iMac help please

More
10 years 8 months ago #29202 by shad297
iMac help please was created by shad297
Does anyone here know anything about Apple Mac's? well we have this new 'flash' iMac and it didn't come with any wordprocessing, which is a shame after spending $2,000 as kids would like to use. Hubby has said he will be purchasing suitable package through work at reduced cost, but that was ages ago and you know how men hate to be nagged. Just wondered whether anyone knows of anything I can download free? kids want to do artworky type stuff and homework so wordprocessing package would do that I guess. Our last computer (eMac) that we had for 7 years was really good for that and the kids could even have their own email addresses as well which is not possible on this computer even though I rang their helpline, unfortunately they weren't able to advise, but that's another problem I shan't worry about now, maybe they will just have to get gmail accounts of something.
Thanks

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397356 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic iMac help please
I have a Mac & I bought the I Work package & find it good.
A bit different to the windows word one.
I also bought the book "the missing manual" & find it essential

Sorry dont know of any free ones, remember you get what you pay for...

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
10 years 8 months ago #397358 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic iMac help please
shad, there is a package called Open Office which is available for the Mac, it was made and distributed for free by people who hate Microsoft's monopoly. It has word processing, drawing, accounting, and presentation options just the way MS Office does, although I must admit I don't find it very intuitive but my engineer hubby thinks it's great (which I guess is what happens when you get software written by engineers!). Anyway I'm sure the kids could figure everything out!

Your Mac should come with a free piece of software called TextEdit which can be used for very basic word processing. It may also have AppleWorks. Look in the Applications folder.

Do you still have your old Mac? Some of the software should still work on the new model if you can copy the applications across.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397390 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic iMac help please
I use LibreOffice, didn't like Open Office at all (I have an iMac as well). LibreOffice reminds me of the nice and simple Appleworks that used to come bundled with Macs. LibreOffice is another free downloadable application.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds