Brain Failure - Charging Per Square Metre

More
10 years 9 months ago #28720 by Toast
Haven't worked this out for ages & my answers today seem outrageously wrong!

Mending horse rugs & need to charge for the canvas used. Somebody please help me with this example.

Patch is 28.5cm x 21cm; canvas is 110cm wide & cost $x

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #391967 by Hawkspur
If the canvas costs you $X for a metre length, and is 1.1m wide, then it costs
~0.91 x $X per square metre - if you have no wastage.
The area of the patch is 0.285 x 0.21 = 0.0599 square metres

and the cost of that patch of canvas is 0.91 x $X x 0.0599

Wastage and costs for having to keep canvas in stock and handling/measuring cutting etc. will increase the cost to you a bit too.

More
10 years 9 months ago #391968 by WillEyre
Not sure there's enough information there to work out anything, apart from the piece you quote (28.5x21) works out to 0.6 of a square metre. (This is about 1/17th of a square metre.)
Now, if you have a square metre price for your material, multiply that by 0.6 and you have your figure for the piece you're cuttting.
(eg. Material $12 per metre. So, $12 x .06 = $0.72)

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 9 months ago #391970 by Organix

Toast;386271 wrote: Haven't worked this out for ages & my answers today seem outrageously wrong!

Mending horse rugs & need to charge for the canvas used. Somebody please help me with this example.

Patch is 28.5cm x 21cm; canvas is 110cm wide & cost $x

Thanks.

0.285m x 0.21m = 0.060 m2

I assume your canvas price is per linear metre so divide that price by 1.1 (e.g. $40/lm = $36.36/m2. Therefore 0.06 x 36.36 = $2.18)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 9 months ago #391978 by WillEyre
Believe it or not, we have three contributors in agreement, all at the same time!
Toast, if you're still not sure, PM one of the above three and I'm sure you'll be given the exact figure. You can then juggle your profit margin, wastage allowance, etc on top of that.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392002 by Organix

WillEyre;386275 wrote: Not sure there's enough information there to work out anything, apart from the piece you quote (28.5x21) works out to 0.6 of a square metre. (This is about 1/17th of a square metre.)
Now, if you have a square metre price for your material, multiply that by 0.6 and you have your figure for the piece you're cuttting.
(eg. Material $12 per metre. So, $12 x .06 = $0.72)

Ed

You're missing a zero. 0.06m2 :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 9 months ago #392216 by Leslie_NZ
just a quick thought, if youre basing this on a square meter, which is 100x100 you would be over charge due to the fact the canvas itself isnt a square meter, it would be over a square meter, 110 x 100. = 11000cm2

The piece you want is 28.5 x 21 = 598.5cm2

Wouldnt the simple rule, what you want, over what you have then apply, so..
598.5 / 11000 = 0.054 and the charge that per the price?

so if it was $12m = 12 x 0.054 = 0.648 (65c)

otherwise you would be charging them for fabric that you still have in stock. Just a thought is all. I could be completely wrong (sorry if I am)

More
10 years 9 months ago #392224 by WillEyre
All examples above do recognize the fact that the material isn't a square metre but a lineal metre, 1100mm wide.
The factor of 0.91* in the equation is what converts the 1100 mm wide lineal metre into a true square metre.
And Leslie, in applying your factor of 0.054, you are also effectively using that 0.91 figure. (ie. 0.6 x 0.91 = 0.0546)

* 1000 / 1100 = 0.9090909 (rounded to 0.91)

In my specific example, I didn't do this conversion because I assumed that Toast had already done it. That is, worked out a per metre price, taking account of wastage, profit, etc.

Ed

ps. And yes, Organix, I had a brain fart and left out zero in the 0.06. I didn't bother acknowledging that because I thought the thread was a dead duck.
The original question seemed pretty urgent at the time, but going by the absence of any follow-up response the urgency appears to have evaporated. So, I don't really know why I'm dealing with this because the whole original request was based only on the one very specific piece of canvas being cut. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother next time.

More
10 years 9 months ago #392232 by Leslie_NZ
Ahh ok lol, *blushes* Thanks WillEyre! I'll stay quiet next time teehee :D

More
10 years 9 months ago #392234 by WillEyre

Leslie_NZ;386561 wrote: Ahh ok lol, *blushes* Thanks WillEyre! I'll stay quiet next time teehee :D

Not at all. Not at all.
What you're saying is every bit as correct as the previous entries - and in truth, easier to follow.
The trouble with the original question, for me was, I couldn't deduce just how much help was required.
So, everybody , so far, gets a pass. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392333 by Anne

WillEyre;386563 wrote:
So, everybody , so far, gets a pass. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Ed

----but the resulting fabric would be well less than 0.06 m2 :D .

More
10 years 9 months ago #392343 by WillEyre

Anne;386674 wrote: ----but the resulting fabric would be well less than 0.06 m2 :D .

Is that so?
Bearing in mind that 0.06 m2 is about 1/17th of a square metre, feel free to demonstrate how it's 'well less than that'.

Ed

More
10 years 9 months ago #392345 by Kiwi303
Well, looking at the cats we have, and thinking about the cat sized possums I have skinned, I reckon our cats would work out to about 25cm by 35cm + tail. so a bit bigger than the original patch :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 9 months ago #392348 by WillEyre

Kiwi303;386687 wrote: Well, looking at the cats we have, and thinking about the cat sized possums I have skinned, I reckon our cats would work out to about 25cm by 35cm + tail. so a bit bigger than the original patch :D

So?

More
10 years 9 months ago #392644 by Xartep
More than one way to skin a cat...

:D [;)] :D [;)] :D [;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds