bought lamb loin chops

More
10 years 10 months ago #28456 by max2
bought lamb loin chops was created by max2
Ok, you do the maths but today i bought 9 juicy looking lamb loin chops on special and I am mid way through cooking.

here are the sums:

Price $25.99 per kilo on special for $19.99 (from popular s/market chain)

Total pre cooked weight: .660 kilo

Total cost at 'till: $13.20

I am cooking them in an electric frypan very gently without spray or additives such as butter or oil as I consider it unnecessary, and have already drawn off 95 mls in liquid. Having let it settle for a wee while, there is no distinction between fat and water, it all seems the same, however my juicy chops now look lots smaller...

I don't think I bought a bargain....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #388878 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic bought lamb loin chops
Might depend on where you bought them Swaggie. Had you bought them at the Butcher in Tuakau, you would have been paying around $2 per chop, not had that much shrinkage or fluid out of them, but you would have paid say $5 more for those chops. Question is - was it a bargain?

Knowing exactly what you are talking about ( I grill) with chops on special from a local supermarket, I would rather pay more for the end result. Mind - so over the price of lamb that they are now a special treat so also another reason to want the best on offer. More fat though in the Butcher's chops though.

More
10 years 10 months ago #388890 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic bought lamb loin chops
yeah but Jim is the nicest guy in the world ever and all his stuff is pretty great tasting!! So you have to factor that into your sums somehow.....

More
10 years 10 months ago #388907 by sod
Replied by sod on topic bought lamb loin chops
we never buy meat from a slimymarket they may have washed them :D Our butcher has great meat but have only bought it a few times usually home kill. That sounds very dear to me

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 10 months ago #388912 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic bought lamb loin chops
The major chicken processors all now inject 'tender basting' (or similar) solutions into many of their products. I am also aware that this procedure is also now used on some beef. So perhaps sheep meat also now?

We don't buy any meat from supermarkets for this reason, and obviously price, but if you are buying from such channels it pays to read labels closely or if in doubt ask the butchery manager, or head office as in many cases meat is now packaged at centralised national facilities with little packaging detail (e.g. Progressive's "Fresh Zone").

Also water is only part of the problem as it is increasingly common that such injected liquids include additives such as MSG and other such 'flavour enhancers' [xx(]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 10 months ago #388991 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic bought lamb loin chops

MooandPop;382890 wrote: yeah but Jim is the nicest guy in the world ever and all his stuff is pretty great tasting!! So you have to factor that into your sums somehow.....

You are quite right M & P, but they didn't come from him. However we are going to get Jim to butcher and package up one of our steers very shortly....

More
10 years 10 months ago #388993 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic bought lamb loin chops
There is no fat separation in the excess liquid, I kept it on my bench overnight out of interest to see if any of it was fat.

Me thinks I will just wait now until our lambs grow a bit more..... rather than buy in lamb again.

More
10 years 10 months ago #389045 by Leslie_NZ
Replied by Leslie_NZ on topic bought lamb loin chops

Organix;382916 wrote: The major chicken processors all now inject 'tender basting' (or similar) solutions into many of their products. I am also aware that this procedure is also now used on some beef. So perhaps sheep meat also now?

We don't buy any meat from supermarkets for this reason, and obviously price, but if you are buying from such channels it pays to read labels closely or if in doubt ask the butchery manager, or head office as in many cases meat is now packaged at centralised national facilities with little packaging detail (e.g. Progressive's "Fresh Zone").

Also water is only part of the problem as it is increasingly common that such injected liquids include additives such as MSG and other such 'flavour enhancers' [xx(]

I have noticed it in pork products as well, we bought some maple marinaded pork loin chops from a certain stickman supermarket, very disappointed when the pork turned into a VERY rubbery substance, tasted OK, but texture was hideous and ruined the meal.

We have a brilliant butcher in Kamo, Whangarei (if anyone lives here they will know the one I'm talking about) and he does some amazing meat, pity you pay the price for it at the till but definitely worth it! so when we are having a "rich" week we splurg out and buy our meat from him. Texture, quality and flavour all in one package... makes me appreciate meat so much more :D
Oh and bacon products are properly smoked and have so much flavour! not sprayed on or waved nearby a smoker smoked like at the supermarkets!

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds