KitchenAid mixers

More
12 years 7 months ago #29104 by highgirl
KitchenAid mixers was created by highgirl
I know in another older thread blimeyvicki had just got a Kitchen Aid mixer from amazon...

I was just wondering how it was going or if anyone else had any advice? I just saw them today at the Home Show and would love to have one :D

At the moment I have a Breville which I suppose works ok but the :D control switch thing is a bit dodgy I think...

Plus I love all the attachments I could get which would make a lot of my other appliances redundant, saving on space [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396391 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic KitchenAid mixers
Piece of advice re KitchenAid mixers. They are absolutely great.....but and it's a big but!

If you buy one, try to pick up an older model, perhaps off TM. The new ones have a poor quality gear in them which has a "failsafe" gizmo to prevent the motor burning out in the event of an overload (Such as in kneading dough that's a bit too stiff) Now while the idea is good, the nuisance value this creates in having to replace the gear is exasperating. The older models do not have this problem. If you really want to go new, then check out whether the problem has been corrected or you may be forever replacing the failsafe, which is in itself a paradox.

Try this link which has a bit of chatter about them www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/05/help-my...hat-should-i-do.html

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 7 months ago #396401 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic KitchenAid mixers
In a similar vein, does anyone have any experience of any of the MagiMix range of food processors? I don't want a Kitchen Aid, but need a food processor with some grunt, as the Kenwood one I have now is a piece of p**.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396435 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic KitchenAid mixers
Not sure about the Magimix ones Andrea, but we have just bought a Breville Icon food processor and it is nothing short of amazing. It is quiet, really quick and powerful. Well worth the extra money spent I think.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396440 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic KitchenAid mixers
I've got a KitchenAid and I don't find it amazing. The only thing it does well is making LSA (ground up Linseed, Sunflower seeds and Almonds) but with everything else it lags MILES behind the other food processors I've tried and owned. It hasn't got much grunt at all, but it's idiot-proof which is a necessity for certain users[}:)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #396496 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic KitchenAid mixers

Andrea;391191 wrote: In a similar vein, does anyone have any experience of any of the MagiMix range of food processors? I don't want a Kitchen Aid, but need a food processor with some grunt, as the Kenwood one I have now is a piece of p**.

We have a Magimix 3100 on order (expected next week). I'm sure I will be informed of its qualities in due course [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #396503 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic KitchenAid mixers
Thank you very much for that Stikkibeek [;)] I'll make sure I check it out before I buy if I go for a new one - of course I need to save the $$$ first anyway :(

I have a nasty habit of overloading appliances so no doubt I'd be replacing the part constantly [:0]

More
12 years 7 months ago #396504 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic KitchenAid mixers
I love my Kitchen Aide mixer! It seems to be quite powerful, it is heavy and strongly built. And it is MUCH quieter than I thought it would be. You do need a step down transformer if you get it from the States though as it is built for 110 volt systems.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396509 by highgirl
Where do you get step down transformers from? Are they something you can just get easily from an electrical store?

Also, do you know if the problem SB mentioned has been fixed or not?

More
12 years 7 months ago #396510 by blimeyvicki
The cheapest place for the transformer is Trade Me. About $129 for 1000w. Not sure about the problem that SB mentioned. And just to be clear I have got a KA food processor, not the stand mixer. I have a kenwood stand mixer that I'm very happy with :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #396511 by Organix

highgirl;391313 wrote: Where do you get step down transformers from? Are they something you can just get easily from an electrical store?

Jaycar Electronics

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #396514 by blimeyvicki

Organix;391315 wrote: Jaycar Electronics

Jaycar were charging $299 for an equivalent transformer.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396516 by Organix

blimeyvicki;391319 wrote: Jaycar were charging $299 for an equivalent transformer.

By 'equivalent' keep in mind that Jaycar stock commercial quality components, and 1000W will barely cope with the current required for a decent food processor :confused:

Edit: The TM listed stepdown Tx looks very similar to the Jaycar one. We have a large SD Tx to run a couple of appliances that OH brought in from Canada including her 'Vitamix' blender but the situation of setting it all up each time an appliance is required is a real hassle and not recommended.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396551 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic KitchenAid mixers
I have a Kitchen Aid and we use it for making pizza dough, cake batter, pancake mix. My only complaint is that the beaters don't reach right to the edge, so sometimes there's a layer of unmixed flour goo stuck to the bottom and sides.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 7 months ago #396636 by highgirl
Thanks for clarifying that BV...I just had cake mixers in mind for some reason, but still good to get feedback on the brand itself (and the whole amazon thing)

I'm thinking now that with the hassle/expense of getting the stepdown thing and dealing with an extra piece when I'm wanting to use it I may just stick to getting one from NZ, then at least I also have comeback if anything were to go wrong with it... although the $$$ saving is definitely tempting!

I get that unmixed flour goo with my breville as well kaybe - I always just get my spatula and give it a whizz around at some stage during the mixing.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds