Bummer!

More
12 years 8 months ago #394659 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bummer!
Yes airlines will be picky about the plaster, but it can be done.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394663 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bummer!
Ooh no! Ouch![:0]
Just curious: did you break the scaphoid? It is the wrist bone at the base of the thumb, and is most vulnerable when we reach out to catch ourselves when falling...:(
And it hurts... I remember when I broke mine, after I fell, someone bumped it, and I immediately said, "I've broken my wrist!" It was a new sort of pain...:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #394683 by digby
Replied by digby on topic Bummer!
[:0] take care

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
12 years 8 months ago #394705 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Bummer!
OUCH :( and what a bummer ...but agree with your positive thinking[^] it ould have been at a worst time ...at least with your OE you can relax and let things heal[;)] Have a great holiday [^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 8 months ago #394709 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Bummer!
Bummer Sue :(
Um u will get used to it very quickly :) , and its ammazzing what one can do one handed and how plasters can be used to lean things against to hold them :)
:) you will get the hang of the driving very quickly to :) ( take it from one who knows on broken bones lol :) )
Hope your trips away go well to :)
Um guess you wont be at Manawatu show with beefies huh lol :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #394718 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Bummer!
to continue the theme of homeopathics supporting healing; Symphytum will speed up the healing of the bone, making the bone knit faster.

look at it this way, Sue: it's much better you had holiday planned anyway; that way, all the chores have already been farmed out to someone else[}:)]

heal well, and enjoy the time off

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 8 months ago #394724 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Bummer!
It's so easy to trip over, and unfortunate that our bones get brittle as we age.....just another reason not to fall off horses.....:rolleyes: hope you cope Sue, enjoy your down time..... :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #394730 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Bummer!

Stikkibeek;389253 wrote: Yes airlines will be picky about the plaster, but it can be done.

my immediate thought was about swelling inside the cast and possible restriction of blood supply.. hadnt thought of stuffing something down there..

More
12 years 8 months ago #394734 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Bummer!
Hi all, have been busily trying to find out what AirNZ has to say about flying with a cast! Seems that I can comply, ie cast is split, will have been done 72 hours or more and is not a leg-so I don't need any extra room or help! I would hate to be turfed off at 6am and not allowed to go.
It is the radius, a Colles fracture of the radius and a sort of jumble of wrist bones they had to shove back down when the radius got shunted in amongst them! Fingers are blue and swollen with all the pulling and stretching they did, that hurt more than the break!

Yes Stu, still putting entries in for Manawatu A&P-though I'll still be in plaster! I did the right wrist about 15 years ago, so I'll have a matching pair! That wasn't a fall but by getting jammed between the yard rails and some weaners, and trying to use my hands to push them off standing on my toes!

Yeah witheze, bones do get brittle as you age, but you also fall over easier!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394738 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Bummer!
Ow...[B)]
With all that displacement you will be recovering from a sprain as well as a fracture. :( I hope you are not in too much pain and can still enjoy your trip...

More
12 years 8 months ago #394782 by Leslie_NZ
Replied by Leslie_NZ on topic Bummer!

stephclark;389329 wrote: my immediate thought was about swelling inside the cast and possible restriction of blood supply.. hadnt thought of stuffing something down there..

I think that is the issue with airlnes, more than stuffing something down the cast, Melbourne although "short haul" you still have an increased risk of swelling and compartment syndrome especially with a full cast, if split then the wrist can still swell somewhat and the cast wont restrict, or if it does swell quite a lot then it can be easily removed in flight.

Generally the same reason why larger fractures have a back slab (half hard cast, half soft) to support the area and somewhat immobilise the area until swelling goes down, then they do a full cast about a week later.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394816 by Stu_R
Ok Sue :) glad to hear you can still fly :)
Um Manawatu show you guys already know you have a "dogsbody" beefie washer/waterer/mucker outer/leader that will be there for certain :)
Oh um at Expo .. Liz Jones told me that if they were going to Royal up north they were going to ask me to go with them and the animals, man that was a complimeant and half :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
12 years 8 months ago #394817 by Stu_R
:) Leslie .. um i love those ones :) ... they let me out of hospital with one one .. i said to the doc " well i have a manual car, so thats driving out :( " he made the mistake of saying " well over time it will soften and you should be able to use a clutch" .. hone .. 5 minutes .. pliers bend , can drive and use clutch :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #394890 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Bummer!
As you say totally lucky the calving has finished, and it is indeed NOT a broken hip. Heal quickly and have an awesome time o/s :)

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 8 months ago #395319 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Bummer!
Oh you poor thing Sue. Rest up and heal well.

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds