Buying a freeview decoder

More
10 years 11 months ago #27795 by Rod Brown
I think what I need is a terrestrial one not satelite (I have a UHF aerial) they seem to range from $150 plus. I have had a look online at a couple but all of the specifcations are meaningless to me, is there much difference between specs. or is it all a bit of bullshit to confuse the layman. Reading some feedback comments on these items from puchases half don't recommend them and the other half do to add to the confusion.

I don't want to buy one and then realise down the track it doesn't have certain features or I have paid for features I don't need.............thing is I don't know what is suitable without a salesman using his silver tongue.

Your personal unbiased experience is valued........thank you.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #381754 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Buying a freeview decoder
We bought a satellite one with hard disk recording function and it's changed how and what we watch completely: no more ads! After watching Fair Go the other night, I suspect it was illegal for the company to sell it to us, with its overseas wall plug.

More
10 years 11 months ago #381756 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Buying a freeview decoder
We started off with a terrestrial one that our uni student (step) son got us for Xmas but soon realised that Taranaki doesn't have this service available.

We've since upgraded to a satellite based box which we have connected to the Sky dish that the previous owner of the house left behind. (We don't bother with Sky as can't see the point in paying for movies we can get elsewhere and we aren't into sport.)

My point is to check on whether terrestrial signal is available in your area before you commit. Once you establish that use PriceSpy to compare prices :) We ended up with a "Strong" brand which has a USB socket so we can play movies and other content direct from an external hard drive. Can't comment about the recording TV content aspect as the adverts on the small amount of TV we watch are regarded as toilet/cuppa/check computer opportunities [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 11 months ago #381761 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Buying a freeview decoder

Organix;375008 wrote: ...Can't comment about the recording TV content aspect as the adverts on the small amount of TV we watch are regarded as toilet/cuppa/check computer opportunities [;)]

Now we can put a live programme on pause while we take as long as we want for the break, without missing the recommencement of the programme, because we can then skip through the ads from the pause point and watch the "live" programme a little behind its actual transmission. It's a pretty cool function!:)

More
10 years 11 months ago #381773 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Buying a freeview decoder
My location is recommended as UHF. I am not talking about the "recording" functions box I know those are around $800+. Initially I just want a freeview receiver and I'll still use my video recorder as I do now. Next year I'll buy a 42" or 50" inch with all of the extras but for now I just want the receiver. It means that when we all go digital I'll put my 29" ordinary TV in one of the spare bedrooms and it will still function.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
10 years 11 months ago #381780 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Buying a freeview decoder

Ruth;375014 wrote: Now we can put a live programme on pause while we take as long as we want for the break, without missing the recommencement of the programme, because we can then skip through the ads from the pause point and watch the "live" programme a little behind its actual transmission. It's a pretty cool function!:)

We don't watch enough TV to be bothered doing this and one of the channels (TV3 I think) has a hour delayed transmission if we miss something of interest. Incidentally Channel 7 has minimal advertising but unfortunately is due to cease transmission next year :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds