Google Chrome?

More
12 years 9 months ago #27851 by Doug
Google Chrome? was created by Doug
I use Windows 7 Home Premium and Internet Explorer. I have ADSL broadband. I use Google as my browser. I keep getting messages suggesting that I update Google to Google Chrome. Apparently the Chrome one makes faster browsing and has a lot of other "favourable functions."
I have also been told that Google Chrome brings with it a lot of advertising.
All I really want is a very simple system which I thought that I had with Google.
Should I have a go with this Google Chrome and if I do and don't like it, is it hard for a basic computer person like me to go back to the old Google, please?
Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #382330 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Google Chrome?
All I can say Doug is that I have resisted this move for a very long time based on doing a Google search (funny that!) and it has never been strongly advocated as a step forward from original Google BUT - I too would be interested in others opinions on this.

One thing I have noticed is that Google is a total waste of space as far as searching is concened (especially when setting NZ as the option) but am not sure whether we just have no info on NZ sites or USA Google is not caring. Anyone?

More
12 years 9 months ago #382493 by Waffling Milk Maid
Replied by Waffling Milk Maid on topic Google Chrome?
I use google chrome, there's no advertising anywhere, it's just a basic browser window... Tabs along the top, address bar and bookmarks bar; that's all I have.

Like with any browser you can put 'add ons' and customise it too, but I haven't bothered. I chose a default colour scheme I liked, and haven't touched the settings since...

I haven't tried google as a browser though, so no idea what it's like in comparison (previous used firefox)

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

More
12 years 9 months ago #382521 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Google Chrome?
Hi DiDi and Waffling Milk Maid.

Well I have downloaded and installed Google Chrome thank you W.M.M. No advertisements and indeed much faster than Google or I/E. It is indeed very simple. At this time I haven't worked out if I can do a check just on New Zealand sites, but I am like you DiDi and initially I could with plain Google but that facility just ceased some time ago, so no loss there.
Thank you both for your replies.

More
12 years 9 months ago #382562 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Google Chrome?
we use chrome - not sure why, hubby is the IT guy here I just go with the flow. As far as I can tell it is just another browser, the search engine Google is something else and with it (or any of the search engine quite possibly) if you want country specific search type "site:nz" at the end of your search ie searching goats in new zealand type "goats site:nz" this will only bring up websites ending in .nz
hope that helps

More
12 years 9 months ago #382672 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Hi Check the internet and you will find Firefox is rated as the best ,and google chrome is second
Cheers Kevin

More
12 years 9 months ago #382739 by lydiar
Replied by lydiar on topic Google Chrome?
If you're bothered by adverts you can download and install Adblock Plus to work with whichever browser you prefer.

By removing (almost) all adverts this reduces your internet usage as you aren't downloading images and video etc that you don't want to see.

I prefer to use Firefox as my browser as it is pretty robust.

I agree with DiDi that google searching for NZ content is hopeless.. they did some update to the google searching about a year ago and it's really frustrating to target searches since then. I listened to an interesting radio programme the other day saying that the way Google targets search results based on a user's previous searches and other people's clicks, has meant that the results are now narrower.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds