Far North Home Schools?

More
12 years 6 months ago #28420 by Leonie
Does anyone know of any home schools past Keri Keri around the Kaeo area? We have a 14 yr old son who has shown an interest in being home schooled if we get the property in Kaeo.

Thanks
Leonie

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388629 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Far North Home Schools?
There would be a Correspondence School Parent Coordinator up that way. I would ring the head office next week and ask them for contacts.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 6 months ago #388644 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Far North Home Schools?
What do you mean by a home school? People who home school do so in their own homes - there aren't any sites as such. There may be a home school group in the area. Do some internet research - you'll get heaps of groups saying their plan is the best and you can choose what will suit you.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388734 by Leonie
Replied by Leonie on topic Far North Home Schools?
Thanks for that..... I know where there are lots of kids being home schooled in one area, they will usually get together as a group every couple of weeks to socialize and do group lessons, Thats what i was meaning :) And thought i would see if anyone on here knew any such group or had home schooled children in that area themselves.

Yes, I have been looking at a couple of sites online thanks.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388747 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Far North Home Schools?
We are in the afore mentioned area and while not currently homeschooling (though have done in the past) the only group I know of is based in Kerikeri. We are applying by special out of area ballot to get our year 6 daughter into Kerikeri High next year - local high school choice is not so good, though I hear they have a new principal and is improving. If we dont get into Kerikeri we possibly have the option of Okaihau College, but would have to drive 7 km each way to the bus stop.
Where abouts is the piece of land you are looking at?

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388748 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Far North Home Schools?
There's an active group up here. I'm trying to think whom it is I know... Someone at a gathering not long ago was talking home-schooling.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388787 by Leonie
Hi and ty for that reply Ruth & TheVarneys. The land we have a contract on is in Kaeo up in the hills. We turn onto our Rd before the Hospital.
Hmmm yes we have also heard things aren't so great at said high school and know there are a number of kids who commute everyday to Keri Keri High School on a specific bus. That is also where we are wanting to send our 14 yr old son, but I thought I would have a look at home schooling in the area. And he is not liking the idea of changing schools lol.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388803 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Far North Home Schools?
Be careful who you listen to. Lots of people from outside the area here describe some of the schools in similar ways. They only know these things from other people from outside the area who've heard it said ... Get information from as close to source as possible. Ask real questions about the quality of the teaching, the science and maths programmes, etc.

I was educated in the local schools here. I do not feel I was done a disservice. Certainly there were one or two completely useless teachers along the way, but how many schools will you find where every teacher is a gem? Kids who are determined to do well, will do so anywhere.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388854 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Far North Home Schools?
i know the road you are moving to - we also looked at land up there several years ago. We have free healthcare in this area :D :D :D thats a bonus. In the case of this local college (which I went to as a kid), they may well be on the improve so as Ruth says, youd need to check it out yourself. However, in saying that, and even though all my kids are very bright and would probably survive there, (IMHO[;)]) there are a lot of goings on which would waste valuable learning time, and innocent sheltered kids such as my own would be exposed to lots of stuff.
To get into Kerikeri you would have to also apply via out of zone ballot. If you didnt get in one year, you might the next (homeschool the difference).
If you move to your land we can see the back of the hills you would be on from our place. The valley (right up the end of that road) comes out further down our valley.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 6 months ago #388874 by Leonie
Yes, I asked a few of the parents while up there who's children were going to the school and they advised me they had removed their children and why. But yes I will keep checking the situation also. thanks Ruth :)

TheVarneys, that is so cool, your not too far away hehe. I wont feel so alone if we make it there lol. I love the area and want to support local life as much as possible.

My sisters and brother live across in Omapere and Opinoni so I will have some family close enough.

Once we hear about our valuation this week I will know whether to move on the Keri Keri enrollment or home schooling.... so frustrating, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster, but oh well, got to stick it out. either way we are moving from here as our house has sold.... Fingers crossed.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds