Is this a scam?

More
10 years 9 months ago #28831 by eelcat
Is this a scam? was created by eelcat
Recently we have had two trade enquiries, that on the surface look genuine. Extracts are below:

"Therefore, calculate the total bill including breakfast and send to me swiftly so that I can make the payments and make our travel plans accordingly.

I also hope that you have credit card facilities for billing. I will send the billing or payment details as soon as I get the total cost which will be in your reply. " - England

"Once i have these details, i will get back to you with my credit card details immediately. so you can charge and make the necessary shipping arrangements." Ukraine

However, what is odd is that if one had been on our website(s) one would know this information, one would know prices and one would know that one can book/purchase on-line. Any Google (or other) searches of our type of products, both physical and accommodation will take you to our website(s) where one can buy on-line. The second quote, specifically asked for jam varieties that are listed on our website. Both websites have contact forms for information if that is what the writer wanted. I am not silly enough to give details directly - for one I suggested that they book accommodation on-line and the other that they talk with our distributors re sending stuff to the Ukraine. BUT, both times, the enquiry has disappeared. Am I being paranoid or is some spam sophisticated enough to look like the real thing?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393137 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic Is this a scam?
Looks good. Go for it.

Ed Mkumbo
Livingstone Chalets
Nigeria.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393140 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Is this a scam?
That's pretty much what I thought too. Good thing I'm reasonably smart :D - shame, large orders too.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 9 months ago #393152 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Is this a scam?
Sounds suspiciously like one of the ones where they will over-pay you, ask for a refund on the overpayment, then cancel the whole thing and keep your money. Or maybe I'm just the suspicious type, too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 9 months ago #393153 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Is this a scam?
Love Will's reply!! And I think spammers are definitely getting more tricky and clever. Good on you for spotting it though there does seem something a bit odd about the phrasing of that first sentence. Not sure what though - maybe the use of the word 'swiftly'

More
10 years 9 months ago #393154 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Is this a scam?

jeannielea;387587 wrote: Love Will's reply!! And I think spammers are definitely getting more tricky and clever. Good on you for spotting it though there does seem something a bit odd about the phrasing of that first sentence. Not sure what though - maybe the use of the word 'swiftly'

The limitations of Google translation :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 9 months ago #393157 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Is this a scam?
LOL Will :D :D :D

What happens if people don't refund the overpayments?

>

More
10 years 9 months ago #393173 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Is this a scam?

Cinsara;387591 wrote: LOL Will :D :D :D

What happens if people don't refund the overpayments?

The original payment gets rescinded so you end up with nothing anyway. If you make the refund, you end up with less than you had.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393177 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Is this a scam?
is this a scam? is the pope a catholic? do allblacks have oval balls? what da ya reckon?

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393180 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Is this a scam?

mikethebike;387614 wrote: do allblacks have oval balls?

I don't know, I've never been in the changing rooms with them :D :D :D :D :D

>

More
10 years 9 months ago #393193 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Is this a scam?
eelcat, I get enquiries along those lines all the time for our products. I usually give them a quote, or send them an invoice and insist on Telegraphic Transfer only of funds, which are to be paid in full before I begin the order. Needless to say, I never hear from them again, nor do I get the money - funny that [;)]

I also have a fully automated website.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393200 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Is this a scam?

ronnie;387630 wrote: eelcat, I get enquiries along those lines all the time for our products. I usually give them a quote, or send them an invoice and insist on Telegraphic Transfer only of funds, which are to be paid in full before I begin the order. Needless to say, I never hear from them again, nor do I get the money - funny that [;)]

I also have a fully automated website.

Okey dokey, I'll go on doing what I've always done - be polite, but tell them to pay and book through the website. I also have had a lot of the (obviously spam) overpayment emails, and the cancellation of accommodation, thus requiring a refund emails. Blooming timewasters.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393204 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Is this a scam?
I always tell overseas folks to book their accommodation on line with AA Travel, then the credit card is cleared, and I dont have to worry. Also the booking is secure, and that is the way I always deal with those enquiries, and its amazing how many dont follow up and do their booking for accommodation. I had one lot want to book for 10 days, and I asked for their cheque before I would do the booking, amazing I got a cheque for $6500 American dollars, and it came from Ghana. Of course I did not bank it, and neither did I keep the rooms available for them. No one showed up either. Surprise, surprise! Still have the cheque here if any one wants it!

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds