More
10 years 9 months ago #28732 by pisa
I'm in NZ,got an NZ email addy, and this supposedly comes from the IRD:

so why's the amount in GBP????

Dear Applicant:

You have received a tax refund payment of 632.25GBP
from IRD (Inland Revenue) into your Internet
Banking Account.

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392104 by kate
Spammers often aren't very smart :D

Web Goddess

More
10 years 9 months ago #392111 by Organix
Mass generated 'phishing' email. Occasionally they get it obviously wrong but at the end of the day it's just a numbers game for them, and every now and then they might just turn up a recipient who is a bit slow on the delete button.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 9 months ago #392113 by stephclark
got one this morning.. it was in nz dollars..

remember if the ird want to give you a refund, they send a form with an option on how it is to be paid .. direct credit or cheq.. not via e mail..

but someone must fall for it, cause the spammers still keep doing it..

More
10 years 9 months ago #392119 by kaybe
I'm always getting emails that say there is a parcel for me, but it couldn't be delivered because it's not addressed correctly... REALLY? And it had my email address on it? Amazing!!

I wonder what happens it you are silly enough to open the 'attached mailing label' doc?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392121 by pisa
@kaybe a long time ago I did! And within 5 secs of hearing my pc's hard disk go into overdrive I force-killed it![:0]:( I waited a little while, disconnected the internet and asked it to reboot to last saved settings. Phew.
It was only 5 secs but the thought of the damage that could have happened still makes me break out in a cold sweat.

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
10 years 9 months ago #392128 by Leslie_NZ
Haha, I got a letter in the mail (real mail not email) saying that my great uncle someone or rather died and they searched through all the records and I was the last living relative that they could find with singh as a last name (taken as a married name), which maybe in stupidity land it might of been believable except for the few small issues with this... 1.) I have parents which are still alive (surely they would be a closer living relative than I) and 2) if they search my married last name... theres thousands of singhs living on this planet now.

I really dont know how stupid the spammers are for thinking up this crackpot idea, or how stupid people are falling for it.

On the plus side HAD it of been my great uncle I would of been worth 10 million euros woo!

More
10 years 9 months ago #392130 by kaybe

pisa;386443 wrote: @kaybe a long time ago I did! And within 5 secs of hearing my pc's hard disk go into overdrive I force-killed it![:0]:( I waited a little while, disconnected the internet and asked it to reboot to last saved settings. Phew.
It was only 5 secs but the thought of the damage that could have happened still makes me break out in a cold sweat.

:D Well I appreciate you road-testing it for the rest of us :D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392142 by helen55
I received the same email today! I called IRD to alert them to it and they asked me to forward the email to their 'phishing' people for info and follow up

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
10 years 9 months ago #392168 by Xartep
I got that one too...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 9 months ago #392182 by DiDi
Well I won 400,000? today on my mobile phone only I had to send my address to a partial n address. I just delete. Certainly not personal!

More
10 years 9 months ago #392258 by Stikkibeek

Leslie_NZ;386451 wrote:
On the plus side HAD it of been my great uncle I would of been worth 10 million euros woo!

Oh and how sad to think, that with all the trouble in Greece, your $10 million Euros might be worth about.....:rolleyes:.....thinking.......thinking.....$1.50! :p

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds