Second hand bookshops in Chch?

• Andrea
12 years 8 months ago #28010 by Andrea
Second hand bookshops in Chch? was created by Andrea
DD, for her 15th birthday this week wants to take her 2 best friends book shopping!!! [:0] I don't know what's open in Chch and what's not anymore. Are there any that are sort in the same area of town, so we wouldn't be driving around too much? They are all avid readers, love book shops and it was their idea! Will be taking them for lunch as well, so a fun recommendation for that would also be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384061 by Simkin
Hornby has at least one good one - where Pizza Hut is. Most of the second hand shops were in the central city or Sydenham so are gone.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384105 by Stikkibeek
There was a good one on Riccarton road on the Hagley park end. I do not know how it fared in the EQ however.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 8 months ago #384139 by Andrea1
That one is definitely gone, sadly. There used to be some great ones in the CBD. It'd be a shame if they lost all their stock, but they probably have, along with many other businesses in there...

More
12 years 8 months ago #384155 by Simkin

Andrea;377641 wrote: That one is definitely gone, sadly. There used to be some great ones in the CBD. It'd be a shame if they lost all their stock, but they probably have, along with many other businesses in there...

Yes, they have lost their stock. The diggers just went in, scooping it all up. I know two shop-owners (not books, though), who were told to come to their premises then and then. They thought they will be allowed to take stuff out but all that happened was the digger taking everything down in front of their eyes.[}:)]

More
12 years 8 months ago #384157 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Second hand bookshops in Chch?
The one at the top of Lincoln road is still open. Also are the Salvation army stores no doubt got donated a huge load after the quake - the one in Lincoln Road is also still standing

More
12 years 8 months ago #384271 by Andrea1
I found a couple in the same area of town to go to, the Lincoln Road one and there's one near the Pizza Hut on Main South Road in Hornby, apparently, which is right near my DD's favourite cafe, so we're good to go, thanks!

More
12 years 8 months ago #384377 by kai
the one I used to know in hornby near the newly revamped tower building (the one with coloured panels) seems to have been taken over by something else. I was passed there yesterday and could not see it.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384393 by Andrea1
Hornby Books is in the little strip mall just past the clock tower, as you're headed out of town. It was great! DD had spent $80 on just 3 books at the UC bookshop last week (birthday $$), and then spent the same again on 11 books between 2 used book shops. Those girls were in heaven yesterday!

More
12 years 8 months ago #384471 by kai
OK, must have missed it, could have sworn there was something else in its place

More
12 years 8 months ago #384861 by Phaedrus
There's also one in Edgeware as I discovered the other day. Seemed to have quite a lot of stock although what genre it was etc I couldn't say (I wasn't in there for the books!).

P.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds