Heater recommendation

More
12 years 9 months ago #27681 by DiDi
Heater recommendation was created by DiDi
Having lived the last 30 years always enjoying a fireplace, this rental does not have one. In fact it has no heating at all.

Having said that, it is very well positioned for the sun (when we get it) and a thermal singlet, sweatshirt and finally a jumper have been enough BUT now the nights are getting beyond that!

I wonder what those of you who have relied on heaters would recommend. There appears to be so many classifications of heaters from radiant to whatever that it is all a bit of a blur. It is not a big living place to heat - say 14M2 inclusive kitchen,dining,lounge.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380447 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Heater recommendation
Hi Didi,

We have a Mitsubishi heat pump/ air conditioner, cannot beat it and no more wood cutting or stacking.

hope this helps

Rob

More
12 years 9 months ago #380448 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Heater recommendation
Thanks Rob but you missed the word rental! LOL I'm certainly not paying to put one of those in - or am I missing the plot and you have a free standing one that plugs into a power socket?

More
12 years 9 months ago #380451 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Heater recommendation
I don't know anything about those slimline plug-in jobs you can get from electric stores, but they say they are efficient. I think that you need to look at the energy rating (watts) they draw to determine how efficient electric heaters are. For instance those oil column heaters can be very expensive to run, but do at least have a thermostat to control them.
Can you ask your landlord to put a heater in for you?
Otherwise those snuggle sacks you can buy from the warehouse might look pretty attractive. They are pretty warm. We have one on our bed with just a sheet and it's very cosy.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #380455 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Heater recommendation
DiDi, I've just had a look at what Consumer say - if you want to read it in depth there is a cost involved I think. Convection heaters are designed for background warmth, ones with fans have faster warmup and more even heating. Most popular is upright oil filled column heaters. Less popular but cheaper is box type with heating element in bottom and grille at top to let warm air out.
Panel heaters are generally permanently wired so not good for rental situation unless landlord prepared to put in for you.
Portable fan heaters give you a blast of warm air but expensive to run.
Heat pumps came out highly in this report - not possible in rental situation unless landlord to put in.
Apparently plug in heaters eg 2kW heater on high 5 hours a day at cost of 23c per kWh would amount to $69 per month.
Thermostat on heater can save some of this.
If buying a convection with fan or fan heater listen to it in shop as some can be surprisingly noisy.
Most telling are readers comments with someone saying that their townhouse in Churton Park (Wgtn I think?) does amazingly well with just a dehumidifier. Taking the damp out would make a difference. Sorry I couldn't get any more info for you. Good luck. Know what it's like to live in cold rentals, I'm sure we've all done it at some stage.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380463 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Heater recommendation
sorry Didi

Rob

More
12 years 9 months ago #380465 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Heater recommendation
I'd second oil column.

The good thing about these is that unlike fan heaters, when the thermostat switches off, the heater is still warm and will stay warm for a while (ie: it stores a bit of heat)...when a fans stop blowing it immediately gets cold!

We have no main heating either (Thanks MR. EARTHQUAKE!!) so we are using an oil column to heat 1 room (about 6m x 3.5 - high ceilings/uninsulated). A LARGE oil column is doing the job just fine. The downside, it take quite a while to heat up. Possible solutions, set it on a timer so its warm when you need it, or buy a model with a little integral fan in it (usually on the side).

If you have draughts, plug them if you can, we put the 3m plastic film over the windows in there and it made a very noticeable difference. It's not really cheap to run, but then no electric heaters are! Draught stoppers under the doors are a big help too.

Good luck (and thank your lucky stars that you don't live in the colder south!!)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
12 years 9 months ago #380471 by Chris-HB
Replied by Chris-HB on topic Heater recommendation
In terms of basic electro-thermal efficiency, radiant/oil column/fan/panel heaters are all the same, ie 90-100 efficient in terms of converting electrical energy to heat by resisitive means. They vary of course as to how quickly they heat up and distribute the resultant heat but their inherent efficiency is much the same.

The only real gains are via a heat pump but these are permanent installations. So I guess it's a case of choosing the style of heater that you feel best fits your current circumstances/rooms. You can get solid state timers for near nothing these days so you can set a slow-warmup one to come on say during the night or mid afternoon to be delivering its best when you really need it.

Chris-HB

More
12 years 9 months ago #380475 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Heater recommendation
I'd get Dan Carter down off the wall and get warm with him.............. [:0] did I say that??? [}:)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 9 months ago #380479 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Heater recommendation
Be aware that oil heaters can be very greedy on the power. I mentioned this in my first answer. A good example, MIL who usually has a monthly power bill of about $160, pushed her power bill to just over $500, by using the oil column heater for for 3 weeks.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #380494 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Heater recommendation
Have a look around I believe there are portable heatpumps on the market that may be suitable.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds