COMPUTER VIRUS ~ MS Blaster Worm

More
14 years 5 months ago #2917 by Birman Babe
Received a popup from HP this morning advising that the above worm is a threat to all using XP and 2000 and that I should download a a specific MS Patch. I have never been advised of worms by HP before so was wondering if this really is serious or not? Did anyone else get this popup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 5 months ago #78869 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic COMPUTER VIRUS ~ MS Blaster Worm
No BB not here, although something did try to get into my computer the other day, but that was a trojan horse!! AVG took care of it though.

More
14 years 5 months ago #78876 by Birman Babe
The Blaster Worm-Virus is affecting the entire personal computer industry and may impact computer system running Microsoft® Windows® XP or Windows 2000, that are not updated with Microsoft patch MS03-026. If a file named “Msblast.exe” is present on your computer, this is an indicator that the worm-virus is active

More
14 years 5 months ago #78877 by ronnie
Hi BB, I didn't get a pop-up, but when I did the "check for new software" thing, a patch was downloaded with that.

Perhaps check on the Microsoft website for more info.

cheers
Jan

More
14 years 5 months ago #78879 by Birman Babe
I think I will download the patch (they have given me the option). Just thought that my NOD32 should pick virus up (maybe not). Never had a popup like this from HP before so it must be something serious??

More
14 years 5 months ago #78894 by max2
My laptop is set to check for updates at HP, but its never said anything about a worm or virus, just updates...

I too would be checking the microsoft site.

More
14 years 5 months ago #78928 by wyseyes
Very much DO NOT trust a popup from anybody, especially if it is offers to fix a potential problem you may or may not have.

It is very easy to knock up a fake popup which looks official from any *trusted* source, and send it out advising that you download *this* to fix the problem. You need to realilse that the *this* IS the problem. It will be a virus, or trojan, or keygrabber, or any number of bad things.

The MBlaster worm has been around for ages, the antivirus programs all know to look for it, and if there is a new version of it then the antivirus people know about it long before you do, and send an update automatically.

Please don't touch this 'update' or 'patch', that is what they are trying to scare you into doing.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 5 months ago #78929 by Birman Babe
Thanks, I will just leave things as they are ...

More
14 years 5 months ago #78933 by grannie Mary
I got that "Microsoft" popup about a week ago & ignored it as I have never had anything like that from MS before

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
14 years 5 months ago #78968 by Kiwi303
MS Blaster was a '05 problem...

old hat these days, any AV software will deal to it without your even noticing.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds