Book/Film Recommendations please - Injustice

More
11 years 1 month ago #380697 by Stikkibeek
KIwi is correct about interloan from bigger libraries. The suburban libraries ought to be able to borrow from National library as well on inter loan, which is a good way to source books published some time back.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #380709 by Simkin

Andrea;373848 wrote: By 'English', do you mean a themed writing assignment, or something specifically on a work of literature?

Just a 'themed writing assignment' to gain 3 credits he still needs. Not a big deal for most students:rolleyes:

More
11 years 1 month ago #380719 by Simkin

Stikkibeek;373850 wrote: KIwi is correct about interloan from bigger libraries. The suburban libraries ought to be able to borrow from National library as well on inter loan, which is a good way to source books published some time back.

I checked - since June 13 all suburban libraries are closed, too. Many suburban libraries house CCC staff and are not available for library business - since February 22nd. The few that are open are quite far away and only do basic services - otherwise they'd be overrun[:(!]

Ashburton would be the nearest fully functional library.

More
11 years 1 month ago #380720 by Andrea1
What about Rangiora, Oxford or Kaiapoi? They're all still open, as far as I know, as is Darfield. I know they aren't big systems, but they are still functioning.

My DS has struck similar problems at the university: the students don't know if a book is available or not until they go and request it (there's no more looking for books on ones own for now), and then find out if its accessible or even available. A lot of books ended up ruined by water that flooded the lower floor of the library. So the lecturer for the one class has said that the students needed to learn to use the internet for proper research (and there is a knack to it!). Does your son have that option under the circumstances? There are a lot of really good university websites that are a great resource, as well as a lot of international journalism on the net...

More
11 years 1 month ago #380724 by Simkin
Thank you - Andrea. Once we know where we start we hope there will be ways...

More
11 years 1 month ago #380788 by Rothwell
The best book on injustice is James Belich's "New Zealand History", but it does have a bit about Maori in it ..... It should be compulsory reading for every NZer.

More
11 years 1 month ago #380791 by Seaside
What about older historical injustices involving gore - I know my son is fascinated by Horrible Histories. Suspected witches getting thrown into lakes: sink and drown and they aren't a witch, float and survive they are burnt at the stake.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 1 month ago #380806 by BHGS
I don't know if this is the right age range - but any of the John Marsden -"Tomorrow when the war began" series is al about the injustice of war at a very personal, teenage level. The later ones about after the war have lots of situations where there is no simple 'just' answer - so justice is lots more complex than we'd like it to be. They would be easy to get at ordinary bookshops and not expensive.

Cheers
Hilary,
Just me, partner and son, suburban backyard chooks (3), cats (2) veggies (variable) and weeds (eternally thriving)[:p]

More
11 years 1 month ago #380871 by MooandPop
Mississippi Burning, plenty to write about there!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #380872 by MooandPop
sorry just read the non racial thing.... What about reading about Goldmann Sachs and their part in the financial meltdown. Plenty to read on the internet, really unjust, and ohh so topical seeing as they are still doing most of the same sort of stuff.

try this for a start

www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog

More
11 years 1 month ago #380929 by Hawkspur
There are the issues with immigration and refugee status in Australia and New Zealand. There is a lot to explore there.

More
11 years 1 month ago #381099 by BRL
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - by Dee Brown. First published in 1970, it's an extraordinary book - it changed how Americans (and the rest of the world) thought about the indigenous peoples of North America. It's an account of how the American Indians lost their land and were systematically crushed by the US Government. I'm going to stick my neck out here but I don't think any indigenous population anywhere on the planet suffered as badly as the American Indian nations.

As an account of injustice on a mammoth scale, it'll reduce you to tears, more than once. Reading this book will affect you.

More
11 years 1 month ago #381119 by drifter

BRL;374282 wrote: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - by Dee Brown. First published in 1970, it's an extraordinary book - it changed how Americans (and the rest of the world) thought about the indigenous peoples of North America. It's an account of how the American Indians lost their land and were systematically crushed by the US Government. I'm going to stick my neck out here but I don't think any indigenous population anywhere on the planet suffered as badly as the American Indian nations.

As an account of injustice on a mammoth scale, it'll reduce you to tears, more than once. Reading this book will affect you.

That was one of the most devastating books I ever read :(

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 1 month ago #381120 by Farmer53
Watch the Rabbit proof fence

More
11 years 1 month ago #381377 by Simkin
Have to rant!

I ordered 4 books from the Christchurch City Library last weekend. Today I rang and asked whether there is a problem with these books.

I was told - yes.

Although some of the libraries in the western suburbs got through the earthquakes ok THE CITY COUNCIL is now occupying them - to save ratepayers money. The books have been packed away, the shelves pushed to the sides so no access to the books at all.

I reckon that council staff wanted to work in single story safe buildings, it has nothing to do with saving ratepayers money when they commissioned a 800K+ contract to some buddy firm to write up a plan on how the different entities can work together smoothly for the rebuilt.

I'm furious[}:)]

They don't do interloan - a policy set by the council!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds