Malware Alert!

More
10 years 10 months ago #28297 by igor
Malware Alert! was created by igor
I have received the following notification. Everybody be careful. DO NOT USE THE LINK!

SUBJECT

New Zealand Metservice Website ( metservice.com ) .

ACTION REQUIRED

Yes

INFORMATION

Please do not access this website until further notice. Field Operations staff has reason to believe the site is the source of a malware Trojan which has been circulating for the past few days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387182 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Malware Alert!
Funny, as a metservice email receiver, I have not had such notification. Are you quite sure that one isn't a hoax?

I'm really daring, I've been using the site every day lately and I've just gone there now! Look out, the trojan might be hiding in this very message!

More
10 years 10 months ago #387203 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Malware Alert!
I'm inclined to believe it because the notification has come from the IT department of the multinational company I work for. There is also a related article from the Dominion Post on stuff.co.nz today.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387206 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Malware Alert!
Ooops, he's right, article here

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 10 months ago #387214 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Malware Alert!
Definitely correct it infected my son's laptop, I have downloaded instructions on how to get rid of it, will do so tonight. It pretty much shut down his whole system. I wonder how many people have given away their credit card details trying to make it go away? (It asks for this info). I hope not too many!

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387221 by Ruth
I do beg your pardon!
Actually that explains a few messages my Malwarebytes has thrown up in the last few days. It didn't occur to me that there could be anything going on in Metservice!

Nothing is impossible, it would seem.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387222 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Malware Alert!

Ruth;381043 wrote: Nothing is impossible, it would seem.

More like ..... "nothing is sacred"

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 10 months ago #387232 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Malware Alert!
Mmm, I wondered why everything has started going slow?! So what can one do about it? I've got Trend Micro security.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387243 by Ruth
I did a virus scan and picked up two files which were presumably that problem. Quarantined them, everything has returned to normal.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387270 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Malware Alert!
Ah! I visited the Met service on a link posted here re the big freeze, just a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed anything wrong so perhaps this trojan is newer than my visit. Running unscheduled scan just in case. I've been getting an awful lot of bank alerts this last week, both Kiwi and National. I have been blocking them as quickly as they have been arriving, but so far I have not stopped them. Last one (National) came in from the UK. So glad I don't use internet banking!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 10 months ago #387283 by Ruth
The bugs my scan picked up were dated 11 Aug, before (I think it was I who posted it) that link appeared here, so it may pay to check. I would not have connected the two things without Igor's post.

My Eset virus program didn't stop it getting in, but it did pick it up and get rid of it during a scan. In the mean time Malwarebytes fortunately stopped the trojan from taking me to the dodgy sites. - I think that was how it was supposed to work, that the trojan redirected your computer to the bad site. I must admit my awareness of how these things are designed to work is somewhat sketchy.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387302 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Malware Alert!

Stikkibeek;381097 wrote: Ah! I visited the Met service on a link posted here re the big freeze, just a couple of days ago. I haven't noticed anything wrong so perhaps this trojan is newer than my visit. Running unscheduled scan just in case. I've been getting an awful lot of bank alerts this last week, both Kiwi and National. I have been blocking them as quickly as they have been arriving, but so far I have not stopped them. Last one (National) came in from the UK. So glad I don't use internet banking!

According to a news item on the Met Service bug it was from an advert running on their website rather than the forecast info.

I agree about the Kiwi and National bank phishing emails. I run Mailwasher and blacklist them but they keep coming in, presumedly from a variety of senders. Can't see your link between these emails and your internet banking phobia unless one is silly enough to ignore the banks' warnings and provide access details to these crooks [:I]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 10 months ago #387304 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Malware Alert!
I used the Metservice site many times during the past days but never clicked on any of the adverts so no trojan here.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387306 by Ruth
I didn't click on any ads either. One of the news reports said it could infect simply by being on the page where the ad and its extra were present. I certainly picked my infection up without clicking on ads, which is something I rarely do.

More
10 years 10 months ago #387325 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Malware Alert!
Same here, never clicked on any ads (I never do) but managed to infect my sons computer with the lovely Personal Shield Pro (or whatever the thing is called) just by going on the the site, it is the first time I have used his computer and look what happened....he may just ban me from using it again! I haven't had time to remove it yet, on the cards for tonight. Have disconnected it from the internet in the meantime.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

Time to create page: 0.338 seconds