Gumboots are a hellovaprice

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #27585 by Stikkibeek
JUst gone into the farm supply shop to see what gumboots are worth cause OH is having trouble with the tread being very slippery on his redbands. Shock horror. The price has sky rocketed. Last pair I bought for myself, and yeh they were a small size, were under $50. Redbands OH size 11 are $89, some other brand (on special) are $83, but are long tops, and an Aussie brand that starts with B, Blundstone I think, which look like plastic are $69.
Anybody know where the best bargains are to be had and also a recommended brand?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379114 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
I get mine from Bunnings... $19.95 for the high side type PVC ones. Last about half as long as Skellerup Perths, but at one Fifth the cost, I come out ahead... Gardwell I think they are.

Mum gets the little colourful home city gardening type form the Warehouse, much thinner and lighter sole than Skellerups and more comfortable for an old lady to lift her feet in tthan big ol heavy farming ones.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379118 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
Talking of gumboots my Perth ones have just sprung a leak, not good when having to wade through a stream to shift the cows fence!

Now I have moved the cows from that paddock even the wet grass seems to seep through-so I looked for a new pair at Farmlands last week. The Perth Youths/womens which I like, seem to be around $85! Then I remembered the pair of Red Bands I won at Mystery Creek Field days last year!

So I've been wearing them this week. Well, they don't leak, but being shorter I have to watch where I step in the creek and the worst thing, being gapey, is they fill up with hay and baleage really easily-so my socks are always messy. I wouldn't buy them from choice-too short for my liking-but free so I guess I will put up with them for now!

I like the longer ones with decent tread to protect your feet from sharp stones and grip on the slippery banks, no poncey coloured cheapos for me!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379121 by jeannielea
The $20 ones from Mitre10 are Bata and seem pretty sturdy but ours don't get much wear as I got them for visitors. But heaps better than red shed ones

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379127 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
Will have to go look at some for me to .. as i dont think my bike puncture repair will last that long.. guess i will go see whats at Farmlands or RD1 , as i need a pair that will last

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379129 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
The Bunnings high sides have decent tread, proper Ag style that is grippy and good has a long depth to them.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379139 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
I've been wearing Bullseye boots for some years, having discovered they last about twice as long as Redbands. www.bullseyedirect.co.nz

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379141 by The Kats Place
I think you get what you pay for, so how many hours a day will you feet be in them?
I have a skellerup pair and a cheapy pair as a back up in case the good ones get wet, then I use the backups for a few hours while the good ones get dry

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379153 by Stikkibeek

The Kats Place;372143 wrote: I think you get what you pay for, so how many hours a day will you feet be in them?
I have a skellerup pair and a cheapy pair as a back up in case the good ones get wet, then I use the backups for a few hours while the good ones get dry

That maybe so, but expensive boots that are slippery, are not a good buy.....rather a goodbye. We wear our boots all the time. Last thing I want to do, is be picking OH up off the deck when he's gone down after slipping with boots with no grip.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379156 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
Invested in my third pair of Skellerup 4x4's last year but at better than 6 years of hard use per pair I'm happy to pay a bit extra :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379159 by The Kats Place
mine are skellerup 4x4 and they have great grip

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379163 by BillyTheTractor
I got a pair of muckboots ( at flipping great expense) thinking they would last - not the case with mine. I've had them about a year, soles are in great nick, but the upper boot part has split near the ankle so they leak. I was so disappointed. :(

Wee Farm

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379165 by PalmyCol
Still pretty cheap. When I first went dairy farming in 1984 I paid $100 for a pair of skellerup full hight gumboots. Cheap Chinese imports were still but a distant dream :)
I guess you can either buy a few cheap pairs and just bin them as they crap out, or buy the most expensive ones and hope they last or the warranty covers them if they go bung within a year.

Oh yeah and like Sue I prefer the long ones, don't like having to watch out how deep the mud is :rolleyes:

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379166 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Gumboots are a hellovaprice
Don't buy any from the Red Shed. We bought some for the kids because their feet still grow (we bought adult sizes - 6 and 8 I think) but the boots didn't last. Our son's developed a split within 3 days of wearing them and as I had not kept the receipt we couldn't take them back. I did anyway but they didn't want to know. Ours daughter's pair wasn't good either - the sole came off within a month or so. So we invested in Redbands.

This was fairly recent. Earlier buys at the Red Shed lasted a year or so - long enough for growing feet.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379168 by Rothwell
With gumboots, even with a new pair with new treads, they still slip. I slid 100 meters down a steep grass slope with a backpack of spray on one morning :-(. That was even more frightening than having the ATV roll over the top of me. I try to remember to put my leather boots on when on steep slopes now.
My Redbands break on the top of the left foot where I change gear with the ATV. I've tried patching them with car and bike patches, but it comes off really quickly.
If you have a good left, size 9, I might have a good right that I can swap.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds