Health Emergency on Airplane

More
11 years 2 days ago #27695 by Simkin
In had a discussion recently with a friend who insisted that an airplane would land if a passenger got very ill. She said 'yes it would' - I say it won't.

My experience is a bit outdated - 24 years old to be exact. We were on a Singapore Airlines Flight from Singapore to Frankfurt over India and the flight attendants asked whether there was a doctor on board via their microphone. Noone came forward. They then asked each and every passenger whether he/she is a doctor, waking up the passengers who were asleep. No doctor on board on a fully booked 747.

The plane didn't land, the passenger died. It could be argued that landing in India or Pakistan wouldn't have been a good option.

My parents had a similar experience just after take-off in Frankfurt. A fellow passenger suffered what appeared to be a heart attack. No doctor on board, passenger was dead on arrival at destination 4 hours later.

Has anyone been on an aircraft that actually landed because a passenger was gravely ill?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 days ago #380624 by greenfingers
I haven't been on an aircraft but my uncle was flying back from England via USA in mid-1990's and had a heartattack. There was a nurse on board who performed CPR on him (with another passenger helping) until the plane landed in Hawaii. He survived but has never flown since! I don't know all the details as I was only in my early teens and didn't really pay much attention to all the drama :(.

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
11 years 2 days ago #380626 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Health Emergency on Airplane
I know a Dr who was on a plane when there was a medical incident. He was asked by the pilot if they needed to turn the plane around. He did not think that it was an emergency that earlier treatment would benefit the patient, so the plane continued on and landed in Auckland. Passenger survived.

Maybe they'll only land if the Dr says to land. It also may depend on how much time it would take to turn around, land and get medical attention - that might take hours anyway.

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds