Disaster! Water in diesel...

More
12 years 9 months ago #27414 by thevarneys
Hubby put fuel in van and some in can for water pump, and on the way home the van blew white smoke and lost power and then.... nothing. He thinks head gasket is blown. Got towed home by neighbour. I got a phone call this morning from fuel shop saying there was some water in the diesel (they had a bit of a flood) so it is now lodged with their insurance. Water pump has not seized yet - we put it on for 20 mins last night- do you think it will or can machinery like that withstand a bit more 'bad fuel'?
Incidentally, as we dont have full cover on that vehicle (only 3rd party fire and theft) our insurance wont represent us. The other insurance company are not sure if they will pay for a hire car in the mean time.[V] And we cant afford to hire one...

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377223 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Disaster! Water in diesel...
I'd be surprised if your insurance would pay out for that even if you did have full cover. The blown head gasket might not even be related to the dodgy fuel. I'd still be inclined to drain the fuel from the other engine and get some fresh just in case though.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377249 by kiwi_jon
Water in diesel will cause white steam from the exhaust and loss of power. As the percentage of water to diesel increases the engine will eventually stop.

I doubt that the head gasket has blown. The diesel filters and fuel lines will be full of water. The tank needs to be drained, filters drained and replaced and fuel line bleed. The big risk is damage to the injector pump due to water corrosion. The sooner you get diesel through the system the better.

Meths will absorb water water from diesel as it is hydroscopic but it depends on how much water is in the tank. I have used 250ml of meths to 40L of diesel to absorb water.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377255 by thevarneys
It dosent seem like it will get looked at in a hurry - they said they might ring BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK[}:)] and let us know where to take the van to get looked at. I am hoping they actually come and take the van on a truck, rather than us have to tow it on our back metal road (bad corrugations etc). So if it is not severly damaged, like kiwi jon said, it will probably have a rusty engine by the time they get to and damaged a lot worse.
Oh well, a couple weeks at home wont do us any harm.... :(
I wonder if we are able to start 'treating' it ourself, or if they would rather us leave it alone....

More
12 years 9 months ago #377260 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Disaster! Water in diesel...
Treat it yourself. I have changed my own fuel and oil filters, bled diesel engines etc etc myself (and I'm a girl :D ). I am sure that nowadays you can down load all the instructions off the internet. MUCH cheaper to start on it yourself - what happens if the garage's insurance decides its not going to cover your vehicle? If you have left it, you'll be without a vehicle all together. For the amount of work, its a pretty major return.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377261 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Disaster! Water in diesel...
Hell I am good at saying "I don't get this". The Fuel Shop has admitted liability and if I were you, I'd be screaming blue murder that it is to be picked up TOMORROW and taken to a mechanic for urgent repair.

Chances are that whoever the claim was lodged with (insurance company) on behalf of the Fuel Shop doesn't have a clue about the mechanical side of things so doesn't realise the implications (going on what has been said above) to it not being ok to leave it. Next thing it will be an ooops and we will pay out on your van but it is only worth this. I sincerely hope that is not the outcome but if I were you, I'd be far more proactive in getting something done. Are you members of the AA by any chance as they have a legal team. Just a thought.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377292 by thevarneys
Anne - I know what you are saying (my hubby can actually do engine transplants himself) but thought if we try to fix it and we cant, the insurance might turn around and say we had 'tinkered' and ruined it worse.:confused:
Didi - I know what you are saying too. I explained it to several people at the insurance company, but as we dont have full cover our company wont do anything more. So the Fuel shop has insurance that will cover it, but we are obviously at the bottom of the list (and from what I know not too many people bought the affected fuel, though the other petrol station in town had similar problem too.
I dont know if I should be asking the petrol station who caused the damage for a vehicle to borrow (although it wont fit all of us), because the insurance company said lending out vehicles in the interim was not part of the petrol stations insurance policy.[}:)]
It does make you angry when I have 5 kids (little) need to take some to preschool and to speech therapy.
Yesterday IAG informaed me they wont even be ringing til the end of the week! So I am sure we are going to be without a van for ages[}:)] cos it will take the mechanic a week (my guess) to diagnose, order parts and install.
We are also very isolated and my family are 55km away, too far to ask mum to 'pop' over so i can borrow her car :D .
We have another car but hubby needs that to get to work and is working every day til next sat ( roster shift work)

More
12 years 9 months ago #377295 by thevarneys
I called IAG again and explained about the possible further damage and they said it dosent matter, cant do anything until I am rung by someone next week. Oh well, at least I know I will definatley be home when they call...[;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #377358 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Disaster! Water in diesel...
I'm sorry to say that no insurance company will pay for a hire car UNLESS you've taken out hire car insurance which is VERY expensive. If the garage has a courtesy car which they'll be happy to lend you then that's great - and your only chance of getting a free car to use.

So even if you had full insurance cover you'd be car-less for the time being.

More
12 years 9 months ago #377363 by thevarneys
thanks for that simpkin - I wont follow it up with petrol station as they are very small and dont have a courtsey car. :)

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds