limited area that she is familiar with but again, being restricted to certain hours ( I think 9am to 4pm) which she totally ignores when she wants to do what she wants to do, I am totally peed off that the only person who can take her licence off her is her doctor.

This was bought in by Labor and is an absolute nonsense. Why the hell would her doctor who is caring for her health be the one to be the "bas#ard" that pulls her Licence. There is history of the elderly walking out the door and not wanting to deal with that doctor again. How stupid is this Law? Do you know, they do not sit a practical test either after I think 85? The doctor does a mini mental test and if they pass that - they can drive. I am aware of people in my mother's retirement village being passed by their expensive "eye doctors" to drive when they are as blind as a bat. It is outrageous!

Privacy Act means that her doctor can refuse to discuss anything with me. There is no way in hell my mother should still be driving at 95 and there is nothing I can do about it? I even rang the Police and asked how I could get my mother's Licence revoked and no - not unless they caught her doing something wrong. Dear God!

More
10 years 7 months ago #407098 by WillEyre
I am familiar with that situation, exactly.
One elderly acquaintance (with Alzheimer's Disease) had a car that battered it looked like he'd been in a succession of Demolition Derbies. Same scenario as the one you relate - he just kept driving.
Even if an elderly person has their licence withdrawn, it doesn't actually stop them.
What's the penalty if they're caught? Just a few dollars. And they know they're not going to jail - or even going to get their name in the paper.
The only way for them to be stopped, it seems, is for the family to 'steal' the car (with the compliance, or not, of the Police).
The Police themselves appear reluctant (or unable) to remove either the licence or the car.
Ed

More
10 years 7 months ago #407117 by DiDi
Historically Will we could remove the Distributor Cap or disconnect the battery and chances were that they would not click to what was done.

There is no way that when talking about my Mum that I am putting down a hugely successful business woman, a fiercely independent woman who has never asked for help in her life. However, recently, the car ran out of Windscreen washer water and she figured that there was no water left in the car i.e radiator to you and me. Just blows my socks off as even two years ago, she would have known better.

Anyway, I have made the call and will ensure that come the new rules, she will not be driving again. I have told her in the context that it will be too hard for her to understand and in some ways, she has been compliant with that thought. To be honest, I think she has lost her confidence and recently I convinced her (given there was no water in her car!) that with half priced taxi fares, she should use a taxi. She did - it worked perfectly - phew - and that is where I want the future to be for her.

The businesswoman of old would have understood that running a car (squirty little Daihatsu Mira) with Rego, Insurance (imagine what it is for a 95 year old!) maintenance, WOF etc made not sense when doing around 2000km per year. Crazy.

I think I still smoke like a train as I have no intention of being around in my 90's - unfortunately a female trait for generations in my family. NO way!

More
10 years 7 months ago #407118 by sky

WillEyre;403018 wrote: The new rules aren't changing back to anything we've ever had before.
Prior to 1977 there were no rules governing two( or more) cars both turning at intersections.
Prior to 1977 a convention called 'road courtesy' was used. This usually meant that the driver who was the politest, or most timid, went last.
When the present rules were introduced most drivers, I believe, saw them as a great improvement - now they had clear, simple rules to follow where previously there were none.

Oh well whatever, as long as they change to what the rest of the world does and what I was taught, all is good with me :)

Canterbury

More
10 years 7 months ago #407121 by canajanz

WillEyre;402863 wrote: (If you've driven a lefthand drive car in NZ, you'd also know how difficult and dangerous it is sighting traffic across the passenger's seat.)

And the glaring mistake we make (in being warm and fuzzy,egalitarian and dumbed-down) , is that drivers can gain a full licence whilst not understanding the cardinal rules.
Ed

I have not had the dubious pleasure of driving a wrong sided car here in NZ
I have however driven a UK car in Europe and a German car in the UK.
I dont recal corners /turning being an issue but overtaking certainly was!

I suppose people get a licence without understanding by buying the learning kits and just memorizing all teh answers :confused:
I dont know if it still applies but at one point if you came from acountry that drove on teh left you did not have to take a practical !! Madness!
Even in our tiny town with no red lights and only about 6 stops signs those people cause havoc.

canajanz

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds