How are you celebrating Matariki/Winter Solstice?

More
11 years 1 month ago #27260 by Lindeggs
This is a great time of year to have a hearth-warming party. It's also my birthday in June so I'm looking for ideas to celebrate the middle of winter (and therefore the beginning of a new year).

A few years ago it was popular to have mid-winter Christmas parties with all the hot & heavy foods, including fruity Christmas puddings with lots of custard. Mmmm... :p But I haven't been invited to one of those for a while. :(

I would love to draw together all those traditions of mid-winter feasting, marking the seasons, bringing together family and friends in a celebration of the dark and cold and in anticipation of the warmth and light to come.

What would you do/are you doing to mark the season?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375855 by Simkin
I'd like to hibernate and wake up again when the daffodils are in flower.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375859 by stephclark

Simkin;368478 wrote: I'd like to hibernate and wake up again when the daffodils are in flower.

with you on that one.,...just need to push 'pause' on all the jobs that need doing.. so we dont wake up completely overgrown, covered in dust and find the cats got so hungry they nibbled on us...

More
11 years 1 month ago #375860 by stephclark
and to answer the question what am i doing from matariki/shortest day.. plant garlic!

More
11 years 1 month ago #375864 by KiplingAngel
We will hopefully have an enclosed in house at that point, so will invite a few friends and family along to celebrate the turning of the wheel.

We'll have some form of poultry (Chicken, Turkey or Duck) and likely a roast of beef as well - and of course all the trimmings!! Stuffings, mashes, dressings, salads, pies, and desserts. Then we'll sit down to some home made liquors (my Limoncello was really good this year) as well as cider, beer and other assorted drinkies.

We'll have some little (Home made) gifties, hopefully a few musicians and a damn good night.

And yes - my birthday is on the 23rd, so it'll be a double whammy!

Can't wait!!!

More
11 years 1 month ago #375865 by kate

Simkin;368478 wrote: I'd like to hibernate and wake up again when the daffodils are in flower.

Me too...

Web Goddess

More
11 years 1 month ago #375872 by spoook
You guys that want to hibernate, better hurry and snuggle down......... my daffs and narcissi are producing flower heads now [:0]

Lindeggs, when in June?

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 1 month ago #375873 by Lindeggs
KiplingAngel, that sounds divine! And the closed in house will be a bonus. :)

Spoook, my birthday is June 10. This year Matariki is June 4 and Solstice is June 21 so I might just start my celebrations on the 4th and keep going until the 21st!

I'm usually trumped by my brother-in-law whose birthday is on the 8th, and his partner is a brilliant event planner. So he usually has something spectacular and I just tag along and enjoy it. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #375877 by Stikkibeek

Lindeggs;368501 wrote:

Spoook, my birthday is June 10. This year Matariki is June 4 and Solstice is June 21 so I might just start my celebrations on the 4th and keep going until the 21st! . :)

Great idea I'll start with QE11 bday and celebrate until 21. Must get in a few dozen wine, boxes that is. :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 1 month ago #375909 by igor
Stikki, the Queen's real birthday was April 26th. Have you been celebrating since then?
KiplingAngel, 23rd May or 23rd June? Mine's 23rd May.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375910 by kate
April 26th is my birthday, not the Queen's...it's an easy mistake to make [:o)][:o)][:o)]

The Queen's b'day is 21st April.

Web Goddess

More
11 years 1 month ago #375916 by Lindeggs
This gets better and better... so the party should start on 21 April and keep going until... what... October? :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
11 years 1 month ago #375932 by Ghilly

spoook;368500 wrote: You guys that want to hibernate, better hurry and snuggle down......... my daffs and narcissi are producing flower heads now [:0]

Same here! Daft flowers! They're just going to get blowed away in the wind. Oooo I am SO over the wind.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375937 by igor
I sit corrected Kate.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375955 by Blueberry

KiplingAngel;368487 wrote: We will hopefully have an enclosed in house at that point, so will invite a few friends and family along to celebrate the turning of the wheel.

We'll have some form of poultry (Chicken, Turkey or Duck) and likely a roast of beef as well - and of course all the trimmings!! Stuffings, mashes, dressings, salads, pies, and desserts. Then we'll sit down to some home made liquors (my Limoncello was really good this year) as well as cider, beer and other assorted drinkies.

We'll have some little (Home made) gifties, hopefully a few musicians and a damn good night.

And yes - my birthday is on the 23rd, so it'll be a double whammy!

Can't wait!!!

oooooohhhh, KA, what's your address again??!? :p :p :p :D :D

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds