Any good novel recommendations

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #27510 by highgirl
Has anyone read any good novels lately?

Not that I have time to read, but my mum is on holiday and can't find a good book. She likes a lot of different things probably...ones I can think of that she has enjoyed have been The Time Travelers Wife, The Lovely Bones, or one that she read just recently which I also thought was really good and now annoyingly enough I can't think of the name.

It was about a women who broke up with her husband and had an antique store...how frustrating, I'll have to go and google it

Text mum and she told me author (Sarah-Kate Lynch) and the book was "On Top of Everything". I loved it, it was something I could really relate to!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #378222 by Organix
Life of Pi by Yann Martel is an interesting read.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #378230 by Kiwi303
with that selection, try the Outlander series by Diana Galbadon (sp)

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #378232 by Andrea1
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_of_Bees
That was a good read. OK flick, but much better read.

I also recently read a book called The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, also a good read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forgotten_Garden

My daughter and I also recently read The Bird, The Bees and Other Secrets, by Frances Garood
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3936343-birds-the-bees-and-other-secrets

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #378235 by Stikkibeek
If you have reluctant readers in your family, particularly boys about 9-12, try the series by Gabrielle Lord http://www.wheelers.co.nz/books/9781741690330-january/?title=January The first in the series is called January and it's a pretty exciting read. If you join up with Wheeler's book club, you can nominate your local school and they will receive credits for purchasing extra books if your school is already a subscriber. I buy a lot of books through them for my local school as they offer good prices.
Now, not meaning to promote them as advertising, but a good place for lots of books.

You might also enjoy the series written by John Marsden which starts with Tomorrow when the war began. This was made into a movie in the last few years. Even though they are kids/young adult books, they are an exciting read. http://www.wheelers.co.nz/browse/search/results/?author=John+Marsden

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378249 by FencerMan
Another Australian based one, "The White Earth" by Andrew McGahan. > I strongly recommend it!

"His father dead by fire and his mother plagued by demons of her own, William is cast upon the charity of his unknown uncle - an embittered old man encamped in the ruins of a once great station homestead, Kuran House. It's a baffling and sinister new world for the boy, a place of decay and secret histories. His uncle is obsessed by a long life of decline and by a dark quest for revival, his mother is desperate for a wealth and security she has never known, and all their hopes it seems come to rest upon William's young shoulders. But as the past and present of Kuran Station unravel and merge together, the price of that inheritance may prove to be the downfall of them all. The White Earth is a haunting, disturbing and cautionary tale."

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378260 by highgirl
Thanks all for those recommendations, they sound great and I may have to try and find some time to read! Mind you with my foot in my cast I should be able to find some.

I'll pass them on to mum and definitely check out the site sb :) Both my sons are real readers (took 12 years to convince the 13 year old it was a worthwhile thing mind you [:0]) The 9 year old has always been addicted.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378267 by blimeyvicki
Water for elephants is a great book. I have just read wendyl nissens books as wells which I enjoyed. "A year of living like my nana" was a good one.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378272 by jeannielea
I just read that one by Wendyl Nissen as well. And I loved Water for Elephants. A good light read is A guide to the birds of East Africa by Nicholas Grayson Not what it sound like a lovely story about a older man in Nairobi who wants to ask the lady who does birdwatching tours, to the local hunt ball. Similar to The No1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith but not a copy. Light reading with many humourous twists as the Mc Call books are

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378293 by kaybe
I was just about to say Water For Elephants - one of my most recommended books this year, and I liked both the novels you mentioned in your first post. Novel About My Wife is also un-put-downable, and you might also really like The Book Thief, and a novel called The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378296 by Ronney
I can endorse Andrea's taste and thoroughly recommend Kate Morton's "Forgotten Garden".

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378301 by Andrea1
I read every night before going to sleep, always have a couple of books going. Sometimes it's a nuisance when I'm so tired I can only read a few lines before the book slips and whacks me in the face, and it's even more of a nuisance when it's a library book that takes me longer than the lending period to read (must remember to renew that overdue one on Tuesday!!!) because I can only read such a short bit each night. But I have always loved reading, and there's always something new at the libraries which sounds interesting. If not, there's my own library, full of old favourites which I enjoy re-reading.

I love Jane Austen, but I'm having a hard slog through Mansfield Park, which just doesn't feel the same as her other stuff, and just drags in places.....

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378315 by kimberj06
I agree with Kiwi - Outlander (or Cross Stitch) by Diana Gabaldon is a fantastic series of books - and something similar is the Lake in the Clouds series by Sara Donati.

Hoping to get out of the city while I am still young enough to make the land productive.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378389 by highgirl
They all sound great and I'm going to have a lot of reading ahead of me...my trouble is I never get them read in the library time and end up with overdue fees so I'll have to overcome this issue!

Thanks for all your thoughts, they are most appreciated :D

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #378463 by jeannielea
We can renew our books on line or by phone - can you not do that too? Makes life heaps easier!

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds