Just a moan over the weather...

• Andrea
10 years 11 months ago #27841 by Andrea
Just a moan over the weather... was created by Andrea
I know we've had a mild winter so far, so I shouldn't complain, but it's also made a thriving environment for worms and foot scald fungus! I have been sick a lot this winter, so I haven't been able to enjoy the sunny days, and today, when I start feeling a bit more energy, it's pissing with rain, a cold southerly blast, hopefully just passing through! Roll on spring!!! (And kidding season!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382175 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Just a moan over the weather...
I heartily endorse those sentiments-mud and slush everywhere.;-(

It's so depressing to see paddocks turned to a sea of mud in no time. I feel mean keeping most of the stock behind tape and rationing the grass, but can't bear to see it trampled and wasted. At least there is always the fresh grass and baleage tomorrow to look forward to, though I doubt if they appreciate it when they are standing around in water having eaten the days rations!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382197 by PalmyCol
Geez ya not wrong, even my sheep are turning my paddocks to a quagmire. Bring back the wind to dry it out [:0]
Too much to hope for sun to dry everything out :rolleyes:

More
10 years 11 months ago #382207 by DiDi
Farming aside (with sympathy) when you are well again, go to the chemist and buy Buccaline Berna. I absolutely swear by it as even if you do get whatever bug is going around, you will get the mildest version of it. I have been taking it twice yearly for at least eight years (for Winter and Summer cold preventative) and already I am surrounded with people with dripping colds/flus and nothing for me. Best product on the market!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382212 by Andrea1
Thanks, Didi -- I will certainly try it. I have had 5 colds in 5 months, but I also just found out yesterday that I am severely anaemic, and it has been wreaking havoc with my immune system. have iron pills from yesterday, and my GP says it will take about 2 weeks to really kick in. In the meantime, I'm just going to lay low and try and stay out of the germies way! I rarely get more than a couple of colds a year, haven't had flu in 19 years, do get gastric bugs now and again, but this has been just ridiculous, hence my trip to the doctor whereupon she ordered up lots of blood tests. Only thing wrong is the iron.

I'm sure ski season is just around the corner now, as it has been pouring here for hours, it's very cold, so the Alps will be all covered by morning.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382224 by Hintzashouse

Andrea;375468 wrote: I know we've had a mild winter so far, so I shouldn't complain, but it's also made a thriving environment for worms and foot scald fungus!

Picked up a chook today to check its tummy as it was fluffing its feathers, and appears to have a new crop of lice, just little ones. Would have thought with the weather that I could slacken off the de lousing but it would appear not :( :(

More
10 years 11 months ago #382299 by stephclark
i too am disheartened at watching the lovely grass turn to plowed mud and slush.. i know it will pass... but it is a bit depressing that my lovely lawn and gardens are water logged.. the chookies enclosure is mud mud mud ( and i moved them only last weekend )..
everywhere there are muddy slippery tracks from house to barn to chooks to horses etc.. ya try not to walk the same path all the time, but only end up making another muddy track, the driveway is all but impassable and even the ducks are looking for higher ground...sigh..
and i have had a head cold since june..gggr..its all abit trying i must say..

More
10 years 11 months ago #382311 by Andrea1
We had 30mm come down in about 2 hours, and this morning, with a thin covering of ice, it quite harrowing getting around in some areas.

You have my sympathies, stephclark!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382314 by Lindeggs
Andrea, I know this sounds obvious, but have you considered taking Vitamin C? It both boosts your immune system AND helps you absorb iron. Check the iron tabs from your Dr and see if she might have already included Vit C as well. If not, try taking 1000mg/day for a while and see if it helps.

My partner used to be anaemic and he has improved markedly since he started taking Vit C regularly.

It won't do any harm (except possibly a mild laxative effect) and it might just do some good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 11 months ago #382349 by Andrea1
Thanks, Lindeggs, for the reminder. I did know that, but it seems when it comes to looking after myself, I am not the most diligent. I'm having a hard enough time with the iron pills (which do not have C added), but we do have C in the house, so I will put it next to my pill box and remember that way. That laxative will hopefully counter the opposite side-effect (at least the pharmacist said they could cause constipation as one of the most common side effects).

Cheers!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382356 by spoook
If you do take vit C, take little and often. Our bodies do not store alot of vit C, as we can see when we pee [;)], so dose little and often to help the iron absorb.

BTW, me too sick to death of the mud and slush........ really is an act to get to feed the ducks and chooks etc each day. Oh that we could take a different path each day...... we have run out of choices :(

Thank goodness the path to the goat shed is along the driveway, with a few calls and claps, they come running :D Best training we ever did.
Trot into the shed, quick splash through the footbath, out for a treat. All so easy...... most of the time [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 11 months ago #382362 by Simkin
Oh, and no calcium (this means milk products, too) within 6 hours either side of taking iron pills. Calcium counteracts the absorption of iron. When I had to take iron pills I took them just before going to bed with a fresh citrus fruit. Citrus does not only contain Vitamin C but also the lesser known vitamin P - which actually is the one that helps the absorption of Iron. It is difficult to manufacture vitamin P artificially as it is very unstable (I think that was the reason). With a fresh citrus fruit you also get the phytonutrients, bioflavenoids and enzymes that the artificial vitamin C tablets are so devoid of.

More
10 years 11 months ago #382388 by Ghilly
I'm fed up with the wind and rain and mud. The wind has been just too bossy and cold to make being outside any fun at all.

Yakut

More
10 years 11 months ago #382393 by Andrea1
The iron pills I have say only 2 hours before and after for no milk products, so that's what I've been following. I can't do citrus or anything with lots of C at bedtime, or it keeps me up all night visiting the loo (it has a strong diuretic effect on me), so I have been taking the iron and c in the late morning, since I usually only have milk in the AM in my decaf coffee, and I've not been having a lot of cheese anyway. That's good to know about the vitamin P, Simkin, thanks!

More
10 years 11 months ago #382394 by Andrea1
It's really nasty and cold out today, and it was a sad day for us, as we have sold the first 2 Toggie girls we bred and hand-reared, 2 R6 AR does, lovely milkers, both in-kid to a stunning buck. We delivered them to their new home this morning, and they knew they were being left behind, and were not very happy. They will be pampered where they are, so I'm not worried about that, but it was time for them to move on, though I do wish we had space to keep them all... Wind was howling, so it was a bit of a slow ride down the road, as the trailer was dancing all over the place. Thank goodness no rain (though the trailer is covered). I always like to have one goat with hooves needing to be trimmed, so I can show people how to do it, so it was good to be able to do it without being rained on.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds