Insurance rises...

More
12 years 10 months ago #379870 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Insurance rises...

igor;372917 wrote: My advice to all Chch ratepayers is don't pay for services you are not getting. If that means refusing to pay any rates at all because your building is gone and your land is now unbuildable then do that.

I see it another way. We all share the costs of the repairs and they will happen faster if the costs are spread over all.

Imagine if practically everyone in Christchurch argued that their services were affected (even those with services are asked to minimise their use) and therefore they did not have to pay.
The Council and others are doing a very good job of keeping things as functional as possible. I was so impressed at the speed with which services throughout the city are being repaired. (I don't know how some of the workers are coping with their long hours and constantly having to redo work, but I am very grateful for every patch I have to drive over and every drop of water I have available to boil.)
The frustrations are real, but the resolution of the problems will come. Let's not make the city finances even worse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379936 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Insurance rises...
Hawkspur - there are red stickered homes that have been abandoned. The owners now pay rent, still pay the mortgage on their red stickered homes PLUS rates. It's a bit much in my opinion.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379939 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Insurance rises...

Simkin;373008 wrote: Hawkspur - there are red stickered homes that have been abandoned. The owners now pay rent, still pay the mortgage on their red stickered homes PLUS rates. It's a bit much in my opinion.

I have friends in this position. Yes they are struggling, and some have ages to wait to know whether they even have usable land, but not paying rates just passes the problem on, and solves nothing. A Council with uncertain income, or even bankrupt would be another disaster we cannot afford.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379941 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Insurance rises...
The "should I have to pay rates/mortgage, whatever" issue is an interesting one. Personally, I agree with Hawkspur. With a disaster such as the Christchurch quakes, everyone in the country is having to pay one way or another, and would we have it any other way? I'm sure we all want to gripe about how these increases in insurance, country's debt affect us personally, but can you imagine what it would be like if we just left those affected to themselves and expected them to cope? Won't happen - it's not the New Zealand way, thank goodness.

Having said that, sometimes s**t happens and we just have to suck it up and deal with it. We're not guaranteed a cruisy problem-free life and I don't believe that we have a right to be compensated for every single bad thing that happens to us. Before anyone jumps on me from a great height, what I mean by that is simply that if we, as individuals, expect to have everything the same after a disaster as before, that's unrealistic. For instance, if people are having to pay rent as well as a mortgage over a property that's been red-stickered, then that's tough, but what's the alternative? Are landlords expected to provide accommodation long-term for free? If people have to pay rates for services that are temporarily not being supplied because of the quake damage, should they not do that so council can continue to fund repairs to those services?

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379950 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Insurance rises...

Mich;373014 wrote: The "should I have to pay rates/mortgate, whatever" issue is an interesting one. Personally, I agree with Hawkspur. With a disaster such as the Christchurch quakes, everyone in the country is having to pay one way or another, and would we have it any other way? I'm sure we all want to gripe about how these increases in insurance, country's debt affect us personally, but can you imagine what it would be like if we just left those affected to themselves and expected them to cope? Won't happen - it's not the New Zealand way, thank goodness.

Having said that, sometimes s**t happens and we just have to suck it up and deal with it. We're not guaranteed a cruisy problem-free life and I don't believe that we have a right to be compensated for every single bad thing that happens to us. Before anyone jumps on me from a great height, what I mean by that is simply that if we, as individuals, expect to have everything the same after a disaster as before, that's unrealistic. For instance, if people are having to pay rent as well as a mortgage over a property that's been red-stickered, then that's tough, but what's the alternative? Are landlords expected to provide accommodation long-term for free? If people have to pay rates for services that are temporarily not being supplied because of the quake damage, should they not do that so council can continue to fund repairs to those services?

Cheers, Mich.

Well, Mich, I do agree with you. Sh!tt happens, it can happen to anyone of us, and if there isn't any solidarity with those affected then we would be a very selfish society.

However, I do feel with those who haven't got the means to pay the rates for their uninhabitable properties.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379956 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Insurance rises...
Know what you're saying, Simkin. It's just such a horrible situation all round and hard to take in how much people have to put up with down there. Christchurch is my home town and so many of the familiar landmarks just aren't there any more. I grew up in the area severely affected by liquifaction, and I can't get my head around how a lot of places/streets just won't be habitable any more, or rebuilt. Almost inconceivable, really.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #380012 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Insurance rises...

Hawkspur;372935 wrote: I see it another way. We all share the costs of the repairs and they will happen faster if the costs are spread over all.

Imagine if practically everyone in Christchurch argued that their services were affected (even those with services are asked to minimise their use) and therefore they did not have to pay.
The Council and others are doing a very good job of keeping things as functional as possible. I was so impressed at the speed with which services throughout the city are being repaired. (I don't know how some of the workers are coping with their long hours and constantly having to redo work, but I am very grateful for every patch I have to drive over and every drop of water I have available to boil.)
The frustrations are real, but the resolution of the problems will come. Let's not make the city finances even worse.

So you should pay for sewer services if you've been without for months? Quite frankly, our flat is in an area where "please don't use" has been standard for washing/toileting/etc., with no porta-loo closer than 2 blocks, no chemical toilets delivered and no disposal unit for any chem toilets. What about people who no longer have jobs, like the roughly 200 employees the city just layed off?

Rates are based on land AND capital improvement value. If your capital improvement value is zilch, then even 1000% of zero is zero.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 10 months ago #380014 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Insurance rises...

Hawkspur;373012 wrote: I have friends in this position. Yes they are struggling, and some have ages to wait to know whether they even have usable land, but not paying rates just passes the problem on, and solves nothing. A Council with uncertain income, or even bankrupt would be another disaster we cannot afford.

There won't be uncertain income if the council prorates the rates. It is rather easily done, and is in fact, normal procedure for sales--if a property was destroyed in September, then the property owner pays full rates for July and August, and prorated land value only.

As it is, there are millions of dollars sitting in things like the Mayoral fund, from which I cannot think of a single person who has received any funding. Yes people received funding from the Red Cross and WINZ but even that was around $1000 (for 2 adults, no children) and $250, respectively.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds