Download speed!

More
11 years 1 month ago #27436 by Rod Brown
Download speed! was created by Rod Brown
After doing tests I see my current download speed is .25 Mbps and upload speed around .55 Mbps (varies).

In the past I have had no real trouble in downloading and watching Utube videos or TV programmes on demand but the last couple months it has been hopless to try and watch anything like that. I get about 5 seconds of viewing and it pauses for about 20 seconds (I think they call it buffering) before it starts again. In case you ask nothing else is running.

The computer is only a couple of years old and I'm sure my software is quite satisfactory so what might the problem be now? especially as it used to be OK. :confused:

Thanks.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377432 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic Download speed!
We are having similar issues Rod. Internet has been slow for the last 4 days, our usage had gone over our allocation, but as of yesterday we are on a new allocation. Our download speed is .14mbps and upload is .30mbps. whats going on, we have a brand new laptop and that hasn't helped. we are with telecom and are running it via inbuilt wireless.
Whats happening

Glenn

More
11 years 1 month ago #377435 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Download speed!

Rod Brown;370229 wrote: After doing tests I see my current download speed is .25 Mbps and upload speed around .55 Mbps (varies).

In the past I have had no real trouble in downloading and watching Utube videos or TV programmes on demand but the last couple months it has been hopless to try and watch anything like that. I get about 5 seconds of viewing and it pauses for about 20 seconds (I think they call it buffering) before it starts again. In case you ask nothing else is running.

The computer is only a couple of years old and I'm sure my software is quite satisfactory so what might the problem be now? especially as it used to be OK. :confused:

Thanks.

Are you sure those figures are the right way round?
What sort of plan are you on?
This may sound like an ISP helpdesk but have you rebooted your ADSL router? Turn it off, leave it ten minutes and turn it back on.

Slow internet speed is not usually a function of the PC but of a poor ADSL connection.
I also often find that some YouTube videos keep buffering and I am on a 12Mbps ADSL connection. If you pause the movie for a while it will continue to download then play without interruption.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377447 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Download speed!
kiwi jon My plan is Telecom Home Lite...............I'm allowed 5GB but never use half of that allocation in a month. I have done a few speed checks and yes my figures are the right way around!

I turn the computer off every night so doesn't the router reboot in the morning when I turn it on?

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377450 by busholme
Replied by busholme on topic Download speed!
Yep, agree with Kiwi jon.

reboot the router by turning the power off to it. Now days the adsl link is different to the computer.

Or if you know how you can disconnect and then connect using the router program.

I disconnect about fortnightly or whenever the download speed gets sluggish for an extended period of time

30 - 50 Sheep, 6 chooks, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife - who wants highland cows, donkeys, ducks, alpacas etc [:D]

More
11 years 1 month ago #377461 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Download speed!
Have you cleaned up all your browsing history etc? I use CCleaner if my computer gets sluggish and it can get rid or megabites of rubbish that I don't need anymore. Bear in mind that if you download it and use it, it also gets rid of your password connections (i.e LSB log on info) but as I know all my connections and passwords (having learnt the hard way!) it is not an issue. Definitely has a postive effect on my system.

Having said that, I am on a 5-6MBps download speed and have no issues with YouTube downloads. I always look sideways as to who is on my block when things slow down and am aware that it is after the local teenagers get home from school and start gaming presumably. Can work around that but a reality of life - to many users cause drops. Mind, perhaps Telecom is working out how to get fast fibre to Foxton School? Library? Ring and ask what the hell is happening - you are paying for a decent connection.

Vodafone on the other hand (if you are with them) will send you a form and you can do speed tests and then submit it back. If it is garbage you will be heard but gossip or not, I have been told that anything under 1MBps and they are not interested.

Roll on Sam Morgan and the new cable - we might finally get some competition and some decent outcomes. $8 a month in the USA for what cost $150 here!

More
11 years 1 month ago #377486 by kiwi_jon

Rod Brown;370285 wrote: kiwi jon
I turn the computer off every night so doesn't the router reboot in the morning when I turn it on?

Not unless your router is powered via USB on the computer or the router is connected to a power strip that the PC is plugged into and you turn that off at the wall.

More
11 years 1 month ago #377501 by Rod Brown
Eureka! I rebooted as you suggested and problem appears to be 95% solved. Occasionally after a few tests I get the odd buffering period but it is almost acceptable. :)

Thanks all.........it is people like you who save people like me probably a couple of hundred dollars. :D

PS. I wont go into the stressfull hour I had thinking my router had packed up with no lights flashing until I realized there was a reset button to be pushed [:I]

More
11 years 1 month ago #377511 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Download speed!
I am on satellite and every now an then the signal gets stale. Reboot router problem solved, so i guess it would be the same for ADSL.TKF

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 1 month ago #377514 by skyline_glenn
I rebooted our router and it went up to a massive .25mbps download and .40mbps upload. Is that even dialup speed?

Glenn

More
11 years 1 month ago #377597 by Rod Brown
For what it is worth after rebooting the router my download speed went from .25 Mbps to 1.12 Mbps which to me would indicate the download speed is now over 4 times faster. Having said that I still don't really understand it all!

More
11 years 1 month ago #377974 by skyline_glenn
I have just got off the phone to telecom in regards to my slow internet. After the second call they worked out the filter wasn't working properly. I now have a download speed of 2.49mbps. Now I can watch video clips without the stopping every couple of seconds. The lady from telecom said the filters may only last for a year and need replacing.

Glenn

More
11 years 1 month ago #378169 by Rod Brown
Well that is interesting skyline glen I have a spare filter so I will change it. In my ignorance I cant see that, that would be a problem but we will see!!! and I'll report back in due course.

More
11 years 1 month ago #378173 by Rod Brown
Bugger me days, you may be right! my download speed is now 1.57 Mbps (up from 1.12 Mbps) but it could be the time of the night Friday 8pm and all of the kids are on the way to parties and not on the computers!!!!!! I will reserve my decision..... I hope you are right.

More
11 years 1 month ago #378193 by kiwi_jon
In 10 years of running my IT business I would have only replaced ADSL filters about 5 times at clients. They do not fail as regularly as Telecom would have you believe but some brands are more prone to failure than others. Dynalink branded filters seem to be the worst.

Having said that I always carry a couple of spares and changing filters is part of my fault finding process.

Rural areas may also be more susceptible to filter failure due to long overhead lines and current spikes induced by lightning.

Often when the filter has failed or is failing you can hear the ADSL signal on a phone connected to the filter. Failing filters on the other phones in the house may also cause issues, not just the filter the router is connected to.

The act of unplugging the filter and plugging it back in may also clean of any corrosion on the phone jack contacts. I have been caught by this one myself on my own DSL circuit.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds