Diatomaceous Earth

More
10 years 9 months ago #28892 by oskatd
Diatomaceous Earth was created by oskatd
Does anyone use this either for themselves or their animals? Just wondered about how you find it?
ta :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393864 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Diatomaceous Earth
I mix it to a slurry with water and paint it on the perches in the chicken coop. It's meant to prevent red mite infestations as it dries out the mites as they try to crawl over it. I've also dusted it into all the nooks and crannies around the coop and I toss a bit into the chooks' dust bathes so they can work it through their feathers.

So far I've had no sign of external parasites so it may be working... or I may just be lucky. No way of knowing really! I will keep using it though as it's cheap, easy and acceptible in an organic system (not that my back yard is organic).

I also used it in my chooks' food for a while as an attempt to reduce intestinal worms. They still got worms so I don't bother any more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 9 months ago #393875 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous Earth is a finely ground silica rich sediment. Plenty of uses including pest insect control but use gloves and a dust mask when handling it as lung, skin and eye problems can occur.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds