My Avast won't run.....

More
10 years 11 months ago #27965 by witheze
I had a reinstall episode yesterday after clicking on to a scan test when I did the speed test on the Farmside thread....which stuffed computer up Kiwi_jon helped me fix desktop but now I have this other problem ... now avast antivirus wont run and I'm unsecured....I have tried to fix it by clicking fix now but nothing happens and have tried restarting thru startup eng....nothing Do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Help please.....I'm not a geek..[:I]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383672 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic My Avast won't run.....
You could try going to the Avast web site and downloading the newest version. Mine did an upgrade to the new one a couple of days ago so worth a shot as the download wont take long. Maybe try uninstalling it through the control panel "add and remove programs" first then start fresh.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383687 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic My Avast won't run.....
Witheze,

As PalmyCol has said, re-install Avast. Also as I mentioned yesterday download, install and do a full scan with malwarebytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

More
10 years 11 months ago #383692 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic My Avast won't run.....
But theres warnings about Malware and picking up another virus thru that.......I'm scared to do anything......Will un and re install Avast first. If I google MalwareBYTES I should be okay?

More
10 years 11 months ago #383697 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic My Avast won't run.....

witheze;377142 wrote: But theres warnings about Malware and picking up another virus thru that.......I'm scared to do anything......Will un and re install Avast first. If I google MalwareBYTES I should be okay?

I have given you the link to MalwareBytes in my post. Go directly to that and click the Download Now button. It will take to a CNET download page and click the green Download Now(9.03MB).

More
10 years 11 months ago #383712 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic My Avast won't run.....
Just go with what kiwi_jon said witheze. You are not going to get nasties from a correct (as described) download of Malwarebytes. I use it all the time. Awesome program.

Kiwi_jon please feel free to correct me but when I have advised friends to download things and they come back saying "didn't work" I then remember to ask them where they downloaded them from and I can't even get why they don't go to the homepage of the program supplier so maybe - is there a rule that you could (with Kate's ok) make into a sticky re computer advise generally - i.e. where to download programmes from? I have never heard of "nasties" picked up from Malwarebytes so this the question.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383722 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic My Avast won't run.....
Well its all fixed.......Finally got Avast running again......it told me it had closed me down because of an attack, closed itself down too.

And the reason I was attacked was because I decided to run the "scan for defects" which is invitingly attached to the speedtest which appears earlier in this thread..... :( I wont do any offers of that sort again......thanks Kiwi_Jon.....

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds