Michigan Women Going To Court For Vege Growing

More
10 years 11 months ago #27869 by Organix
This story probably has more to it than presented here (note 2 unlicenced dogs on the offence notice) but when a council is threatening to prosecute a resident for establishing raised vege beds in her front yard, including the statement that "suitable means common", the food nazi radar is aroused :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382615 by sod
Hope that don't happen here but as some places you arn't allowed a clothes line who knows. Asfor "Siitable means common" that sounds crazy as. So it's ok to spend money and mow lawn but not to save money and grow food ??????????

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #382620 by Stikkibeek
Hope she can find a founding document that gives property owners customary rights to grow vegetables in their yards, no matter whether it is in the front of the back yard. I would have thought that most people grow their gardens in the back yard to minimise the risk of getting their vegetables nicked from opportunistic passers-by, rather than any aesthetic concerns. I have seen a beautiful vege garden in a local property, in the front yard here, and admired the effort the owner put into it.

As for city ordinances prohibiting clothes lines, that's just crazy and high time Nzders stood up to this sort of nonsense. I don't often advocate civil disobedience, but well.....it's nonsense

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #382624 by Organix

Stikkibeek;375956 wrote: .....
As for city ordinances prohibiting clothes lines, that's just crazy and high time Nzders stood up to this sort of nonsense. I don't often advocate civil disobedience, but well.....it's nonsense

In NZ prohibition of outdoor clothes lines is usually by way of a legal caveat on the property's certificate of title. Land developers use this as a way of maintaining the 'standard' of (usually) upmarket subdivisions so that a high value of property is ensured. Other common such caveats include no relocated houses, stipulations on dwellings cladding materials and restrictions on tree varieties that can be planted.

Council requirements are usually more along the lines of front and side yard building line restrictions and vehicle crossing location (at kerbside).

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 11 months ago #382627 by kai
There might be unlicenced dogs on the premises, but that is irrelevant to not being allowed to grow vegetables on your front garden. (a bit like saying a person has a parking ticket so should be found guilty of all other crimes automatically).
I welcome the fact that she is asking for a jury trial. It seems crazy that people who let their front gardens go to rack and ruin, dump rubbish on it get away with it, but people who try and make use of the space are getting prosecuted.
Looking up suitable dictionary.reference.com/browse/suitable gives a very differnent definition - befitting. I think a well kept veggie garden is befitting personally.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382640 by shad297
Suddenly had a vision of Tom and Barbara from 'The Good Life' 70s TV series whereby their whole front section was planted out in edibles!!!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382655 by Stikkibeek

Organix;375960 wrote: In NZ prohibition of outdoor clothes lines is usually by way of a legal caveat on the property's certificate of title. Land developers use this as a way of maintaining the 'standard' of (usually) upmarket subdivisions so that a high value of property is ensured. Other common such caveats include no relocated houses, stipulations on dwellings cladding materials and restrictions on tree varieties that can be planted.

Oh yes, I have seen the work of councils and nosy neighbours infringing a property owners right to put a relocatable on a 1½ acre lifestyle section. All objected when the owner bought an unwanted Air cadets barrack and plonked it on pellets on the section. Held up their plans for months and months while they had to rent somewhere else instead of moving into their dream home. Joke of it all was, when finally they had defeated all the objections and got the green light, their careful rebuild and landscaping made the home the best place in the street and made all the other poncey dwellings look like neglected homes from the far north, by comparison. They didn't like any of their neighbours after all the bitter wrangling and decided to sell up, making an absolute killing on the sale of the place cause it was so nice. They were sad to leave it behind though and start again somewhere else.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #382721 by igor
I have always found that the more money a person has, or thinks they have, the harder they are to live next door to. This can also apply where the neighbouring property is a rental. Sometimes the tenants are great to live next door to but the owner is a prick.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382809 by Cinsara
My sister lived in a street in Paraparaumu where the caveat stated you weren't allowed to have anything in your front yard, no gnomes, no garden statues/planters, no fences, no clothes line, no homeowner vehicles parked permanently in the driveway (they had to be garaged) etc. The lawns and gardens had to be maintained but you weren't allowed to leave the hose lying around, and there was to be nothing that detracted from the tidy look of the street. From half of the house back they could have what they liked as long as it wasn't visable from the front (6' fences etc). It apprears it's not "only in America" :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382854 by DiDi
Personally, being out of step with you all - I think it looks positively ugly. I suspect that it is all the raised wooden "structures" that people are objecting too rather than the fact that it is a number of vegetable plots.

I also had a laugh when I saw it as I too wondered how much would be there in the morning if they lived in NZ in a number of urban areas.

I personally feel that you should attempt to fit in with your neighbours when on urban plots and not pee them off. I know that I have only been here a short time but already I have people only too willing to come in and feed my cat and fish when I go away. Perhaps I just like to be liked and don't cause storms when they aren't necessary. Just a thought!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382856 by sod
Cinsara I know the one would love to live there and upset them all.

DiDi I love it in Otaki there used to be a loverly old Chinese lady that grew spring onions in her front "lawn" all the time and made a living great stuff.

As for it all going missing there is a town that plants coloured silver beet in traffic islands, they stay :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #382861 by DiDi
As for it all going missing there is a town that plants coloured silver beet in traffic islands, they stay :D[/quote]
Perhaps they don't like the idea of eating:
Carbon monoxide
Nitrogen dioxide
Sulphur dioxide
Benzene
Formaldehyde
Polycyclic hydrocarbons
Lead
Tiny suspended particles (‘particulate matter’)

Now there is another reason NOT to grow vegies in your front yard! [xx(] :D

More
10 years 11 months ago #382866 by GloPony
I know of a community vege garden right in the middle of Henderson, West Auckland where nothing is ever touched. It seems thieves don't like veges. :p

More
10 years 11 months ago #382883 by MooandPop
I've always thought that if someone pinches veges to feed themselves or their family then they probably need them more than I do. Better to steal veges than to shoplift chips and two minute noodles!

I'm probably too much of a pacifist.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382891 by kaybe

MooandPop;376244 wrote: I've always thought that if someone pinches veges to feed themselves or their family then they probably need them more than I do. Better to steal veges than to shoplift chips and two minute noodles!

I'm probably too much of a pacifist.

Hear hear!

You can never be too much of a pacifist.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds