Lambing from a wheelchair!

More
10 years 10 months ago #28482 by Midge
Last week I slipped down the back steps (wet from rain and looking for lambs in paddock instead of where I was going :-( ) and broke my leg and caused multiple dislocations in foot. Was operated on and now home.

I am so peed off that I can't get out and enjoy and photograph my girls and babes. It's many years since I've had sheep lambing and was so looking forward to it. I have 5 Romney ewes and the 3 served by the Texel ram each produced twins before I did my leg in so haven't been completely robbed of enjoyment. Last night one of the two girls served by a Perendale, produced twins so just one more to lamb. Thank god there have been no problems or hungry triplets for hubby to deal with! He's got his hands full with work and waiting on me hand and foot, as per surgeons orders.

Watch ya step guys!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #389172 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 10 months ago #389173 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Good warning, thank you! It's easy to forget to be careful and then have all plans completely disrupted!

More
10 years 10 months ago #389174 by The Kats Place
Oh Midge what a bummer. I do hope you are feeling better really soon, Hope it heals quickly

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 10 months ago #389176 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Sorry to hear you've hurt youself Midge...and I hope lambing continues to be trouble-free :D :D

Web Goddess

More
10 years 10 months ago #389177 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Oh Midge, what a time to be out of order.
Fingers crossed it runs smoothly for hubby. [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 10 months ago #389181 by jeannielea
Sympathies Midge and hope you are soon back upright even with crutches. Just as well all is ok with the lambs - and there'll always be next year

More
10 years 10 months ago #389185 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Sorry to hear Midge, not a good time of year-if any actually is a good time! Good job you are not having to milk either! Your sheep are being most co operative, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

A very timely warning indeed. I find I fall over far more easily these days and must concentrate on placing feet properly, not just hoping that I can keep upright, as once you go it is better just to go with it and try and fall carefully! Ha Ha!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 10 months ago #389222 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Crikey Midge, sorry to hear that. Hope you heal fast, and meanwhile lamb antics thru binoculars are almost as good as being there.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #389244 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Thanks for your good wishes guys :) Me too hoping for a speedy recovery so doing exactly as the surgeon said and keeping it elevated most of the time. The actual leg isn't giving me much pain but my ass and lower back is giving me so much grief that I'm having to knock back the tramadol much more than I'd like. I guess the Rheumatoid has a lot to do with this pain. My Dr is coming to check out this pain tomorrow.

All going well, the stitches come out on Thursday but I will still be non-weight bearing for another few weeks yet. At least I'll be able to get out onto the veranda to see my sheep and I'll also get lots of watercolour painting lessons done. The days just fly by which has really amazed me. Must be due to lots of visitors and my lovely home help lady.

Major health problems always seem to hit me in winter - poor ole Gerry, he's learnt more about cows, sheep and cooking, than he ever intended[;)]

Our house isn't positioned well to view the paddocks so Gerry has brought the sheep closer. He said the lambs were using the ram as a trampoline last night - I'm missing out on so much :(

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
10 years 9 months ago #389253 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Hi Midge,

Lovely to see you on here again but sad about the circumstances. Often wonder how you are getting on.
Take care

More
10 years 9 months ago #389541 by Midge
Thanks Jan,
I recall you sold your property - did you buy another block or have you gone urban?

Finally have the butt pain under control after my Dr's visit. He's put me on morph. tablets and they're working a treat. Feels so good to get a good nights sleep at last!

Watch ya step!

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
10 years 9 months ago #389542 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Hi Midge,

yes, we managed to sell our place. After a lot of debate and searching we found this place. We are renting at present but this house is fantastic. A huge 5 bedroomed place with lots of space for the business. Even have a proper office !!! And the house is in the middle of a run off block which is used for calves and baleage so the best of both worlds really - peace and quiet plus calves very close by. :D

More
10 years 9 months ago #389814 by Midge
Your current home sounds ideal, Jan :D We're on the outskirts of the village, close-ish neighbours but very private with great rural views. If you're ever heading North and feel like a brew you're most welcome to call in. PM me for ph#.

Lambing all done here now with a 'very large' single yesterday as the grand finale'. 180% lambing so stoked with that figure.

www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
10 years 9 months ago #389857 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Lambing from a wheelchair!
Oh gosh, Midge!!! I'm so sorry to hear of your accident! Indeed, watch your step, and I hope you get back on your feet soon.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds