Anyone notice a lack of snails?

More
10 years 9 months ago #399034 by stephclark
aahhh cinsasra ..it is truely a horrid thing to think on.. but it is predation and no different than a mother gazelle/zebra/wilderbeast watching helplessly as a pack on lions takes their calf...
nature is cruel.. we do want we can to protect 'our' animals from preditors and i wouldnt 'encourage' a preditor into a situation where there is easy pickings..buuttt thats life isnt it..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #399050 by Minky2
Sorry how does the beer thing work? Are they attracted to it? Do they get drunk and drown?! Can't use the 'natural' hedgehog remedy, they can't get in under our super secure fences which is just as well as the dogs would have hysterics, followed by pin cushion noses.

More
10 years 9 months ago #399078 by Stikkibeek
Damn! I've been busted. Have been dropping them off along the main highway for months now! :p I thought I was finally making a dent in the population! Hope they don't have homing pigeon instincts! :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 9 months ago #399112 by The Kats Place
that cause the bloody things are all at my place!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 9 months ago #399168 by stephclark

Minky2;394128 wrote: Sorry how does the beer thing work? Are they attracted to it? Do they get drunk and drown?! Can't use the 'natural' hedgehog remedy, they can't get in under our super secure fences which is just as well as the dogs would have hysterics, followed by pin cushion noses.

pretty much .. i think its the smell that attracts them.. also the bottle is too smooth for them to slither out of again, so the drown..
and what is it with dogs and hedgehogs?.. mine go berserk, and the little hedgehogs move sooooo slowly.. the dog goes on and on and on

More
10 years 9 months ago #399217 by Cinsara

stephclark;394112 wrote: .buuttt thats life isnt it..

Indeed it is but hogs have a following of fans who think they are delightful creatures that do nothing but good i.e. slug and snail control.

stephclark;394253 wrote: and what is it with dogs and hedgehogs?.. mine go berserk.

Mine do too for which I am grateful. My chicks are secure in their nursery runs but my nesting boxes aren't and the HH pinch the eggs. [:(!]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 9 months ago #399227 by stephclark
ahh got ya cinsara...
i am under no illusions about them.. i think they are groovy kinda animals.. but i have seen their teeth!.they are capable of crunching thru more than a snail thats for sure...

More
10 years 9 months ago #399345 by DiDi
Yakut - just collect them and bring them over to my urban property. I cannot believe the number of birds that are pulling worms out of the grass! However, I have a resident population of Thrush as well so they will love them. :D

More
10 years 9 months ago #399476 by Ghilly
Hells Bells DiDi, do you REALLY want a bucket full of snails? Lol

Well, the total to date are now all deceased.... no doubt there will be more, there are always more.... they keep crawling out from everywhere, especially at night after it's rained. Blardy things!

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds