Moth balls

More
12 years 8 months ago #27679 by ronnie
Moth balls was created by ronnie
Seems the moths have had a high old time over summr feasting on our woolly jumpers. Both alpaca and possum jerseys have several holes in them as well as the hand knitted woollen ones.

Is there anything other than those horrid, smelly old moth balls I can use to deter the beggars?? I hate the smell of them, yet cannot afford to replace the entire winter wardrobe each year due to moth holes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #380402 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Moth balls
This may help. Or maybe something amongst these will be the answer.

I have an alpaca jumper with a hole right on the chest from these little beggers.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 8 months ago #380405 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Moth balls
My neighbour brought over a plant which probably belongs to the mint family, which was supposed to repel moths. It died, so I wasn't able to test its efficacy.

I have used Napthalene at various times but am having horrors about going through some clothing and wool bags where I didn't use it, because I suspect I'm going to find really disappointing damage.

More
12 years 8 months ago #380414 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Moth balls
If you have a moth ball in each hand what does that mean? It's a very large moth :D :D :D

But seriously mothballs may be a thing of the past if the 'experts' get their way [xx(]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 8 months ago #380422 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Moth balls
You could buy yourself a camphorwood box and store in there but if you don't like their smell too, perhaps get some cedar timber and make up hanging blocks. Can't guarantee as I haven't done it but believe it works.

More
12 years 8 months ago #380434 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Moth balls
You could pack them in the vac sealed ziplock bags advertised, then once deflated and N2-O2 mixed air is gone, fill them with CO2 from a gas cartridge, I've seen inflaters using a CO2 pistol cartridge in adverts from the states... Moths won't like being in a pure CO2 environment...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #380441 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Moth balls
Bearing in mind that it is not the moths that are eating your jumpers but the hatching lavae that were laid earlier. Correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.

More
12 years 8 months ago #380454 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Moth balls

DiDi;373558 wrote: Bearing in mind that it is not the moths that are eating your jumpers but the hatching lavae that were laid earlier. Correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding.

i may be wrong as well.. but yes i thought it was the hatchlings.. and i understood it was not the wool fibre they were after, but any food or skin flakes left on the fibre..
i always wash mine before winter storage ( well thats the plan anyway )...

More
12 years 8 months ago #380481 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Moth balls
This is a recipe from Wendyl Nissens Green Goddess website. She has tested and published loads of herbal kind of recipes and lots of cleaners as well. I have used quite a lot of these recipes and they have been really good so far. Apparently (as per her website) naphthalene has just been declared a registered carcinogin in USA. I haven't tried this one so I cannot personally vouch for it.

50 g dried rosemary
50g dried mint
25 g dried thyme
25 g ginseng (available at health stores as herbal tea)
200 g whole cloves
Mix together and put into squares of muslin, old hankies or serviettes then tie at the top with a ribbon. This should make about four good sized sachets.

More
12 years 8 months ago #380485 by digby
Replied by digby on topic Moth balls
I have put mothballs in my letterbox to keep the spiders and roaches away!
It works :)

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
12 years 8 months ago #380486 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Moth balls
Apparently any of those strong-smelling volatile oils are meant to repel moths and larvae so fragrant herbs like lavender, thyme, pennyroyal and rosemary are all meant to be good. Also wood oils like cedar, pine, etc.

I'm growing wormwood and tansy in the garden because both are supposed to be insect repellents. Apparently chickens will nibble at them and the oils are supposed to keep internal parasites at bay too. I have no evidence of any of this! (If all else fails I'll just make a batch of absinthe to keep my mind off it all...)

Needless to say, don't put any of these things directly on your stored clothes, as those same volatile oils will leach out and stain the fabric.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 8 months ago #380488 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Moth balls
(If all else fails I'll just make a batch of absinthe to keep my mind off it all...)

:D :D .. cheers! :D

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds