$599 Mini-Laptop for Travellers

More
14 years 5 months ago #2810 by GrantK
A few months back Kate was asking for recommendations on a Pocket-PC which would allow her to surf the internet while travelling, without being reliant on Internet Cafes and the like.

Well, it seems we were a little ahead of the market at that time, but such a device has now arrived:

Full specifications are here:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/eee_pc_701

With some additional info. from Dick Smith's web site here:

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5818

The EEE comes loaded with Linux, but Windows XP can also be installed. Key things to note are:

- 7" Screen (may be too small for some!)
- Uses a Flash Memory Card instead of a Hard Disk, so is more immune to shocks
- Weighs less than 1kg!

Dick Smith is offering them for $599 but possibly Wyseyes can get them cheaper than that :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #77472 by wyseyes
Yep, been keeping an eye on these... they come in white too. Dick Smith has been out of stock for a while. Only just got them back in at 2 per store, but more by mail order.
I can get a whole $5 discount, $15 if I buy 25. I think it is rock bottom price for all at the moment, until a newer one comes along.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 5 months ago #77477 by kate
Thanks guys....very interesting....

Web Goddess

More
14 years 5 months ago #77485 by Kiwi303
looks like someone has upgraded the Psion lineup... what happened to the Ipaq and similiar?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 5 months ago #77491 by ame
Replied by ame on topic $599 Mini-Laptop for Travellers
Funnily enough, I posted about it on this very forum at the beginning on January:

http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26032

Nobody seemed very interested then, and in fact some were almost dismissive...

A

More
14 years 5 months ago #77536 by Lost Triceratops

Are you Happy?...
Yes????
Well notify your fecking face ya miserable lookin sod!

“Add life to your days, not days to your life.”

"Live life as if every day is your last, one day you will be right".

More
14 years 5 months ago #77539 by organicltd
This is an easier look at the apple air.... http://www.apple.com/macbookair/#ad

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 5 months ago #77542 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by organicltd

This is an easier look at the apple air.... www.apple.com/macbookair/#ad

Yeah -- sweet if you've got a spare $2999 lying around...

quote:Apple's MacBook Air goes on sale in New Zealand with a price-tag of $2999.
Apple's standard MacBook models are priced from $1848.

More
14 years 5 months ago #77559 by organicltd
Well as the saying goes, " the best aint cheap"

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 5 months ago #77780 by GloPony
They did a review of the EEE on Breakfast TV before Christmas. They had lots of good things to say about it especially considering the price.

More
14 years 2 months ago #183005 by GrantK
Word is out today that there is a version with Windows XP pre-installed coming out at the end of March:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7688

Now Asus are really talking :cool:

$100 extra for the convenience of having Windows XP ready to work straight out of the box is an absolute bargain. As a computer assembler with access to XP Home OEM copies, I can't even buy the CD for that price, let alone install it ready to go.

Brilliant news :D

I am sure Ame will disagree, but for the rest of us, it's what we need to start using the EEE PC from day one [^]

More
14 years 2 months ago #183120 by wyseyes
Well, I have just given one back. A customer got one last year in Oz, and gave it to me to configure for him. Standard linux install, but a very easy windows-like user interface. Set it up for him the best I could, took it to him today.

Great little computer - very light, easy to see (you'll need your glasses on), easy to navagate and use the web, and various other programs. Fabulous for Skype and talking to the world (has built in web-cam, microphone and speakers). The computer took 18 seconds to start up. Less to shut down. And there are no moving parts so very silent.

Not-so-great - very small keyboard, even smaller than the standard laptop keyboard, the keys are too narrow for my non-delicate figlers. The trackpad is good, but only has one button (reminds me of the old macs).
There seems there is a inherent problem with the wireless networking onboard, it wouldn't work with half the wireless networks I tried. Went exploring the Eee forums, seems the problem is worldwide, everyone is waiting for Asus to solve the problem.

I looked into converting it to windows for him, that would have been a headache (it has no CD drive), and involved multiple memory cards, USB Flash drives, other computers, a WindowsXP disk, and an Installer trimming program.
The windows version offered above would solve it all.

I believe if you do most of your stuff online, use webmail, can upload pics to photobucket-like sites, have external storage etc, this is a fine machine. But you have to know how to do all that.

In my experiences in dealing with every type of computer users (from the gurus like Grant and AME and Kate, to those who need a roadmap and GPS to find the spacebar), this would suit the abilities of the medium to high end user. I rather enjoyed it, but I understand there are more/better versions on the way (slightly larger screen in same case, larger memory, larger storage etc). Also in black or white.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 2 months ago #183129 by kate
I bought one of the pre-XP loaded ones from DS today :D It starts up quickly and although the keyboard is a little 'cluncky' it's a great little machine and the keyboard is useable...

Web Goddess

More
14 years 2 months ago #183130 by wyseyes
Yeah, well you'd have less bloke-like fingers.

More
14 years 2 months ago #183137 by kate

wyseyes;154986 wrote: Yeah, well you'd have less bloke-like fingers.

I think that does make a difference... I was surprised to find in the box a 4GB SD card as I didn't know they came with one [8D]

It's still charging so haven't had a good play with it yet...

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds