cleaning pewter

More
10 years 10 months ago #28324 by kai
cleaning pewter was created by kai
I have a lovely pewter tankard made for the 1937 coronation. The body of the tankard I have cleaned up with brasso and it gleams. However the handle was more badly tarnished and brasso is not having an effect.
I know with brass that soaking in vinegar works wonders; is there a similar thing you can do for pewter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387488 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic cleaning pewter
hiya

depending on how big it is.. try lining a container or the sink, with aluminium foil, dull side up.. add a good amount of baking soda, couple of table spoons ( size of container dependant ) and add boiling water.. then soak the item..this causes a chemical reaction that has all tarnish transfered to the foil..no rubbing, no abrasion and excellant for finely worked pieces
this works brilliantly for silver

More
10 years 10 months ago #387492 by kai
Replied by kai on topic cleaning pewter
interested in this idea. Would this work for silver jewelry? I used to have a silver dip (goddards) which worked perfectly and lasted forever. The one I bought recently from a jewelers was used up after dunking all my silver jewelry once only.

have you tried this for pewter? I don't want to dunk it if it is likely to make it worse.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387497 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic cleaning pewter
This method of cleaning uses the difference between silver and aluminium in galvanic potential . (Their relative corrosion reactivity).

I wouldn't recommend this method for cleaning pewter, as (depending on it's age) pewter is mostly tin (or lead) and these are very close to the reactivity of aluminium on this scale.

This is however a great way to clean silver, as long as any dirt, grease or oil is removed first, the silver does not have decorative oxidation, (dark areas of oxide can used to highlight shape or texture), as this may be lost, and any other metal is not exposed (eg. under worn silver plating).

More
10 years 10 months ago #387498 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic cleaning pewter
brilliant for jewelery.. fine chains, rings, cutlery ..
i have used this for cooper and brass as well.. so pewter will be fine..
if you are worried.. just dip a small corner in and see.. it is realy very quick
i think the only thing that doesnt work is gold.. but then that doesnt tarnish!

More
10 years 10 months ago #387507 by kai
Replied by kai on topic cleaning pewter
thank you guys - not so much for the pewter thing, but I have just tried this on my silver jewelry and it has worked fantastically, no need to buy expensive cleaning products ever again.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387509 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic cleaning pewter

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds