Cost of Canty Earthquake

More
10 years 10 months ago #28059 by Simkin
This is from the EQC newsletter we received today:

'Did you know?
  • The Canterbury earthquake events combined are the most expensive insurance event in New Zealand's history
  • Treasury estimates put the damage at around $15 billion damage or about 8% of GDP. To put this in context, the March 2011 earthquake off the north-east coast of Japan is estimated to have caused damage equivalent to around 3% to 5% of Japan's GDP.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384598 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cost of Canty Earthquake
Yeah, I saw that today... sigh. We FINALLY have had EQC out here to assess SEPTEMBER quake damage, and in the meantime the house piles have shifted (initial problem) with each big shake so that the floors now bounce. Inspector tried to tell me that was 'normal' in an older house, but funny that the house didn't bounce before the quakes... They are only giving us $1500 to cover what our builder has estimated will take about $4000 to fix... I think they made a real mistake handing out $$ right and left at the beginning. Our builder (also a friend of ours) was given $3000 just for patching cracks and painting! Our piles have shifted and we get $1500. Well, will make the best of it, it's all we can do, at least we have a house and land that are relatively OK, and we're all safe and sound (mostly).

More
10 years 10 months ago #384600 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Cost of Canty Earthquake
Well, Andrea, I know people who have been given $6000 and $8000 respectively and I have seen the damage to their homes - very very minor cracks between ceiling and walls in houses that haven't seen any fresh wallpaper for 20+ years. They now have a freshly painted house (inside) - the old wallpaper has been stripped, walls newly plastered and painted. The February quake caused new cracks in old positions and they can't understand why they haven't been paid again yet. I tell them we haven't seen a single cent yet, not for September or February or June.

In regard to your problem: Ring EQC and explain the situation. I know someone else who had an assessment because one of their piles has moved (they live on a hill). The assessor said the damage is old as there is dust in the cracks. She said that it's been 9 months so what does he expect. But the damage got worse on June 21 with 5cm gaps between walls and windows. They couldn't agree. So she rang EQC and talked to someone there who sent out a builder and 2 days later Fletcher turned up to start emergency repairs! No cosmetics like plastering and painting but the pile has been moved up, re-concreted, windows re-aligned so that their home is weather proof.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384607 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Cost of Canty Earthquake
Andrea as Simkin said ring EQC back, do not settle for the answer given if you know it's wrong. Did the assessor actually crawl under your house for a proper look? I had that problem with my first assessment, but Fletchers who came out last Monday had a quick look and will 'pencil in' foundation repairs until they can get someone back for a thorough inspection. My attitude is I dont want 'extras' but I am determined I will have my house repaired properly, as I am entitled to with my insurance.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384947 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Cost of Canty Earthquake
yup, waiting for our foundations to be fixed from September. Finally got a temporary repair done 2 weeks before the June quake to stop the house literally lifting up in the wind, but it was only for half the house, the other half was still a trampoline. You guessed it the temporary repair did not hold so we are back to square 1.
EQR also sent the wrong company out to look at something else and because there was no damage that they could repair (I could have told them that if they had rung before visiting) we now have a bill over $700 from them ---- grrrrr

More
10 years 10 months ago #384982 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Cost of Canty Earthquake

Andrea;378150 wrote: Yeah, I saw that today... sigh. We FINALLY have had EQC out here to assess SEPTEMBER quake damage, and in the meantime the house piles have shifted (initial problem) with each big shake so that the floors now bounce. Inspector tried to tell me that was 'normal' in an older house, but funny that the house didn't bounce before the quakes... They are only giving us $1500 to cover what our builder has estimated will take about $4000 to fix... I think they made a real mistake handing out $$ right and left at the beginning. Our builder (also a friend of ours) was given $3000 just for patching cracks and painting! Our piles have shifted and we get $1500. Well, will make the best of it, it's all we can do, at least we have a house and land that are relatively OK, and we're all safe and sound (mostly).

Very interesting...Andrea, my mum lives in a house thats about 120 years old. She to has floors that bounce now and was told the exact same thing as you! They definitely did not move before the quakes. She has just last night had a log burner installed in her lounge, and she is due to get a heat pump in her bedroom...(which is a shame because it's hardly in keeping)

My house in Shirley was assessed by EQC as being medium damage so not fully assessed. My insurance company assessed it as having $200k of damage. My tenants have since moved out...I have a $224k mortgage and only 6mths of loss of rent cover which will be run out before its even properly quoted for repair.

These earthquakes have caused so many issues, for so many people...and Andrea, it's all about who "actually" assesses it...maybe you could argue the point?

Its a yuck situation all round [xx(]

More
10 years 10 months ago #384984 by highgirl

Andrea;378150 wrote: Yeah, I saw that today... sigh. We FINALLY have had EQC out here to assess SEPTEMBER quake damage, and in the meantime the house piles have shifted (initial problem) with each big shake so that the floors now bounce. Inspector tried to tell me that was 'normal' in an older house, but funny that the house didn't bounce before the quakes... They are only giving us $1500 to cover what our builder has estimated will take about $4000 to fix... I think they made a real mistake handing out $$ right and left at the beginning. Our builder (also a friend of ours) was given $3000 just for patching cracks and painting! Our piles have shifted and we get $1500. Well, will make the best of it, it's all we can do, at least we have a house and land that are relatively OK, and we're all safe and sound (mostly).

Sorry, just read the rest of you post and you are so true...friends of mine got a whole house repaint and repair in Rangiora from the Sept earthquake...go figure...it's a brand new house a wee way out from the most damaged areas!

More
10 years 10 months ago #384986 by highgirl

Simkin;378152 wrote: Well, Andrea, I know people who have been given $6000 and $8000 respectively and I have seen the damage to their homes - very very minor cracks between ceiling and walls in houses that haven't seen any fresh wallpaper for 20+ years. They now have a freshly painted house (inside) - the old wallpaper has been stripped, walls newly plastered and painted. The February quake caused new cracks in old positions and they can't understand why they haven't been paid again yet. I tell them we haven't seen a single cent yet, not for September or February or June.

In regard to your problem: Ring EQC and explain the situation. I know someone else who had an assessment because one of their piles has moved (they live on a hill). The assessor said the damage is old as there is dust in the cracks. She said that it's been 9 months so what does he expect. But the damage got worse on June 21 with 5cm gaps between walls and windows. They couldn't agree. So she rang EQC and talked to someone there who sent out a builder and 2 days later Fletcher turned up to start emergency repairs! No cosmetics like plastering and painting but the pile has been moved up, re-concreted, windows re-aligned so that their home is weather proof.

Definitely its about who you talk to...as someone said in the speaking to you MP thread...squeaky wheels and all that. [;)] Maybe I have too much to say now...I'm on my little soap box :D Please don't kick it out from under me

More
10 years 10 months ago #384988 by highgirl

kai;378545 wrote: yup, waiting for our foundations to be fixed from September. Finally got a temporary repair done 2 weeks before the June quake to stop the house literally lifting up in the wind, but it was only for half the house, the other half was still a trampoline. You guessed it the temporary repair did not hold so we are back to square 1.
EQR also sent the wrong company out to look at something else and because there was no damage that they could repair (I could have told them that if they had rung before visiting) we now have a bill over $700 from them ---- grrrrr

What!!! I hope you aren't actually paying it???? I'd be forwarding it straight on...quick...maybe someone should kick my soap box away [;)]:p

More
10 years 10 months ago #384995 by kai
nope, already forwarded it on. I don't want the company in question to lose out as they obviously turned up in good faith.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384996 by kai

highgirl;378582 wrote: Sorry, just read the rest of you post and you are so true...friends of mine got a whole house repaint and repair in Rangiora from the Sept earthquake...go figure...it's a brand new house a wee way out from the most damaged areas!

ooh that makes me mad - they got redecoration and we cant get the house leveled horizontal or the garage moved back into position or water tight!!!! and dont get me started on the roof damage....

grrrrr!

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds