Advice re computer screen please -

More
12 years 8 months ago #29012 by trixie
Hi - I have an Apple Mac 0sX version 10.4 and am on Orcon broadband. Much more techo stuff than that sorry I'm not sure.

Today when I turned my computer on it looks like a one inch net curtain has been put all the way down the left side of screen. :confused:

It is covering (but see through,) everything i.e. the menu bar at top etc. Computer appears to be working fine at the moment.

If this was an older TV I would say the tube was going. Do screens die ?

Thanks for any advice .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #395346 by kaybe
Gosh, sounds peculiar! How old is your Mac?

Once upon a time when I worked in a Mac office we used to have to degauss our screens occasionally if they went wobbly, also sometimes the magnets in the corners needed to be realigned. This sounds like a complete load of rubbish even to me, but that's how I recall it anyway - it was 20 years ago! I don't know how much the technology has changed but I've haven't had to degauss a screen since those days.

Hopefully someone with useful knowledge will be along soon!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 8 months ago #395347 by kaybe
Ah, there you are, I just looked it up and it says modern monitors will automatically degauss when you completely shot down and then reboot the computer. Have you tried rebooting again?

Apparently if that doesn't work you should take it to an Apple dealer for repair. PC monitors may have a manual degauss button on the fron, but Macs don't.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 8 months ago #395428 by wyseyes
This isn't a degussing problem, it sounds like one of the chips responsible for driving that portion of the screen is failing.
I've had it before on other LCD monitors, first one strip, then more. They eventually failed. I think the chip is overheating, as a liberal squirt of cold spray temporarily fixes it.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 8 months ago #395454 by trixie
Hi - Thanks for answers - yes I have rebooted, had it all turned off all night and exactly the same today when I restarted it.

Wyseyes - are you suggesting my computer needs a cold shower ??!!

Guess it sounding like a repair shop job. Bummer, just when the house insurance came in and has jumped up heaps.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds