At last the crazy give way laws in this country are changing!

More
10 years 9 months ago #400231 by WillEyre

igor;395409 wrote: The roundabout rule is not changing. As now give way to traffic that is already on the roundabout. Where is the difficulty?

There is no difficulty on a roundabout. It's on the 'ordinary' intersections that I think will be the problem - just as it is now!

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #400232 by Huggiechook

WillEyre;395412 wrote: There is no difficulty on a roundabout. It's on the 'ordinary' intersections that I think will be the problem - just as it is now!

Personally i think that compulsory driving lessons with prescribed minimum practice hours before you can get your license would do wonders for NZs driving standards [^]

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
10 years 9 months ago #400236 by WillEyre

Huggiechook;395413 wrote: Personally i think that compulsory driving lessons with prescribed minimum practice hours before you can get your license would do wonders for NZs driving standards [^]

Or maybe just a thorough oral 'test' of the basic Rules with a 'fail' (and come back again and re-sit, when you've learned) for any wrong answer. That might be good start. (As well as being able to steer and stop).
But, of course, we would never get away with anything as 'strict' as this - just in case, dare I say it, someone actually FAILED now and then.
But we all know that nobody, but nobody ever fails in Godzone any more - do they?
Some only pass with an 'E', sure - but because they printed their name 'almost correct', at the top of the multi-choice answer sheet (which we gave them all the answers for, anyway) we've got to let them drive just like everybody else, don't we?
Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #400237 by Cinsara

Huggiechook;395413 wrote: Personally i think that compulsory driving lessons with prescribed minimum practice hours before you can get your license would do wonders for NZs driving standards [^]

And refresher training every 10 years when you renew your licence. Just because you knew all the theory when you sat the test doesn't mean you'll retain it for your entire driving life.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 9 months ago #400264 by Organix

clarry;395396 wrote: What are you riding Organix?

Got a real tidy 1979 Triumph Bonneville 750 I ride, I might be invisible but they'll always hear me coming :D

Loud bikes save Lives

Another Triumph rider. '01 955 Sprint RS in my case :D

Hawkspur;395403 wrote: except for those plugged into their ipods...[;)]

That just ensures natural selection isn't disrupted :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 9 months ago #400286 by LongRidge
When I sat my licence the first time I got 24/25 for the written, but failed on the 3rd oral (the first wrong). Back in 1971, in a small town, the cop knew us better than we knew ourselves :-)
I too am a strong believer in refresher courses, having done 2 defensive driver courses.
Having driven overseas (in UK), it would be far more clever of us to have laws similar to the rest of the world. It's nearly time we change to left hand drive .....

More
10 years 9 months ago #400289 by wyseyes
We are not in the rest of the world. We are here.

If you go out to the rest of the world, you must drive by the local rules, and you are expected to know them before you drive.If you come here from the rest of the world, you still must drive by the local rules, and you are expected to know them before you drive.
Just because 'the rest of the world' drives one way, that doesn't mean that the same 'one way' is suitable for the NZ conditions, traffic flow, road width, markings etc.
It could be argued that 50% of the world drive on the right hand side of the road, but that's no reason to change how we do it.

The current rule for who goes first when both turning was designed due to the narrow 2-way streets, and cars waiting on the other side of the road would hold up too much traffic. When they change this rule next year, there will be mayhem unless they get out there and widen roads, repaint intersections, and then educate drivers.
It is a lot easier for left turning traffic to pull to the verge and wait, than for middle line traffic to wait. Waiting middle line traffic holds up a large line, causing impatience and arrogance, and lead-foot syndrome.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
10 years 9 months ago #400290 by sod
I agree with how it is now"If you think you will get other car in your door give way" I alway thought the fear of death would make people learn BUT NO!!!!!!!!!! so why will they learn without that fear, I have found this one works ok. Next everyone speeds so up the speed limit????????

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 9 months ago #400294 by Stikkibeek
With the current law of giving way if you are turning left, it is staggering how many people, do not realise that if there is someone behind them going straight ahead, they should not stop for the opposing car turning right.
It requires they should check the rear vision mirror and proceed in what's dubbed "turning in the other car's shadow"

I get this all the time on a T intersection I use.

The round-a-bout rule of using the indicator to exit a RAB, I do not like. At least not on small crossed intersections where a small round-a-bout has been put to help traffic flow on dangerous intersections. Some of those RABs are so small they are really just traffic Islands, and the time factor for putting on a left indicator is so small, that it's almost impossible to do it. You can't put it on too soon, or cars stopped for you may think you are exiting on the same road they are, and if you leave it til you are almost past them, then you're off the intersection anyway. It works on very big intersections, but not cross roads. They should go back to the right hand rule on them.

With a front wheel drive like I have, you also have the pull on a corner of the car trying to go straight, so it's not a good time to be taking a hand out of direct hold on the steering wheel.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 9 months ago #400299 by DiDi
In Pukekohe - there are no traffic lights. Just intersections and more and more roundabouts going in and they are brilliant- well apart from the darn foliage they insist on planting and signs that are right where the other drivers' indicator lights are!

I have wondered if it is a deliberate ploy. Trouble is that it stops the roundabouts from flowing as many people will stop regardless. Maybe that is a good idea?

I wonder too if traffic lights are making people lazy thinkers when it comes to turning as well. Just a thought.

More
10 years 9 months ago #400303 by Stikkibeek

DiDi;395483 wrote: In Pukekohe - there are no traffic lights. Just intersections and more and more roundabouts going in and they are brilliant- well apart from the darn foliage they insist on planting and signs that are right where the other drivers' indicator lights are!

Didi Most of your roundabouts are reasonably big and therefore easier for the exit rule to apply. Doesn't work on our vintage car though! It doesn't have indicators!:rolleyes:

The small ones are a problem. Used to have a good round-a-bout on the end of Railway west and Broadway in Papakura. I think the council from a few years ago, must have gathered too much money from impoverished rate payers, cause they ripped that O out and put lights in its place. Now instead of the traffic flowing quite well, it backs up down two of the busy roads, especially when schools are out for the day.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 9 months ago #400306 by WillEyre
As I said above, I may have the 'new' give-way rule misunderstood, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

The way I understand it is that the only change (to the present give-way rules) will be as to who gives way when both cars are turning.
At the moment, if the turning car is on your right, you give way. (Just like we do with both cars going straight ahead). Some people learnt it by saying 'Left (turning) goes last'.
Importantly also, this means you can see the car you have to give-way to out your driver's window.
With the new rule, with both cars turning, you give way only if that other car is on your left. This means that the car you've got to see and give way to is actually somewhere on the left of your windscreen or across the car and through your passenger's window.
I've heard people say the change makes it safer somehow because instead of having to stop, the left-turning car gets out of the way and around the corner.
Of course, but somebody has to stop!
And soon that's going to be the right turning car - the one in the middle of the road!
Does anyone authoritatively know how this rule operates in America?
If they have to give-way (yield) to the left I can completely understand that, because they're driving on the right side of the road and looking at the car they have to yield to out their driver's window.

I fully appreciate that complaining about this at this time won't help one little bit, but I still simply can't see the logic in changing what we have. And those twerps who frustrate and terrify us now, by being completely ignorant of what the present rule is, certainly won't become suddenly enlightened and less dangerous when it's changed to the opposite.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #400307 by Anne
I like the current rule for turning - its sensible and logical - its just that the rest of the world hasn't caught up. When I drove in the US, I told my hosts about our rules for turning left and giving way. Once we had translated it into turning right gives way, they thought it was really sensible - especially for narrow roads.

I can see so many more rear end accidents happening. And long queues of cars sitting in the middle of the road. Seems crazy if you ask me.

More
10 years 9 months ago #400308 by shad297
Well I for one am glad the rule is changing, it is ridiculous and dangerous. I was too frightened to drive for the first two years living in NZ, I thought they were aggressive and didn't know how to use indicators and were impatient. Now I've lived here for 24 years it's easier. Most of my kiwi friends didn't have professional driving lessons but just had their parents teach them. It is not enough in my opinion. My son will be having professional lessons when the time comes although I think 16 is too young. Obviously we will take him out (if I'm brave enough) so he can have some practice but we really learn to drive once we have passed our test and experience what it is like to be behind the wheel on a regular basis. I do like the fact that beginners are on a restricted licence and can't take passengers without driving licence etc.
Also (yes I know I am whingeing here) I wish NZ had compulsory insurance for drivers at least third party, that one is so backward.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 9 months ago #400312 by Organix

WillEyre;395490 wrote: .....
Does anyone authoritatively know how this rule operates in America?
If they have to give-way (yield) to the left I can completely understand that, because they're driving on the right side of the road and looking at the car they have to yield to out their driver's window.

In the US (and Canada) drivers are disciplined and credited for having some common sense, both of which many NZ drivers lack. In those countries a rule exists where a vehicle can make a right hand turn (equivalent to our left hand turn) at a red traffic light if it is safe to do so.

NZ drivers are treated as complete Noddies in regard to many of our traffic laws, often with sound reason :rolleyes: Even Australian drivers beat us hands down in terms of self discipline and general safe driving habits.

My point being, don't compare what happens here to equivalent situations overseas as the overriding factor is the skills of the person behind the wheel. Also by changing the left hand rule to international standards we make it safer for visiting drivers to survive on our roads.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds