getting a home built

More
10 years 8 months ago #29189 by rob
getting a home built was created by rob
has anyone had a home built on a block of land, we looked at the showroom golden home in Dury in it looked really good.

any info would be good thanks

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397231 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic getting a home built
If you like the design/build new house package idea - you could make general enquiries with the various "package" companies for an ex-showhome sale - and have it moved to the site.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397328 by sky
Replied by sky on topic getting a home built
Yes we had our own home built on our land by Golden Homes as did some of our friends.

Canterbury

More
10 years 8 months ago #397350 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic getting a home built
we used golden homes to build our place on our block.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #397355 by rob
Replied by rob on topic getting a home built
what were your extra costs involved, water, power, sceptic tank?, council fees.
did golden homes do this for you or did you contract out

Rob

More
10 years 8 months ago #397375 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic getting a home built
Rob I cannot answer your questions re G*lden Homes (there is a building forum in NZ if you are interested) however this is a very popular way of building in Australia.

having been part of a company that subcontracted to several project home builders in NSW, these are my observations:

check if and what additional costs are involved should you wish to pick different colour PC ware. Check sq metre costs on everything in particular bathroom tiling (if applicable, remember my experiences are aussie based where bathrooms are generally tiled). check allowances for basic site connections to plumbing etc, for example a particular pool company that I know advertises a flat rate, but when you read the fine print the plumbing allowance is only for a few metres that even under normal circumstances is less than standard, that is how they make their money).

check site costs, we looked at getting one build on some land we had back in NSW and that particular well known aussie builder wanted to bring in 600 tonne of dirt as ''fill'' because they wanted to construct a slab house, whereas we wanted bearers and joists. (piers here).
Cheaper to build bearers and joists construction and you can get under it to check for nasties later (white ant in particular in NSW). However because it was ''outside'' the norm. for that builder, they wanted to add an additional cost.

That is some of my experiences, however I cannot stress too strongly that even employing a small ''one man band'' here in NZ isn't going to have problems. Having built here some of the things we have come across are:

Various advertised bods say they can do ''new homes'' (generally they all say they are builders) when in fact their work speciality is just framing carpentry or even good home handyman skills. We just saved a ''builder'' from a roofing job he was working on and had got confused because he didn't know what he was doing.

If you come across the P*kekohe moron we ended up with on our insurance re-build, he bangs on he can build a new home (still has it on his card) and is christian but left off so many basic (ie the complete electrical quote) allowances in his tender to the insurance company and his workmanship so poor the insurance company and ourselves were able to terminate his services prior to lockup and the insurance company had to pay for most of the structure to be rebuilt again... his only saving grace as to why he is still trading today is he is has no assets the insurance investigators could grab to pull back some of their funds.. :rolleyes: (another story partially detailed on this forum over the last 5 years). Last I heard from him was to ''pray for our forgiveness''. Creep!

My suggestion is to go with referrals, but make sure the people who give them know what they are taking about. There is crap workmanship about regardless of whether you go with a building company or a one man band, but people do talk, just get to the long term ones who know everyone since BC. cheers.

Oh, and please do check out that forum, its pretty good and you can ask some tough questions.. Its called build.....? and is in blue.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397400 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic getting a home built
Hi Rob

We're currently building in Bombay - so not far from Drury

We went with an outfit out of Tauranga as we couldn't find a company in Auckland who were willing to give us what we wanted for the budget we had...

Our home is almost built now, and we are looking forward to moving in before Christmas.

Yes, you do have to check references, and check and check and check - half of your job as the owner will be to research who you have potentially working on your build. The other big job will be to know - and I mean really KNOW what you want - and stick to it - a lot of money is wasted on making 'changes' to your plan, even if it is to give you what you wanted in the first place...

Other than that, a good lawyer is worth their weight in gold... it may cost a couple thousand, but it could potentially save you hundreds of thousands in the long run - money really well spent!

More
10 years 8 months ago #397484 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic getting a home built
We built our home almost two years ago - we bought a property with an older prefab house, built our new one behind the existing one, and then moved the old house away.

We looked through many plans from different companies, and eventually chose one and altered it. We adjusted the bedroom sizes, bigger bathroom, bigger garage, different living room dimensions, and allowed for a wetback fire. The original plan was the right layout, it just wasn't in the right proportions to suit our needs.

Dad built our house for us, so we were lucky to have someone we knew to do the job for us. We were also lucky that we had all the lifestyle block amenities (sewerage/water/fencing etc) already installed from the first house, and it was as simple as hooking everything up to the new house.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397710 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic getting a home built
Rob get hold of g/homes and ask them what they pay for. xtra was water ,power,e/works
septic, g/homes paid the council fees xtra power outlets and ph jacks. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #397723 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic getting a home built
I was going to go with Golden Homes when I built my house but they couldn't adapt the plan I wanted, it appeared that if it wasn't one of their standard houses, the draughtsmen were a little lost. So I got my neighbour and his wife in, she has amazing design abilities and tweaked the plan I had chosen, and he built it with quality and care. It wasn't that much more but I was able to get what I wanted.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
10 years 8 months ago #397805 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic getting a home built
Our home is a A1 home and our builder said he had never built a easier and better home :) We are well chuffed with it :) We did all our power/water etc but only to save money, they do a build to complete finish, we found them middle of the road with regards to cost but were fab to deal with, not a hitch the whole way :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
10 years 8 months ago #398469 by cj4a
Replied by cj4a on topic getting a home built
down in shakyvill we are waiting for our consent to come back from council
As said before check,check and check again my piece of paradise has had lots of hooks in it for me but have got almost everything on track (touch wood) have done a little forward planning,water and phone to house site but contiune to the shed we use as a lounge and power already on site which is going to save me money building the house ,but cost a lot in the first place !!
see what your neighbours have built and any problem's they have had
Warren
oops we are going with versatile homes and the rep live's down the road

More
10 years 7 months ago #398612 by rob
once again, thank you to all concerned

Rob

More
10 years 7 months ago #398700 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic getting a home built
Before
Exterior done

We're at the gib and internal doors stage now - very exciting!!!

Starting to feel like a real house now.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
10 years 7 months ago #398776 by rob
exciting times indeed, hope all goes well for you

Rob

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds