Freezer question

More
10 years 8 months ago #29033 by oskatd
Freezer question was created by oskatd
Hi, hopefully we have a refridgeration expert out there. We have just invested in a new freezer - bought at farmers, and arranged to be delivered by same. The freezer didn't turn up on the day it was meant to, so i phoned to see where it was and when it would turn up. The girl told me it would be delivered the next day, all good, I expected an early morning call to arrange a mutually suitable time. However, what i got was a message on my mobile in the middle of the day saying he was on his way. I happened to be riding the horse some distance away at the time. When I got the message and called him back he said 'it's on your porch'. I said, 'how can this be? i have paid for delivery, installation etc'. Anyhoo, to cut a long story short, the freezer was left on the porch on it's right side, despite the box saying to store it on the left side (as it's a chest freezer). My question is (finally) are there any implications to the longevity of the freezer given it was left on it's wrong side for 24hours? It was stored on the end where the motor is... (and it had a huge dent in one end:rolleyes:)
cheers - a bit long winded i know.....[:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #395516 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Freezer question
I would be taking photos of the dent for starters. If you paid for installation, I would leave it there and ask when you are going to get it installed as you are a poor helpless female (sorry if i have the wrong gender) and there is no way you could possibly lift it all by yourself. If they will not come and install it, I would at very least request a refund.

It having been stored on its side will not do the coolant any harm as long as it is stored on its correct side for about 24 hours before switching it on.

More
10 years 8 months ago #395517 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Freezer question
How can they even prove that it was delivered to the right house if no-one was there to sign for it?

More
10 years 8 months ago #395528 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Freezer question
Fridges and freezers can have coils visible or concealed under side panels where they shed their heat. This is why they are often labelled not to be lifted on certain sides. If a freezer is dented in this area it can be significantly damaged as the coils may be squashed.
As Kai says, if a fridge or freezer is not left in the correct orientation for at least 24 hours before turning on, there may be bubbles within a part of the coil that will cause damage if it is run.

More
10 years 8 months ago #395548 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Freezer question
I had a fridge delivered, and put in place. They unpacked the fridge on the lawn, and while moving it inside scraped the ranch slider. I told them to take it back and bring me a new one.
It was their error which caused the fault, get them to replace the whole thing.
And the whole delivery/installation? Not your problem, you organised a time, and they didn't keep it. A message on the answerphone isn't sufficient.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
10 years 8 months ago #395552 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Freezer question
Ta, I rang farmers and complained, the manager (who would have struggled to sound less interested if she tried) agreed to refund the $$ we paid for delivery. husband pointed out dent isn't 'huge' but it is deep - and the other end from the motor. We borrowed a trolley jack and moved it into position, unpacked it and it's still waiting to be turned on as don't really need it until the steer comes back from butcher (and he hasn't gone yet!)

More
10 years 8 months ago #395556 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Freezer question
Have them collect and replace.

I had a long fight with Farmers over a faulty and then scratched new fridge. In the middle of it all, I had a guy come into my house when I wasn't here, take everything out of the fridge and replace it with a "courtesy" fridge, and leave some gates open on his way out, leaving Isla practically with the bull for a day. The potential damage in that situation made me ... quite cross.

Good luck, but stick with it. You bought a new, undamaged appliance for which you paid delivery. That's what you contracted to have, so insist on it.

More
10 years 8 months ago #395566 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Freezer question

oskatd;390226 wrote: We borrowed a trolley jack and moved it into position, unpacked it and it's still waiting to be turned on as don't really need it until the steer comes back from butcher (and he hasn't gone yet!)

Don't wait until then to try it, you want to if see your damaged item works as soon as possible if you think you will keep it.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
10 years 8 months ago #395572 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Freezer question
We recently bought a small chest freezer from Warehouse and paid for delivery, it was dented quite badly, we took it back as were we able to put it on it's side because it wasn't going to be onsold, changed for a new one and used their free trailer service to get it home. The people who delivered it were subcontractors so couldn't really get them to pick up. It was a bit of a pain but ok in the end and we only live less than 10 mins away.
Your situation is bloody nuisance and fancy not making sure you were home, hopeless and I would be cross!
ps. I'd like to add that I don't think we do 'customer service' very well in this country!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 8 months ago #395577 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Freezer question
If you do keep it, you should at least get a discount for the damage. Stores commonly sell shop-soiled and dented whiteware at a discounted rate.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396149 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Freezer question
Put up a huge stink, ask them to come and replace it ASAP, threaten to get Fair go involved - just really, really given them an earful. If the Manager does not work up some enthusiasm, there's always the national sales office.
THEN, and only then, talk compensation etc. DO NOT settle for anything less than an undamaged, delivered and installed appliance.

And then, steer clear of Farmers - we do, for exactly that reason.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 8 months ago #396178 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Freezer question
Once upon a time Farmers was a good place to shop where one could buy anything. Then came the Chase Corporation buyout and the crash of '87. That's when the rot set in.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396189 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Freezer question
Oooh gosh that kind of thing makes me mad. I worked in retail for many years and there is no way we would do that to a customer! As others have said, you paid for a brand new item to be delivered and installed. You did not pay for a damaged item to be left on your doorstep. If you wanted one with a dent you could have bought a shop soiled/display appliance for a large discount.

You are completely within your rights to require them to take it back and deliver and install an undamaged one as agreed when you bought it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds