more help after virus attack ......

More
12 years 6 months ago #28061 by witheze
The aftermath of a virus attack is that my Avast is not letting me send pictorial stuff and comes up with popup that says please disable SSL/TLS mail client and there is a cross thru windows messenger along the bottom right.....what do I go into to fix this? TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #384660 by Stikkibeek
Sounds like you have something turned off that should be enabled

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 6 months ago #384696 by wyseyes
It could also be that Avast is seeing lots of attempts at sending out bad emails, and is blocking some gremlin mail program, are you sure that your system is now clean?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
12 years 6 months ago #384766 by lydiar
I have found this advice on t'internet and it matches the setup I currently have for Avast:

Open Avast, click on Real Time Shields, click on Mail Shield, click on Expert Settings, click on SSL Accounts, here is the place for you to put the host name of your email so that Avast can allow it to load.

Hope that helps. Lydia

p.s Just thought - this advice might not be the full story depending on the email system you are using...

More
12 years 6 months ago #384908 by witheze
thanks Lydia, found that ...how did I miss it. Still haven't been able to disable SSL/Tls mail client.. what is TLS and is Inlook Outlook my mail client. I have two hosts? for Farmside and two for Yahoo and a blank line......will try to figure it later...is saying windows messenger not signed in at bottom right....[B)][:I] how do I sign in?

More
12 years 6 months ago #384935 by lydiar
Signing into messenger should be a case of double clicking the little fella in the bottom right (with a red cross if you're not logged in) and entering your username/password. If you have issues with this it could be that Avast has you on somekind of 'lockdown' there too.

Outlook is an email client (I use Mozzilla Thunderbird).

In the SSL Accounts setup in Avast, if you click on the ? there is useful help info. The idea is you need to disable the ssl in Outlook (or other email client) so that Avast can scan emails as they are sent. Then in this page (SSL Acounts) you can set the encryption that Avast will add as it is sent on if you wish.
The warning you are seeing is because the ssl is set in Outlook so avast can't scan, and you probably have the option checked at the bottom of the screen (Automatically detect and warn about unprotected SSL connections). If you uncheck this, the message will dissappear, but the emails will still be unscanned.

TLS is a variation of encryption - the full story here: computer.howstuffworks.com/encryption4.htm

More
12 years 6 months ago #384949 by witheze
Gulp......many thanks......

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds