does writing to your MP work?

More
10 years 11 months ago #28051 by kai
just wondering if anyone has any positive stories about doing this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #384479 by sod
Replied by sod on topic does writing to your MP work?
No, not even going to see our one years ago only found out he lived on another planet not real world :(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #384480 by kate
Replied by kate on topic does writing to your MP work?
No...

Web Goddess

More
10 years 11 months ago #384484 by Organix
400 of us turning up on motorbikes to 'visit' our MP got his attention [:0] ACC levy hike was reduced as a result, or maybe that was due to 7,000 greeting Nix Myth's speech on parliament's steps with a rousing reply of BULLSH*T

If you don't keep these MPs in their place they start thinking they run the country. Keep your boot on their throat [}:)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 11 months ago #384485 by Lindeggs
I think it can work - depending on the issue and depending on whether you are on the same side of it as your MP! I know people who have told their story to an MP then had their case used as an example when that MP was making a speech in Parliament. Didn't solve the problem but made them feel like they had been listened to!

Of course it also depends what you're trying to achieve by writing to them. Obviously they can't change the law all by themselves. But if you're asking for advice or guidance they might be able to put you in touch with someone who can help, or write a letter on your behalf, or something like that.

And remember you have access to more than one MP. There is the MP who represents your electorate, but you might also have local list MPs who might be more interested and/or responsive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 11 months ago #384486 by kai
Replied by kai on topic does writing to your MP work?
trying to do something within the law, having a lot of irrational objections to the plan from the council (could be considered malicious objections) have met all their demands, but still cant get an OK from them. dont want to say more at the moment

More
10 years 11 months ago #384487 by Lindeggs

Organix;378024 wrote: 400 of us turning up on motorbikes to 'visit' our MP got his attention [:0] ACC levy hike was reduced as a result, or maybe that was due to 7,000 greeting Nix Myth's speech on parliament's steps with a rousing reply of BULLSH*T

If you don't keep these MPs in their place they start thinking they run the country. Keep your boot on their throat [}:)]

I was there, Organix! What an amazing atmosphere on the steps of parliament. :D

I've also been involved in some of the Auckland ACC activities. Before Christmas we delivered oranges to the "good" MPs and coal to the "naughty" ones. :rolleyes:

Those activities are an example of Labour and the Greens definitely engaging with the issue and two-way communication where we gave them ammunition so they could fight on our behalf. Obviously the National MPs were less open to the message and spent their time trying to avoid us! :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 11 months ago #384489 by hilldweller

kai;378026 wrote: trying to do something within the law, having a lot of irrational objections to the plan from the council (could be considered malicious objections) have met all their demands, but still cant get an OK from them. dont want to say more at the moment

That one might not be successful - depends what the issue is, how widespread it is and whether the govt has any authority over the matter. If it's a council matter, central govt can't just go in over the top of them unless there's specific legislative provision for it. If that's the case you might be better off with the mayor and your local councillor than your MP.

hilldweller

More
10 years 11 months ago #384502 by Stikkibeek
And if your sitting MP can't or won't help, try going to an opposition one.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #384519 by powerguy
In general no. MP's are like bureaucrats in that they want to do as little as possible but they ahve to do something because they need to get re-elected!

You will in all likelyhood get a nice letter from either the electorate secretary (if they are not list) or their parliamentary secretary full of fluffy words that leaves you no-where, but rest assured that if you are successful in some way in sorting out your own problems the MP will be quick to take credit for it!

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
10 years 11 months ago #384521 by Simkin
It has worked for us and it wasn't even the MP for our electorate. It was Jim Anderton who's secretary listened, told us to write it all up in a letter which we did, passed the letter on to him and then we got a phone call from one of his other MPs in Wellington with VERY good advice that helped us achieve what we wanted to achieve.

Have to add - wanted to get an appointment with our sitting MP (now earthquake recovery minister) and were told by his staff that he is very busy (that was years ago) and that he won't be able to help anyway.

So yes, Kai - give it a try. MPs can't move mountains but some have access to information that may help you.

More
10 years 11 months ago #384536 by Seaside
You will usually get a reply at least. Whether it's something they are able to make happen is something else. My friend got some help from our local MP (Minister of Labour, Food Safety and Conservation), however it was outside of her portfolio (Internal Affairs). In the end, my friend solved her problem herself with the help of someone (moi) who was able to express what she wanted to say to the actual decision makers.

It really depends on the issue and on the MP. But it can't hurt to ask, surely?

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 11 months ago #384580 by rob
Replied by rob on topic does writing to your MP work?
no, i email my one, not a whisper and i voted for the man.

now we are just waiting on our AUCKLAND rates bill, I bet its going to hurt big time, bet I get in touch with him over that, soon see

Rob

More
10 years 11 months ago #384596 by Stikkibeek

rob;378127 wrote: now we are just waiting on our AUCKLAND rates bill, I bet its going to hurt big time, bet I get in touch with him over that, soon see

I hear you loud an clear on that one Rob. Waiting with bated breath for ours too. We will be one of the people who get a new GV since ours was almost due, so I am so hoping that GV has gone down given the housing market did, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, cause a hungry ACC will be wanting to screw as much out of us as it can. The only bright possibility I see will be the wheelie bin recycling. I do see that as positive, since I will no longer need to put out paper and tins/plastic separately any more, but, I'm sure we will have to pay for the privilege!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #384597 by BRL
Replied by BRL on topic does writing to your MP work?
Might work if you write big, in crayon, use small words, wrap the note around a brick ... and throw it at the MP concerned.

Do I sound disillusioned?

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds