Checking the fence at night

More
11 years 1 month ago #27480 by Ghilly
I've been having a major headache with the electric fence.... I decided tonight I would have a wander around the fence line....... wee sparks! [:0]

One bit had come adrift with the staples pulling out of an insulator, fixed... one bit had managed to get twisted around the fence... Mr Tumnus probably did that this morning when he escaped next door..... one bit which didn't count because it wasn't part of the circuit so it wasn't breaking it.

It had been disconnected by one of the goats leaning on it cos the fence wasn't working..... a tiny worn bit in the polywire was sparking, so I cut it and joined it back together.... when I did this, it pulled the wire along the top of the fence down so it was close to a nail holding the insulator in.

All little lights on the fence tester are now blinking red at me and there are going to be some naughty goats who will get a bit of a shock in the morning when they go to plough through the strip grazing fence and into the shelter belts tomorrow!!!
Eeee it's been a pain in the neck to sort out, I wouldn't have found the small breaks in the polywire during the day. Hearing that ticking noise is easier at night too.

I'd fix one bit and go turn the fence on... then I'd see more wee sparks or hear that ticking and have to go turn the fence off again, back and forth back and forth... it wasn't so bad in the back paddock cos I have switches there but not in the two front paddocks...... it's a 'get around to it' thing.

I think I deserve a cup of tea now. YAY!!!!

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377852 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Checking the fence at night
Fences are fun! Stephan found the cause of our major power loss the other day: a bent bit of copper brake line from a vehicle, which must somehow have come down from the road and caught on the fence, just touching the electric out-rigger. I suppose if we'd gone night walking, we'd have seen and heard that one!

More
11 years 1 month ago #377999 by Rothwell
Unless the tape is going to touch an d make a short, I don't cut the broken bit out. I just fold it over and tie a knot. Those wee loops can be really useful keeping the tape in the standards.
I have a gauge that reads numbers so I don't know if it would work with the light ones but .... when I have a fence that I think the hotwire is touching, I check to see if any power is going through the wires of the fence. If so, I know which fence wire to check, and to not touch :-)

More
11 years 1 month ago #378024 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Checking the fence at night
Our electric fence is a bit of a Heath Robinson affair. Our paddocks are in a U shape around the house and a lack of knowledge and not having the right tools and products to use hasn't helped. One day I'm going to get it all sorted so it's actually got a proper hot wire and post fence to keep my lovely darlings from running rampage if the power's not doing it's thing.
They don't usually leave the property, even if the fence isn't working but they do take any opportunity to get to trees they shouldn't (not toxic).

It's that old thing about doing a job once and doing it properly. I know for next time LOL.

Yakut

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #378176 by Rothwell
With fencing, what is right for one kind or even age of animal is often quite wrong for another type of animal, so it is always a compromise. My goats can get through deer netting. If there is a bit of space underneath they just crawl under. And 3 of them have learnt that if they put their heads through the netting and push hard then the upright wires move sideways so that they can then climb through :-(

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #378606 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Checking the fence at night
Hey Yakut,

this is the meter I used when I had land, best thing i have used, saved me hours of time for finding out where my fence was shorting out

www.stafix.com/product.asp?productID=31

Rob

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #379020 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Checking the fence at night
Cool! Yeah that would make finding the short easier.....

Yakut

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #379227 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Checking the fence at night
it is well worth the money

Rob

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds