Introduction of weeds to NZ

More
11 years 1 month ago #27240 by kate
I've had an email...

I am keen to find information on how NZ weeds were introduced to NZ. (celery leaf buttercup, among many) I am doing Horticultural studies and of course weed identification is part of the show. I have searched different web sites to no avail.

Interested to hear if you have any information.

I know lsb members have a vast amount of knowledge on a surprising number of issues - can anyone help?

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #375673 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Introduction of weeds to NZ
I can [}:)]

If anyone feels like reverting to childhood and reading a picture book on the subject online, check out weedbusters.co.nz/kids/weedy_reads_woodys_weedy_wanderings.pdf - more to do with ornamental plants and how they got spread around the place way back when, but some of the same pathways are responsible for 'incidental' agricultural/horticultural weeds that arrived in soil etc accidentally too...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 1 month ago #375676 by Stikkibeek
I also can. One of the worst "weeds" is Zizania latifolia, commonly known as Manchurian ricegrass. It inhabits all tributaries into the Northern Wairoa river as well as the river itself. It came to NZ as seed, in raw bricks that were made of mud in China and used as ballast in the early sailing ships that carried Kauri timber internationally. Since there was no sale for the bricks, they were dumped in their thousands along the river banks. Only good thing to come out of it in more recent years, is the discovery that the tough fibre makes extremely good paper.
www.nrc.govt.nz/Environment/Weed-and-pes...nchurian-Rice-Grass/

www.vunow.co.nz/zizania/

I would suspect that many weed seeds came here via similar methods, not the least of which would have been threshed meadow seed for scatter on bush burn. It would not have been screened, so whatever was in the meadow, would also have been in the seed bags.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds