Eureka! An age old problem, solved!

More
10 years 9 months ago #28743 by Stikkibeek
I've done it! Scientists have been pondering perpetual energy for years, and in a stroke of genius I have solved the mystery.

How?.................................. I thought you'd never ask. :rolleyes:

Well it's all in the free input. 9 of my hens are laying 63 eggs a week. 24 eggs are sold each week, that gives me $10 with which I buy 1 bag of laying pellets
The other 3 doz eggs I boil each week and feed crushed back to the hens over a couple of days, so they lay another 63 eggs. the pellets last 2 weeks, making the cost just $5 per week. My tenth hen is an antique bantam. She lays every second day so I get 3/4 eggs from her which I don't sell. That leaves 3 normal eggs left over and 3/4 bantam eggs which are what we eat. So, perpetual energy or what! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392256 by WillEyre

Stikkibeek;386585 wrote: I've done it! Scientists have been pondering perpetual energy for years, and in a stroke of genius I have solved the mystery.

How?.................................. I thought you'd never ask. :rolleyes:

Well it's all in the free input. 9 of my hens are laying 63 eggs a week. 24 eggs are sold each week, that gives me $10 with which I buy 1 bag of laying pellets
The other 3 doz eggs I boil each week and feed crushed back to the hens over a couple of days, so they lay another 63 eggs. the pellets last 2 weeks, making the cost just $5 per week. My tenth hen is an antique bantam. She lays every second day so I get 3/4 eggs from her which I don't sell. That leaves 3 normal eggs left over and 3/4 bantam eggs which are what we eat. So, perpetual energy or what! :p

Does this factor in all the energy you expend just driving in to pick up pellets? And your muscular activities, with all the gathering and crushing of eggs, etc, also has to be paid for in purchased calories.

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392261 by Stikkibeek

WillEyre;386588 wrote: Does this factor in all the energy you expend just driving in to pick up pellets? And your muscular activities, with all the gathering and crushing of eggs, etc, also has to be paid for in purchased calories.

Ed

Oh Yes! Naturally I have factored that in. The $5 profit I make on the first week, becomes $15 on the second week. I don't have to make a special trip to get the layers pellets. I go right past the shop to and from my place of work and there is plenty of profit left over to cover the small amount of gas it takes to boil the said eggs. Water is free as it's rain water. I back load the eggs when returning from the compost bin. No special trips, no extra costs.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392263 by WillEyre

Stikkibeek;386593 wrote: Oh Yes! Naturally I have factored that in. The $5 profit I make on the first week, becomes $15 on the second week. I don't have to make a special trip to get the layers pellets. I go right past the shop to and from my place of work and there is plenty of profit left over to cover the small amount of gas it takes to boil the said eggs. Water is free as it's rain water. I back load the eggs when returning from the compost bin. No special trips, no extra costs.

Very well. Now get busy and see if you can make honey out of doggy doo.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392264 by Stikkibeek
Honey! Oh no. My sights are set much higher than that. Gold, at the very least :p I'm working on the chemical equation as we "speak":rolleyes:

More
10 years 9 months ago #392266 by kaybe
Lol, Stikkibeek and WillEyre, our own comedy duo :-)

I had never thought about feeding the eggs back to the chooks - crushed shell and all I assume? Do they like them?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392267 by Stikkibeek

kaybe;386598 wrote: Lol, Stikkibeek and WillEyre, our own comedy duo :-)

I had never thought about feeding the eggs back to the chooks - crushed shell and all I assume? Do they like them?

Too right. Sharks at a feeding frenzy. :p Hope they don't grow dorsal fins.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392269 by Stikkibeek

Stikkibeek;386596 wrote: Honey! Oh no. My sights are set much higher than that. Gold, at the very least :p I'm working on the chemical equation as we "speak":rolleyes:

Yessssssssssss! I've found it. (Thank goodness for cyber world.)

A box without hinges, key, or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392272 by WillEyre

kaybe;386598 wrote: Lol, Stikkibeek and WillEyre, our own comedy duo :-)

I didn't really want to be drawn into being serious over this crazy notion of perpetual ovulation but in my neck of the woods we've always had the idea that this would encourage them to eat their own eggs. And once they start that it seems to spread like a contagion amongst the flock.
And so it all ends up as headless chickens.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392274 by kaybe
I'm guessing cooking them and crushing them takes the curse off it, as they no longer taste/look like what a hen recognises as 'egg'?

I need to do something with the eggs which are building up in my storeroom - even giving them away, incubating them, letting hens go broody, and eating them, I still have about 150 stored and counting...

More
10 years 9 months ago #392276 by WillEyre
Everybody's chooks seem to be laying up large but ours - they've only just started again after winter. (20 chooks and two eggs, so far).
We've just bought 15 day -old highliner chicks (a week ago), so it's likely to be a while before we're confronted with a surplus.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392277 by thevarneys
Wow how many hens do you have Kaybe?[:0] Shall I send you recipe ideas for eggs? Pavalova, sponge cake, bacon and egg pie, omelette, quiche.... :D

Stikkibeak, that sounds like pretty good returns for you. :D

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392281 by kaybe
thevarneys, I have about 24 lol! There was a population explosion last year starting at the end of winter with one hen who went broody - I swear the sounds of the chicks sets them all off because it was one after the other after that, I had so many chicks. Some I sold, some I kept, something are impossible to catch, lol

Now it looks like the same thing is going to happen this year!

Thanks for the offer of the recipes but I have them all already, unfortunately my kids hate egg recipes :-( and the ones I like are just too fattening for me :-)

WillEyre, if you were closer I'd give you a tray!

More
10 years 9 months ago #392284 by WillEyre

kaybe;386614 wrote: thevarneys, I have about 24 lol! There was a population explosion last year starting at the end of winter with one hen who went broody - I swear the sounds of the chicks sets them all off because it was one after the other after that, I had so many chicks. Some I sold, some I kept, something are impossible to catch, lol

Now it looks like the same thing is going to happen this year!

Thanks for the offer of the recipes but I have them all already, unfortunately my kids hate egg recipes :-( and the ones I like are just too fattening for me :-)

WillEyre, if you were closer I'd give you a tray!

I wasn't hinting ..... okay.

During the spring/summer we too, generally have a surplus.
That's where the trap lies - the egg stocks build up and up and up. But, the moment you get talked into 'supplying' (usually) a friend with a regular amount, the devil's (the chooks) will let you down every time. They just seem to know when you become dependent on them.
We've had an exceptionally mild winter here and Spring is now springing big-time. Our chooks, however, still aren't convinced that better times are just around the corner.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392290 by kaybe
I didn't think you were hinting, I was just saying.... :-)

I agree about the risk of becoming a regular supplier, which is why I haven't tried to sell mine locally, I find supply will suddenly drop if a couple of hens go broody and the rest find new nests which I don't find straight away (if ever!). Also if I find a nest, I'm willing to incubate/float test those eggs but I wouldn't expect someone who bought them in good faith to have to do that.

I like your Groucho Marx quote.

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds