Crazy weather

More
12 years 6 months ago #386886 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Crazy weather
Ok I think Im over it. Its not been above 3deg all day and is 0deg now. The snow stopped and turned to hail. Its calm and clear now and I can see dirty slush around the edges of the deeper snow and mud. Sigh. My poor cattle had frozen eye lashes earlier. The chicken pens have gone from white snow to mud. We have one solatary ewe who was so miserable so we spent 2 hours putting new doors on the pen we use for lambs in the garage then nearly an hour trying to get the silly thing inside. And of course once she was in she gave us a look as if to say Oh thats what you wanted. Bloody tart. So glad I held off getting my orphan lambs for now. The cats havent moved all day so litter trays inside for them. Only the dog enjoyed today in her coat out and about. Snow ball fights with DH were fun but enough is enough. Bring on summer.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #386899 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic Crazy weather
Well it started again at about 2pm. I was lucky to get out iof the site carpark with all the slushy ice. The hills behind Pauatahanui were beautiful this morning. Looks like it is going to be another cold night.

Glenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #386904 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Crazy weather
started while i was out at Awahuri moving sheep at 4.15pm
Back home in Feilding town now .. and everything white .. my car has about 4 inches on its roof .. back lawn ummmmm under there somewhere :(

Just hope my ewes at Awahuri keep their legs crossed

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #386957 by sod

More
12 years 6 months ago #387104 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic Crazy weather
Well, it started again this afternoon at 2.50. I think they have just shut the haywards hill road, it was definately chucking it down at 4.15 on the way home over haywards hill. Just taken the kids out to sled down the hill in bags and make a snowman.

Glenn

More
12 years 6 months ago #387107 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Crazy weather
COMPLETELY over it here. Dripping farm clothes all over the lounge, snow EVERYWHERE (the wind blew it on every covered surface you can think of, including about 3 meters into every shelter we have). Still, it sounds like CHch copped it much worse. We had about 20cm that we could measure, but I suspect much more than that because so much of it blew away yesterday when it was a drier snow and it was windy.

No damage, a few chooks stuck in the snow this AM, but DD spent a good couple of hours clearing areas for them to get to and fro to water/feed/shelter and not feel completely cut off. A mob of them followed her as she dug, and kept peering at her as if to say 'can't you go any faster?!'

It's been going almost non-stop since it started yesterday morning.

We ran out of coffee (!!!!!) today, so DH shoveled out the drive and drove into Oxford to top us up (and the thing is, we drink decaf!!!). He said is wasn't bad on the roads, but the town was deserted. Shop quite low in many things, and they were rationing the basics. We have coffee for tomorrow, so all is good.

More
12 years 6 months ago #387110 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Crazy weather

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds