mending MDF

More
10 years 10 months ago #391948 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic mending MDF
MDF furniture isn't necessarily crap. If you want a painted finish, MDF gives a much smoother base to work on than timber, and you don't end up with the grains showing through the painted surface.

Like I said, my desk was finished with a very durable surface, specifically because I wanted the best quality I could afford. Unfortunately when a roof leaks there is a limit to how long anything can stand in water before it gets damaged. And if you're renting you have no choice except putting your furniture in and out of storage each time you move, depending on what you can fit in that particular house.

So far I've had my desk about 17 years. It's not crap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #391951 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic mending MDF
Agreed with Lindeggs there. Most of our furniture new and secondhand in house is solid wood...BUT I do have a chest of drawers that I am hoping will fall apart anytime soon as they are quite ugly but have a use (children's artwork) and they are basically MDF that I have had since the age of 12 (and have travelled from UK) and I am now 46!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 10 months ago #391996 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic mending MDF

igor;386219 wrote: The real answer to the problem under discussion is think before you buy and don't buy crap.

i agre mdF is crap, I have got some stuf made form ti and it always falls apart[:(!]

More
10 years 10 months ago #392012 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic mending MDF
Well there is obviously quality MDF... and then there's crap MDF! (Actually it's more about the finishing)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 10 months ago #392013 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic mending MDF
And how you look after it. Heheheh.

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 10 months ago #392039 by Farmer53
Replied by Farmer53 on topic mending MDF
how can u not look aftre bookshelve they dont get wet btu fall apart anyhow and dont have lot of hevy books on.

More
10 years 10 months ago #392053 by igor
Replied by igor on topic mending MDF
It's fine as long as it remains dry and is not subjected to heavy loadings as in Farmer53's book shelf example. I agree that it can be painted or otherwise coated to look okay if that is what one likes. I like real timber which retains it's structural integrity even when it gets wet. The thing I referred to in my first post on this thread is the use of MDF for bathroom, laundry, and kitchen cabinetry. No matter how careful one is bathroom and laundry cabinets almost always get wet at some point resulting in incurable damage as the MDF swells like weet-bix and the protective/decorative laminate comes off at which point the structural integrity of the cabinet is destroyed.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds