Christchurch Demolition Map

More
12 years 9 months ago #381557 by NZ Appaloosas

debnjohn;373832 wrote: I hope that some recycling will be utilised from all those poor munted houses. Pictures on the media show machines crashing through buildings destroying what looks like perfectly good windows, doors plumbing fittings etc. Obvious caveats would be structure safety, contamination etc.

There is going to be vast need for all of this in the rebuild. We are a small nation with limited resources. I am sure kiwi ingenuity could make an impact on the ever-spiralling costs of this disaster...

Some of what's being demolished/cleaned up/hauled away is going into rebuilding/repairing the wharfs at Lyttleton. Not sure if it is just the bigger/older buildings 'pieces' being used or what, but not all of it is going to landfill.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #381601 by scooter
Replied by scooter on topic Christchurch Demolition Map
My heart goes out for my sister's predicament....her house and side of the street is green but the houses on the other side of the street are all red. [B)]

As she has said...we will be here for ever, who wants to buy our house now??
A terrible situation for them.
Who will maintain these soon to be empty sections and streets??? Will they be left in a neglected state, an invitation for taggers and vandals and other undesirables???

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
12 years 9 months ago #381634 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Christchurch Demolition Map

scooter;374841 wrote:
As she has said...we will be here for ever, who wants to buy our house now??

With any luck, there will be people whose homes have been red zoned but want to stay in the area (and perhaps buy the green zoned house across the road), so there is some hope, but I understand the extreme worry and uncertainty.

I sincerely hope that the red-zoned areas will be turned into reserves, like the Travis Wetland, or other public areas and maintained. Living opposite a reserve would make properties desirable in the long term.

What I can't understand is streets where almost all properties are zoned red or orange, with the occasional green. If you look at Lower Styx Road in Brooklands, there are perhaps ten green properties, the rest are red or orange. If the orange turn red, will those few green properties be serviced - the sewerage pipes and water supply to the area are in a bad way, will they be fixed for only a few remaining residents?

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 9 months ago #381883 by scooter
Replied by scooter on topic Christchurch Demolition Map

Seaside;374874 wrote: With any luck, there will be people whose homes have been red zoned but want to stay in the area (and perhaps buy the green zoned house across the road), so there is some hope, but I understand the extreme worry and uncertainty

I doubt it very much...they are concerned that these red zones will take years to turn into reserves and will become neglected and overgrown.
Their side of the street backs onto a park, will their quiet street become the main road and thoroughfare- they are worried. :(

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
12 years 8 months ago #384712 by Phaedrus

Seaside;373888 wrote:
I don't see Mickey Finns on the demo map, does anyone know if it is still standing?

Just happened to note this question. I can't say too much really, given what I do, but I think you'll find the building is fairly unlikely to be demolished...

More
12 years 8 months ago #384852 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Christchurch Demolition Map

Phaedrus;378287 wrote: Just happened to note this question. I can't say too much really, given what I do, but I think you'll find the building is fairly unlikely to be demolished...

Thanks. It is nice to think that one day there will be familiar haunts back in action. I've always enjoyed the live music, atmosphere, and pink pool tables at Mickey Finns. I think, personally, I am still a long way away from getting my head around the new Christchurch and knowing where to go for what.

I spoke to an elderly lady today, perhaps in her 70s or 80s (she was visiting on Jehova's witness business, but I find everyone has something interesting to say if you ask the right questions, even if you don't agree with their opinions) who was born and raised in ChCh. She was reminising about the shops of years gone by and the buildings that they housed now gone. The lingerie shop near the Forsyth Barr building where she used to buy her nighties. It must be harder for those whose lifetime of memories are here.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 8 months ago #384858 by Phaedrus

Seaside;378444 wrote: Thanks. It is nice to think that one day there will be familiar haunts back in action. I've always enjoyed the live music, atmosphere, and pink pool tables at Mickey Finns. I think, personally, I am still a long way away from getting my head around the new Christchurch and knowing where to go for what.

I spoke to an elderly lady today, perhaps in her 70s or 80s...

Yes, there's a great deal of change going on currently. Vast sections of the city are now completely razed to the ground and it's surprisingly difficult to recall just what was originally located at certain sites. Certainly your visitor would find it a curious experience I should think.

I'm well familiar with those shops near Forsyth Barr, given the age of some it's quite possible one may have been the nightie shop originally. I'm probably not speaking too much out of turn when I note that several have just very recently gone. I'm due to look at one of the few remaining ones again shortly...

Again hopefully without divulging anything too contentious I'm not certain you'll find as many familiar haunts quite as you might think in the next short to medium term.

FWIW it was very interesting today to see the snow still present in certain areas of the CBD - an indicator of just how little sun some places get due to the tall buildings. Other areas where there are now no (or low!) buildings were quite sunny and dry, a harbinger of things to come perhaps?

P.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds