feeding dogs venison

More
12 years 5 months ago #28873 by skyline_glenn
What do I need to do to a deer carcus before I feed it to our lab? I want to give her the spine and part of the rib cage.

Cheers

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #393651 by Suffolk Brae
Replied by Suffolk Brae on topic feeding dogs venison
We feed our malamute venison neck bones every day. While these are from silverfern farms they are complete with the spinal cord etc still inside. These are in a solid frozen block. I would think if you put the venison into the freezer for a couple of weeks, this should kill any bugs on the meat/bones.

More
12 years 5 months ago #393661 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic feeding dogs venison
I get as venison before beef bones whenever I can for my dogs, way leaner so therefore better for the big fatties[;)] I freeze them so they don't go manky, but also give them some fresh as soon as I get home or they behave badly. :p

Their best trick is stashing some and bringing them out several weeks later to make the place nice and smelly. Yum, the bone that just keeps on giving...[xx(]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #393919 by wiltshire
Replied by wiltshire on topic feeding dogs venison
i gave our lab bones or a hoof as soon as i got back from hunting and also froze some of the bones for another day she was just as keen with it being frozen solid as when it was fresh

More
12 years 5 months ago #393925 by kai
Replied by kai on topic feeding dogs venison
I would say, it is meat, it is a dog, just stick the two together and dont worry about it.

More
12 years 5 months ago #394256 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic feeding dogs venison
watch out for smelly back ends :) Venison makes our dogs smell SOOOOOOO bad :) we BBQ all the bones from one of the deer that hubby shot out here...they loved it :) I just pop them in the freezer, the dogs love them on hot days, its like a meat ice block :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds